Austin Babies

weight loss peeps - i'm so hungry. help!

I'm only on day 3 of my healthy, watching what i eat, kick and i'm so hungry!

I figure my body has to get used to the reduction in calories, but help, i'm so hungry. it doesn't help that i sit at a desk all day. it just makes me want to snack.

what do you do to keep from being ravenous all day. have any healthy breakfast/lunch/snack ideas to keep me feeling full longer?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: weight loss peeps - i'm so hungry. help!

• Are you eating enough protein? I find that eating a tablespoon of peanut butter with some fruit is a good snack. 
  • Wait a minute...aren't you the one who lost 5 pounds over the holidays by merely getting up to pour yourself glasses of wine?! If I were you, I wouldn't do a darn thing differently. It sounds like bf-ing is doing your body right!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagegofurr25:
    Are you eating enough protein? I find that eating a tablespoon of peanut butter with some fruit is a good snack. 

I just had an apple and some almond butter post workout and I'm back at my desk.  It works for me.  I'm sure you're drinking water, but that helps too. My meal plan this week is egg whites for breakfast with some vegan queso (20 calories!) on Ezekiel bread (kind of like an open faced sandwich). I had turkey chili for lunch because we had the most leftovers.  For snacks, I have a banana, the apple and almond butter, veggies and hummus.  Dinner is all over the place. 

**formerly katattack - stupid bump made me change it**
  • A few suggestions:
    1) when you're hungry - drink a glass of water. . . if you finish the water, and are still hungry, then grab a snack. 
    2) Try eating things with more protein.  I like keeping unsalted nuts at my desk (I used to get them in bulk at sam's club).  I also keep fruit cups and apple sauce at my desk too.  I'd rather have something like that there than run down to the vending machine and eat something worse!
    3)  Try hummus & veggies.  I love cucumbers and carrots. . . and I started making my own hummus which is really easy.  If you have a fridge at work, you can probably even prep a few days of snacks in advance so that you dont have to haul it in everyday!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Pickles and pickled okra.  They are salty and crunchy like chips, but basically have no calories.  There's like 5 calories in a pickle.
  • imagebluestreet:
    Wait a minute...aren't you the one who lost 5 pounds over the holidays by merely getting up to pour yourself glasses of wine?! If I were you, I wouldn't do a darn thing differently. It sounds like bf-ing is doing your body right!

not quite. i just didn't gain any weight. i'm wondering if i'm eating enough calories, but i'm trying to give it a least 2 weeks to see. with dd bf-ing didn't help with weight loss so i'm just trying to speed up the process this time. :)

I've only been tracking for 3 days, but over those days i've averaged about 90 grams of protein. and i've drank a ton of water.

maybe it's just my body being like wtf, where's my food, after eating so much the last month?!?

• imagejml5q:

maybe it's just my body being like wtf, where's my food, after eating so much the last month?!?

Could be. I think mine is just starting to get the message.

ETA: and somehow I'm now back to my original screen name that I couldn't get into a few months ago.  Weird.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I try to eat a lot of protein, drink a lot of water and snack enough (I have to eat something every three hours or I get too hungry). Drinking coffee helps (with unsweetened almond milk and truvia).

It is hard sometimes to stay full..especially when I'm coming off of such bad eating (like I have been for the past month). 

• If you aren't going dairy-free, then string cheese could help. I love string cheese. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Can you post what you're eating in a typical day?
  • Protein and some healthy fats. Coconut oil always works for us. Your body doesn't need to break coconut oil down, it's used as energy straight away. 
  • imagejml5q:

This is totally happening to me, and I didn't even spend that much time off eating all the things.

I've been snacking on string cheese and cuties.  (Example: yesterday, I ate four cuties.)  Oh, and a handful of almonds!  The couple of hours at the end of the day are the worst for me.  (Before I go home and eat dinner.)

