Georgia Babies
Options

Daycare Immunity?

The first year Geneva was in daycare was the sickest I've ever been in my life. If you're on kid #2 in daycare, were you granted any kind of immune system reprieve? Or should I just expect to catch everything Cecil gets too?
Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Daycare Immunity?

• Options
    We were all so much healthier with #2.  #1 and my husband and I were sick at least once a month with #1 for all winter months of the first 2 years.  #2 has gotten sick enough to stay home from daycare twice in two years.  And DH and I have not gotten sick at all except for a few sniffles.
  • Options

I don't even want to jinx myself by responding, but here goes nothing.

I have been less sick as Ava has gotten older.  Like once they hit the 3-year mark, it was a dramatic dropoff in illnesses for them and me.

***looking around and ducking for cover for the inevitable cloud of sickeness that is coming to get me now***

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagedoctryan:
    We were all so much healthier with #2.  #1 and my husband and I were sick at least once a month with #1 for all winter months of the first 2 years.  #2 has gotten sick enough to stay home from daycare twice in two years.  And DH and I have not gotten sick at all except for a few sniffles.

Pretty much ditto!  Baby #2 didn't go for a sick visit until she was 7 months and that was only because we couldn't tell if she was wheezing and we were out of town.  With #1 we lived in the doctor mainly due to lack of experience.  WIth #2 we were just more prepared but she has not had as many nasty colds, virus, and #1.  Also our health is so much better, I guess we built up an immunity lol.

• Options
    Ethan was sick with everything imaginable his first year and I was concerned Jack would be that way when he got his first illness at 5 weeks of age (from his brother, of course), but fortunately, Jack was never real sickly his first year.  He got your basic illnesses, but it was never to the extreme as it was with Ethan.  My dh seldom catches anything the boys get, but I pretty much catch everything they catch.  Even though I wash my hands obsessively and try my best to be careful around them, you pretty much are screwed when they sneeze directly in your face :-)  But, things have gotten much better as they have gotten older. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sadly, I have to say that I think we have all been sicker w/ #2.  But I attribute that mostly to the fact that we deal with 3 different sets of daycare germs every week (Gavin's daycare, Sophie's daycare, church preschool).  That's a lot of nastiness coming our way and we really never know where the germs came from!  Looking forward to simplifying things soon and moving them to the same daycare... although that's a whole NEW set of germs to contend with- ugh.  DH rarely gets sick and he has had several colds this past year.  I have a crappy immune system anyway so I don't even bother counting my own colds.  As for the kids, Sophie has pretty much followed Gavin's pattern of illness.  Very healthy for the first 6-8 mos.  Then she weaned and it has been one thing after another.  My biggest concern is stopping the cycle before it turns into the pneumonia/breathing troubles that we had with Gavin.  I think this is her 3rd or 4th ear infection.  One more, and we head to the ENT for tubes.  I'm not playing around with it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"