Georgia Babies
Options

Montessori vs.traditional daycare

DH is on one of his kicks again.  My BIL/SIL (his brother) is starting their son in montessori school soon and now DH is all over it as well.  I'm sure I could Google it but what is the biggest difference between typical daycare programs versus montessori programs. 

TIA!

Re: Montessori vs.traditional daycare

• Options
    My very limited understanding of it is that Montessori is more child directed and led activity than teacher directed. The child learns more from self exploration than from teacher led or group activities. Some montessoris also mix age groups. They are less schedule driven and work on fostering the child's independence. I honestly think my ds would probably do well in a Montessori environment but until recently there weren't any good ones near us and we're already so embedded at our current daycare that I have no desire to transition now. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMrs Manners:
    My very limited understanding of it is that Montessori is more child directed and led activity than teacher directed. The child learns more from self exploration than from teacher led or group activities. Some montessoris also mix age groups. They are less schedule driven and work on fostering the child's independence. I honestly think my ds would probably do well in a Montessori environment but until recently there weren't any good ones near us and we're already so embedded at our current daycare that I have no desire to transition now. 

This is right. It is very individualized and child led. It is a great fit for some kids but not for all. I also question a daycare that says it is montessori, anyone can attach that label to themselves but very few schools in Atlanta are true Montessori schools. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much ladies!  DH gets on kicks when hears someone else doing something other than what we are and won't.let.it.go......  One of my biggest pet peeves. 
  • Options

I have several friends whose kids are at Montessori.  They all love it, and I have to say: their kids seem so much more independent & advanced than my other friends kids the same age.  They really expect them to be able to be more self-sufficient, and so they are.  My friends who are pre-school teachers have stressed that it is great for kids that are normal or even gifted, but if your child has any sort of delays or learning issues/ADD, it probably isn't the right program for them. Reggio is similar to Montessori but not quite as "out there" if you want a nice compromise.  I believe Peachtree Pres is all Reggio.  

If we could afford it we would put E into Montessori.  I love the principles.  

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageThat.Just.Happened:

Reggio is similar to Montessori but not quite as "out there" if you want a nice compromise.  I believe Peachtree Pres is all Reggio.  

If we could afford it we would put E into Montessori.  I love the principles.  

My son is at a Reggio school (APP), it is based on the beliefs of Maria Montessori but is actually quite different - Reggio is a project based curriculum. Children come up with an idea and then they work with the teachers to gather materials, work in different mediums and further the learning. It is very group oriented, and documenting what is going on is very important. Teachers are the guides and facilitators but at the end of the day it is all what the kids want to do.

With Montessori the kids work on a project from start to finish and don't move on until they master the skill. With Reggio if the kids take the project in another direction it is fine.

They are both awesome ways of learning, for certain kids. My son thrives with the Reggio approach (and his school is a very Reggio school. P'tree Pres is one, so is St James and St Annes but I am not sure if they are as fully ingrained in Reggio as APP) but he would not thrive at all with Montessori. 

• Options
    imagefrlcb:

Reggio is a project based curriculum. Children come up with an idea and then they work with the teachers to gather materials, work in different mediums and further the learning. It is very group oriented, and documenting what is going on is very important. Teachers are the guides and facilitators but at the end of the day it is all what the kids want to do.

With Montessori the kids work on a project from start to finish and don't move on until they master the skill. With Reggio if the kids take the project in another direction it is fine.

This sounds much like the constructivist teaching that happens at High Meadows in Roswell. We went with Montessori because I couldn't find a constructivist school in Houston that had an opening and I really wanted to get Audrey into school. It has been great for both kids. Audrey's transition from Montessori to public Kindergarten has been pretty good too. Her teacher's only complaint is that she wants to do things her way and isn't keen on following directions if she wants to do something a different way. But, I'm okay with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"