Georgia Babies
Options

Paci weaning

I am having a terrible time getting L off the paci.  She screams for it, and honestly I can't take the screaming tantrums.  She goes all day at daycare without it.  She even naps at daycare without it.  She will hand it right to her teachers and go about her business like it is no big deal.  But when DH or I am around she goes and throws a fit about it. 

Today I was sorting out clothes for DS and she saw me put a pack of blue paci's in with his stuff.  She knows her colors, so I explained to her that all blue paci's belong to little brother.  I am seriously thinking about cutting the tip of her paci's to see if that will make her give them up.

Do you think this is a bad idea with another baby coming? I don't think she will give them to the baby.  I just don't want her freaking out about a paci and waking the new baby trying to get it from him.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Paci weaning

• Options
    If you were earlier in the pregnancy I would say do it cold turkey.  But at 35 weeks... no way in hell would I start any kind of new transition now.  I made that mistake with Gavin- switched his daycare 1 month before Sophie was born.  Good decision in the long run. BAD decision in the short term.  It sucked and made the whole new baby adjustment thing harder on us all.  Nope... go with the status quo for a while and maybe even buy her some more just in case. 

• Options
    I would let her keep for them awhile after the baby gets there. Its not like there won't be pacis around for her to see and try to have, so I think taking it now would just be a battle. We planned to take Owen's at 2, but thing after thing happened and so we let him keep it. Well, at 3 we knew it had to go. I was expecting this horrible battle because he was like Lily and would throw a holy fit if we told him he couldn't have it or we didn't have one in the car when we picked him up from school. Ultimately, we did the paci fairy, put them all in a bag and we walked them out to the mailbox. He cried for about 15 minutes and then was done. He got his big boy present from them paci fairy the next day and has been fine ever since. I couldn't believe how easy it was for a kid that was SO paci addicted. Let her have it until after the baby comes and she has time to adjust, then start talking up the "big girl" stuff in a few months. A few months won't really matter in the grand scheme of things and make it easier for yourself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    P had her paci until she was 2 yrs and 9 months.  We were slow to potty train, too.  So far I see no emotional scarring from being a little behind the curve.  New baby trumps the peanut gallery and I would let her have it but restrict its use to her bed only.
  • Options
    We weaned Emma just before Abby arrived.  It was never any big deal, didn't make her world tumble down around her, and she never even attempted to steal Abby's passy.  We limited it to the bed and the car only from about 8 months on.  She just knew to toss it into the crib when she woke up.  We eventually went to just the bed, no car.  Then, we started cutting the tip.  We did it gradually.  Every few days, we'd cut a little more.  She would try to suck on it still, until it just got so short that she couldn't.  No tantrums about it EVER.  She never saw us cut it, it just happened.  I say go for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Bella had hers until this past Oct (she is 3).  I took her to Build-A-Bear and told her to kiss it and then we put it inside her teddy with the heart so it will always be with her.  I'm not going to lie, the first 2 days were hell.  Every once in a while she asks for it and will occasionally ask me to take it out of her teddy but I tell her no, she is a big girl now and her teddy needed it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

We have a little bit different situation b/c I was not pregnant but was trying for a very long time to get Ava off the paci.  I would encourage her to get rid of it by telling her about the pacifairy who would take her paci to little babies that needed it and leave her a surprise in return.  Finally one day at bedtime she handed it to me and we were done.  She got a new toy in place of it and about 3 nights later asked for it and I reminded her that she gave it to the pacifairy and she got a toy in return.  She said ok and that was the last we heard of the paci.  

My problem with taking it away was that it was something that soothed her.  She only had it at bedtime and like Lily never took it at daycare after moving to the 1 year old room.  The only reason I wanted to take it away was b/c people thought I should and that wasn't good enough for me.  So I let her keep it way past what I said I would ever let my child keep one before I had kids.  If she was a thumb sucker I wouldn't be able to take her thumb away so I let her decide when she was done with it.  Although I will admit that if she didn't get rid of it after 3 years old we were going cold turkey!  

photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"