January 2012 Moms

Hospitals & Doctors

Last week I went in to OB triage for a few hours with a really bad headache from high blood pressure.   After a few hours, my BP went down and I was sent home to enjoy Christmas with bed rest.  Okay - bed rest for me is more like taking it easy, when I feel tired, relax and try to take more naps. 

I had an apt on Tuesday with a new Dr (my dr is on vacation for 10 days!), let's just call her Mrs. Vulcan.  She's scary.  She was visably pissed that I decided to go to my local hospital to get checked out (5 minutes from my house) rather than driving the hour to get checked at her hospital.  Okay -  I knew that my high BP would not get me admitted for a long time.  I was prepared to see the dr. on call.  What gives?  I've heard horror stories about Mrs. Vulcan, and REALLY do not like her.

So now I'm having some contractions and think that maybe I might go into labor in the next few days... when my dr. is still away.  How horrible would it be to go to the local hospital instead of my dr.'s hospital so I don't have to deal with Mrs. Vulcan????

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Hospitals & Doctors

• Go where you'll feel the most comfortable.  Nothing says you have to have Mrs. Vulcan if you go to the hospital your dr usually delivers at.  You can explain to the staff that your dr is on vacation and you don't care for the dr covering her practice and ask if it's possible to have one of the other on call or hosptial drs attend your delivery.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have no answers for you, but I feel the same way. I'm secretly hoping my doctor is not on call so I will have someone else. I feel like its too late to switch doctors within the office because I could still end up with her if she is on call, and that would be akward!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Aside from the preregistration issue, I'd say it's better to have a stranger deliver your baby than a doctor you've only met a little bit and KNOW you don't like.  Plus, closer to your house is nice.
  • Go where you feel comfortable. Just make sure it's covered by your insurance. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Agree with pp, be prepared to pay lots extra because most bill a global rate for your prenatal care and your delivery. Does your practice have midwifes? That is our plan if my Dr isn't available. Sorry your dealing with this!
  • If you don't like the vulcan doctor, don't go back to her. Go to the other hospital.  They aren't going to turn you away when you're in active labor.  You don't have to explain yourself or your actions to her as she isn't 'your' doctor anyway. I would just let the closer hospital know that all you want from this doc is your charts, not the doc herself. Worst case, you never see her again or your doc gets back from vacation and it's a non issue. 
  • My practice is pretty big and they make no guarantee that your doctor will actually deliver you.  If it is a regular delivery, it is whoever is scheduled for the hospital that day/whoever is on call.  Perhaps your practice is the same way and you will get a different doctor?

Also, my understanding is that usually the doctor is just there for the end to catch the baby.  Most of your time will be spent with the nurses, etc in L&D.

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
    BabyName Ticker
  • imageGingerWife:

My practice is pretty big and they make no guarantee that your doctor will actually deliver you.  If it is a regular delivery, it is whoever is scheduled for the hospital that day/whoever is on call.  Perhaps your practice is the same way and you will get a different doctor?

Also, my understanding is that usually the doctor is just there for the end to catch the baby.  Most of your time will be spent with the nurses, etc in L&D.

Good luck! 

This is very true.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetheladyjess:
    Go where you'll feel the most comfortable.  Nothing says you have to have Mrs. Vulcan if you go to the hospital your dr usually delivers at.  You can explain to the staff that your dr is on vacation and you don't care for the dr covering her practice and ask if it's possible to have one of the other on call or hosptial drs attend your delivery.
    exactly this. There's no rule that says you have to see her when it makes you that uncomfortable.  This is your birthing experience and medical care. Don't let her (or your fear of her) ruin it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Its a choice you have to make but definately check with your insurance or your practice's billing office...my OB contract is global and includes the L@D charges for my doc (or whoever I get from my office since my doc just had a baby) if I went to a different hospital and was delviered by a doc from some other practice I have no idea how this would impact us insurance wise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"