April 2012 Moms
Options

Just a vent! (re: facebook and teaching)

Sorry if this ends up very long!

First of all, I am a 3rd grade teacher so maybe this is just striking a nerve with me.  There is a friend of mine on FB that has been talking about how her son has been having trouble with bullying for probably the past month or so (a different school than I teach at).  It started off with an incident on the playground, parents went to the administration to talk about it and go from there.  I guess it continued and so her FB rants got more heated and out of hand (IMO).  As of today she is homeschooling her son.

I totally agree that a child should feel safe at school and that schools (admin, teachers, staff, ect) should be aware and have procedures set in place for these kinds of things, but her view point is really rubbing me the wrong way.  She is basically saying that the school was doing nothing for her son and that he will learn so much more at home with her anyway.  Maybe the thing that gets me the most is the amount of parents that are commenting and agreeing that schools are "horrible", teachers do "nothing", and their children would all learn so much more at home with their parents if only they could all homeschool.  It just offends me as a teacher that so many people feel that way in this very small area I live in.

Ok, just had to get out that out there so I could hopefully move past it.  I would love to comment on FB, but that just isn't how I work.  I use FB to keep in contact with friends and family and remain as professional as I can while on there.  I am not about to open that can of worms.  :S

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Just a vent! (re: facebook and teaching)

• Options

Grrr!  I hate how poorly people think of teachers.  I don't know another group of people who give so much while getting such little respect.  I think you are doing the right thing by not commenting on FB about the situation.  You will not convince others to your point of view. 

In all honesty what you posted is about 50% of why I'm thinking that I will not go back to teaching next year.  Over the past few years I've gotten such little support that I have no desire to do it anymore. 

Good Luck and just know that you do a great service to the children you teach. 

• Options

I'm a 4th grade teacher and I know we have been going to monthly trainings about bullying bc of course, we can be held liable. 

I would not respond to her. It's a shame that she thinks she can replace a highly trained teacher and do a better job. Kids learn so much more than academics at school and now her kid won't. She is just hurting her own child. 

I just can't believe how many ppl don't respect teachers or education as a whole. It's really sad. 

Baby #2 is on the way!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby #1!
    Charles Edward 4/13/12 
    9 lbs 2 oz 22 & 3/4 inches
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageXimena M:

Grrr!  I hate how poorly people think of teachers.  I don't know another group of people who give so much while getting such little respect.  I think you are doing the right thing by not commenting on FB about the situation.  You will not convince others to your point of view. 

I agree. Bullying is no joke, but homeschooling isn't the answer (for most people) either. It sucks that people are just bashing the teachers and administrators without knowing the whole situation. 

• Options

This could get my started on a tangent, so I'm glad that you're professional enough to ignore the FB post. I absolutely agree that teachers/staff/administration should handle bullying within the classroom, but I think that some parents' perspective of what "bullying" is has started to get out of hand. Sometimes the kid getting bullied is actually the worse bully of all! If the school really was doing nothing to help her son, then shame on them, but most of the time, it's a case of the school not doing exactly what the parent wanted, which in their mind is "nothing."

As for homeschooling, I don't want to offend people. I realize there are situations where homeschooling is the only option for a family. But there is a reason that there is a profession dedicated to this skill. We no longer hand out dittos, ask the kids to write sentences 30 times or hand them a pack of flash cards to learn. Learning is cooperative and meaningful. Our students spend a good part of their day talking with each other about their own learning, sharing their learning, and working together to help everyone learn (yes, everyone, the low, the middle and the high). It's a shame that so many people are ignorant to how students learn today.

Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I don't think people realize how much training and 400 + college level classes go in to learning to become a teacher. Just because you know how to read does not mean that you can effectively teach a child to read (without creating unknown holes along the way) same goes for most all other things too. To say that they would learn better at home is silly. Such a big part of going to school is learning how to communicate in a group, problem solve issues independently, and basically how to be around people that don't share the same views and backgrounds.
  • Options

Meh, I decided not to be a drama llama.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"