• You get used to it! Part of it is your body not being used to the calorie cut - but if you are really, really hungry to where your tummy is growling at the end of the day, listen to it and eat something. BUT - make it a good snack. Something small like string cheese, turkey jerky or bell peppers. Do not snack on anything sugary or any fruit - it'll only make it worse an hour later.

I've also found that eating higher quality items helps. My best example - eat spinach or arugula instead of iceberg lettuce.

• I feel best when I eat ~6 times a day. smaller meals with protein and ~30gcarb and then a fruit/veg with protein and ~15g carbs for the snacks.

It's what they have me on with GD and it makes me run efficiently and feel energy all day :)

• imageGuavaGal:

I've been snacking on string cheese and cuties.  (Example: yesterday, I ate four cuties.)  Oh, and a handful of almonds!  The couple of hours at the end of the day are the worst for me.  (Before I go home and eat dinner.)

I no longer feel bad about eating 3 cuties in one day.  I brought them thinking they would last me half the week,  they were all gone before 12:30

I also eat baby carrots,  they're so annoying to chew that I don't really want to eat anything else after a little bag 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • thanks for all the replies and suggestions! sorry i had to p&r, i left work.

i do think it's going to take some getting used to eating less. fwiw, i was eating out lunch every day the month of december at work, so it's a huge change to eat something way less caloric.

libby, my typical meal plan for a day looks a little like this:

breakfast: coffee w/ ff half & half, 1 serv. raisin bran or other high fiber cereal w 6oz 1% milk

lunch is typically leftovers from dinner or in a pinch a microwave lean cuisine or smart ones with a cutie or apple. i also go out to eat usually 1-2 times per week for work, which i can't get around. i try to choose healthy things but it's hard when the guys pick restaurants like salt lick and elgin sausage factory or whatever it's called.

dinner: protein in the form of chicken, pork, lean beef, generally grilled or baked and generally made using some sort of healthy recipe. starch of some sort, usually white or brown rice, mashed pototoes, sweet potatoes and sometime a veggie.

snacks - more cereal, yogurt & granola, kashi bars

i know i need to eat more veggies and i do need to plan a bit better. this week i didn't make it to the grocery store so i had to eat what was in the house. given those circumstances i think i've done ok this.

the hardest part of my day is definitely between 2pm-5pm at work.

andplusalso, to top it all off, i think i got my first pp period today. awesome.

• I have to second carlinlp then - you definitely need more protein and healthy fats, especially at breakfast. Prepping a salad for the week is super easy and you could add meat/avocado/olive or avocado oil to it for some healthy fats. That would keep you full for quite awhile! I know I probably have a reputation for being a little crazy about nutrition, but here's what I'm eating this week in case you're interested in how you could change your meals to keep you full longer. I also eat every 3 hours.

Breakfast: 4 egg whites, 1/2 avocado
    Post Workout: Sweet potato, chicken, roasted veggie
    Lunch: Spinach Salad with chicken, red peppers, cucumbers, 1/2 avocado, drizzle of olive or avocado oil, salt & pepper
    Snack: 2 hard boiled eggs, banana, almond butter
    Snack 3: Turkey, Zucchini, & Apple Hash (I can email you the recipe - it's delicious!) cooked in coconut oil, raspberries
    Dinner: Tilapia/other white fish, 2 c. stir fry veggies (fish & veggies cooked in coconut oil), apple

I also keep Larabars on hand if I'm out and need a snack. They're a great alternative to typical granola bars! If you're hungry, you should eat, but make sure it's coming from GOOD food!

• thanks libby. i don't think your nutrition is crazy, just healthy. i remember a time way before kids when i ate very similarly. i've just gotten out of the habit. i know what to eat, i just need to choose to eat that way!!

i'd love the recipe, i'm always looking for new healthy recipes!

jml5q at hotmail dot com

thanks!

• Just an idea- similar to Libby's- instead of high-card snacks, focusing on protein will satisfy you more efficiently and will last significantly longer.  A small handful of raw unsalted almonds in the afternoon is my go-to mid-afternoon snack.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"