School-Aged Children

Montessori Kindergarten?

I was wondering if any Moms have/had their children in a Montessori Kindergarten. If you do/did, what are your thoughts about the program? Do you feel as if your child would adapt well to going into a public school program later on, or would would they do better in a home-school or alternate educational environment?

Did you pick a program with 1/2, 3/4, or full day programs?

Anything you'd like to add about your experience?

We're considering adding our 4 year old into a Kindergarten program next spring. I'm trying to decide if he'd thrive well in a Montessori program. My understanding of them is that they teach life skills in addition to basic educational concepts. I've also heard that Montessori children tend to test higher in multiple areas. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks! :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Montessori Kindergarten?

• imagefredalina:
    Just FYI... Montessori traditionally starts at age 2.5 or 3 and goes in 3 year cycles. So a Montessori "kindergarten" actually starts 2 years earlier. I'm a big fan of Montessori but I wouldn't recommend it for just one year starting in K.
    Thank you! I had no idea.
  • Would starting 1st grade and staying in a Montessori program from then on be advisable?
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't do it for 1 year.  Personally, I took my kids out of Montessori at KG b/c it seemed that the other kids in the neighborhood had trouble adjusting to 1st.  But, I think that had more to do with the school I sent my kids to than Montessoris in general.  DS is in class with a boy that started 1st after Montessori (different school) and I think his transition was ok.  Also, a lot of the benefit of Montessori is culminating in KG, so your DC will have missed a lot by not being there for PS. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I don't have anything to add to the discussion of Montessori schools.

I just wanted to say that your screen name is hilarious, and it brought a smile to my face on this crappy Monday, so thanks! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Typically, it is beneficial for a child to start Montessori before Kindergarten...However, my son is currently in full day Kindergarten at a Montessori school.  He had no previous Montessori experience. 

We were in a bit of a tough spot.  My son was academically advanced for the local public schools, but a little behind for Montessori.  We had to choose between the chance he would be bored and get into trouble (public) or frustrated and trying to catch up (Montessori).  We're so glad we chose Montessori.  It took him about 3 mths to get completely caught up to the other Kindergarteners and now he does great.

All that being said, his Montessori school goes up to the 8th grade.  If the ones in your area only go to Kindergarten, I would find some other option.  If you want to talk or have any other questions for me, feel free to PM me.  I'll be happy to help with whatever I can.

GL!

IAmPregnant Ticker Support with Integrity
  • If you want to go with Montessori you needed to start sooner but if you choose to do it anyway do it now and it is best to keep them there until the last possible grade.

The style of teaching and learning is so different from a public school that going one year and then going to public school could cause problems behavioral and educational. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"