April 2012 Moms
Options

Semi-Controversial Topic --- Lets hear your opinions

2»

Re: Semi-Controversial Topic --- Lets hear your opinions

• Options
    imageAshleyC0117:
    imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:

I only read the first two sentences of this.

There are no bad dogs/breeds, but bad owners. I firmly believe that any dog/breed is capable of being bad if they are raised/trained to be.

I find this post extremely ignorant TBH.

Well said. I agree.  

Thank you!

And thanks Tamb for stating you read the OP the same, and BabysMom for saying you got my logic later on. 

I will refrain from making non P&R comments in the future.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have to say that I fully believe that there are no bad dog breeds, only bad owners. I am the proud owner of a pit bull (an American Pit Bull Terrier) and she is a very sweet dog, but we have invested countless hours in training her. She is an inside house dog...a member of our family, not a resident dog that lives her entire life outside. 

I also have to say that I am disgusted with some of the attitudes toward shelter dogs.

IMO, I think that "buying" a dog is not cool when you could easily save the life of one in a shelter. 

imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:

I only read the first two sentences of this.

There are no bad dogs/breeds, but bad owners. I firmly believe that any dog/breed is capable of being bad if they are raised/trained to be.

I find this post extremely ignorant TBH.

I must say that I agree with this.

The only thing that makes this topic controversial is ignorance. I will argue that ANY dog breed can be dangerous if raised/breed improperly until I am blue in the face.  

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I don't know if I would ever feel comfortable with a pit bull around a child.  That being said, I feel that for the most part it is the owner not the breed.  I have a German Shepard/Rotti/question mix.  Both breeds are concidared dangerous.  I have had him since he was six weeks old.  I took him to classes as soon as he was old enough.  I have never had any problems with him and have no concerns with him being around the baby.  Well one, he is still puppy like. 
  • Options

I don't think adopting a dog so soon before the baby comes is the best idea. I still have worries about my two dogs (aged 9 and 2) adjusting to the baby. I think it's a lot to ask of any dog to be adopted, adjust to a new home and then be thrust into a whole new environment.

I can only hope they've done their research and are willing and able to meet both the demands of the dog and the newborn, and not give up on the dog easily.

As for the pitbull comments, I agree with PPs, that it all depends on the owner. Same as with any breed. I know a lot of people who dislike small breeds because they expect them to be "yappy ankle biters" but when they meet my dogs (a chihuahua and a mini-poodle/dacshund cross), they are shocked at how "different" they act.

• Options
    You have no way to know how any dog will react to the lifestyle change of adding a baby to your home. Your dog could be great around your neighbor kids or nieces and nephews but they could react agressively toward a baby would doesn't go home. Like others have said, it has nothing to do with the breed. Each dog is different just like each person is different. I think its similar to racism. Like say all people of this race have this trait.
  • Options
    imageKaitQuinn:

Pitbulls score better than 121 other breeds in temperament and are considered by educated people to be a gentle breed.  They have had some bad breaks lately but in the right home they are wonderful dogs.  I hate the reputation that they have .

What a sweet face!! Pitts are great (as are any breed) as long as they are trained appropriately. I used to volunteer for an organization that pairs emotionally impaired children with dogs that had been rescued. (Each dog's temperament was tested first) They trained the dog they were paired with so that the dogs would be more adoptable. One of the sweetest and most cuddly dogs was a pittbull. She was extremely strong, smart and oh so sweet. Definitely a misunderstood breed.

I wouldn't be able to handle a puppy, of any breed, and a newborn though.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageKFCupcake:

My parents have a pitbull/rottweiler who is the sweetest dog and biggest baby.  I would take her over my SIL's chihuahua/boston terrier around my child anyday.

I definitely think there are breeds that have certain personality traits, but the owners are the key to a mean dog.

And FWIW, I do NOT think this is an ignorant post at all.  I think it's ignorant to call a post ignorant when you didn't read the whole thing.  FAIL.

Yup, agreed.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Just for sake of being an AW & that she is part pit...

how could you not adore this face? 

I just wish my landlord would allow dogs & I could keep her with me instead of at my parents. :( 

• Options
    I know that I am WAAAY late to the game here but I just feel like there is one issue missing in all these posts. Background: my aunt is a private dog trainer and got me in to the business when I was 15. I do it in my spare time for the Humane Society and the Alternative Humane Society when I am not teaching (usually in the summer) I work with the "hopeless cases" and rehabilitate them. I love training pits. They are smart, funny, and very loyal companions. That being said, they are solid bricks of muscle that could literally tear you apart if they decided to. I keep seeing posts where people talk about small dogs being dangerous . Yes, they could make it so that you required a few stitches. Worst case scenario with a pit, you're dead. EVERY DOG HAS A LINE YOU COULD CROSS. That line might be easier to get to with some dogs than others. A sweet, well balanced Pit might require a serious injury or dementia to snap but you must respect that their bodies were crafted to do deadly damage on other living creatures. I think most pit owners respect that and I think that is is something that should be considered when you are getting one. Again, I am NOT a pit hater, some of my favorite dogs are pits. I just think it is ignorant to think that pits just as safe to own as any other dog. 
  • Options

The bump ate my post twice, so I'll just say I love pits (see avatar). They're great dogs. Here's a picture of my dog, Sarah, meeting my 10 year old and 18 month old cousins. I think the picture kind of speaks for itself.

-------------------------------------
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"