Breastfeeding

BM Oz for a 3 week old?

I have a medical procedure on Thursday which will not allow me to breast feed my son for at least 12 hours.  I have been pumping breastmilk and putting it in the freezer for the last week or so. I generally get anywhere from 2-3.5 oz of breastmilk each time I pump.

What I need to know is how many ounces should be in each feedings bottle for a 3 week old.  I have about 24 ounces put away already, but I honestly have no idea how much he should be eating per sitting. I want to be able to tell my DH or my Mom exactly how much they should be giving him so that he doesn't over eat and waste the small amount of milk that I have stored away.

I already know he will take a bottle as we have given him a bottle once just to make sure.  He seemed to guzzle the 2 oz that we gave him down at quite a fast pace, and that was when he was only just under two weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
m/c August 2007 - Blighted Ovum
Sean - Our IUI/Injectable miracle born Oct. 5, 2008.
Liam - Our second miracle born July 16, 2010

Re: BM Oz for a 3 week old?

• My DD was still only taking 2 oz at that age.  I'd have them start with that, and just wait and see if he is still hungry before giving more. Most BF babies tend to guzzle bottles and then spit up more....at least in my personal experience.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Between 2 and 3 oz.  Medela makes a 2.7 oz plastic storage container (I was given a few in the hospital when I had to pump) and they are just about the perfect size for feeding from newborn up to 2 or 3 months old.  It's best to start  with a smaller amount and then add to it if needed.  But according to my LC, you can also refrigerate breast milk in a bottle after the baby drinks from it and it's good for a few hours until the next feeding (unlike formula which goes bad after an hour).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • my baby ate 3 oz at that stage and he is a big eater so you should prob. be safe with that much.
  • DG1DG1 member

my 3.5w old is about 9 pounds and just jumped to 3.5 ounces per feeding (from 2.75 - 3 oz) and gets 7-8 feedings per day.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"