April 2012 Moms
Options

Do I need a new crib mattress?

I bought ours new when DS2 was born. He slept in it for about a year before being moved to a bunk with my DS1. I just worry because it's going on 4 years old. It always had a mattress waterproof pad on it and a sheet when he slept. But I still worry. FWIW, it wasn't a cheap one. It's a top of the line mattress. But if it isn't safe, i'll just throw it out and buy new. Thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac

Re: Do I need a new crib mattress?

• Options
    We're reusing DS' crib and mattress for this baby.
  • Options

I don't really get the whole mattress thing.  I don't see why it wouldn't' still be fine.  I understand carseat safety, crib safety, etc...but to me a mattress is a mattress.  I think really the only standard for a mattress is that it needs to be a firm one.  I dont see much difference between a $30 Kolcraft Mattress at Walmart vs a $300 Sealey at BRU?

I would say that it would be just fine for you to use for the new baby

BFP #1 - 04/11/2011 - EDD: 12/22/2011 -Natural MC 5/18/2011 @ 8w6d BFP

BFP #2 - 08/12/2011 - EDD: 04/21/2012 1st U/S 9/12/2011 - Healthy baby seen -- Heartbeat at 166!

BFP #3 - 08/02/2014 - EDD: 04/09/2015 ---Prayers for a take home baby

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If I still had my sons mattress I would totally use it!! I also had a waterproof thing on it, so it never got soiled. Hey, when you have three kids you gotta save where you can. Save that money for some really cute baby girl clothes!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't get a new one if you bought a new one for #2 and it was only used a year.  I will probably buy a new one for #3 b/c both of my kids used it and it was used for a good 4 years in total. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    imagesoftskate31:

Assuming it was stored in the house (not garage/shed) and you don't have bug or rodent issues - reusing it seems fine.  Is it still firm enough for a newborn (as far as face down breatheability?)

This was my thought.  As long it was stored in the house and not in a basement/garage, etc., I'd think it would be fine. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• Options
    imageMoneypenny424:
    imagesoftskate31:

Assuming it was stored in the house (not garage/shed) and you don't have bug or rodent issues - reusing it seems fine.  Is it still firm enough for a newborn (as far as face down breatheability?)

This was my thought.  As long it was stored in the house and not in a basement/garage, etc., I'd think it would be fine. 

Yep, it was kept in my DS2's old room. It's standing up on end, same place it's been for the past year and a half. I guess it's just been out of commission since last summer. That's when my DS's got the bunks and started sharing a room.

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • Options
    We're using DD's.  Like you, it's a top of the line mattress that was pretty pricey.  She's still in her toddler bed and will be at least until her birthday (I need to get back to work before we buy a double mattress for her big bed!) so we're going to buy her a cheapie toddler mattress to get her through the fall.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If both my boys were not still using theirs...Yes my 6 yo is still in a toddler bed (he's tiny).... I wouldn't buy a new one

Court
    DH 40  ME 40
    GD, Myasthenia Gravis, Factor V Leiden

DS #1 born via emergancy c-section 01/23/06 at 37w

DS#2 born via c-section 10/27/2007 at 36w due to PROM

DS #3 born via repeat c-section 04/13/2012 at 39w

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away." - George Carlin
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"