Georgia Babies
Options

Toddler Terrorizing Dog

DS (20 months) loves our dog... too much. He is very rough when he plays with him. Today our dog growled at him and nipped a little. (Didn?t leave a mark but has me freaked out.)  Has anyone dealt with this and made it work?  Any suggestions?

DS loves to read, can anyone recommend a book for little guys about being nice to dogs?  

TIA! 

Team Green for #2! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Shmoo is growing up! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Toddler Terrorizing Dog

• Options

Mia is pretty rough with our boxer (the other one steers clear of her), so we had to go over how to pet / play with him like a million times.  We also have her help us feed the dogs, brush them, etc.  I think the nurturing part of the actions help her understand (a little - she is still a little crazy with them!).

These books are pretty good:  

Pat them Gently

Tails are not for Pulling

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! *Runs to Amazon to buy books*
    Team Green for #2! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Shmoo is growing up! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemingaling1:

Mia is pretty rough with our boxer (the other one steers clear of her), so we had to go over how to pet / play with him like a million times.  We also have her help us feed the dogs, brush them, etc.  I think the nurturing part of the actions help her understand (a little - she is still a little crazy with them!).

These books are pretty good:  

Pat them Gently

Tails are not for Pulling

I love that Pat Them Gently is $238 for a new version.  I bought a bunch of copies of that book in the Target $1 bin a few years ago. Seems to have gotten a bit pricier since then.  =) 

RE: your dog, while I don't think growling/nipping is ok, it sounds like your dog has been extremely patient and is only just now, after 20 months, getting to the point where he is trying to set boundaries. Sounds like he is giving the same signals he would give a rambunctious puppy to put them in their place.  Unfortunately, while a puppy will understand those signals, a toddler probably won't.  I think it is really important to protect your animals from kid abuse.  Someone has to be their advocate, and that person is you.  

Your dog is giving what sounds like are appropriate reactions/signals that your child's behavior is not ok, but since your child isn't going to understand those, I think it is important for you to be there to prevent and protect.  Also, please understand, I am only saying this behavior from your dog is appropriate because it sounds like it is the first time after 20 months of living with your child and what sounds like a lot of over-eager "affection"  ;)  that your dog is reacting this way.  In this case, I think you should immediately reprimand your dog for the growling/nipping (a stern NO) but then also immediately reprimand your child and remove them from the dog.  Also be sure to praise both dog and child a ton for good behavior. 

Until your child is a bit older and can understand better what is appropriate behavior with the dog, I think you may need to act as the intermediary between them.  It's not fair to subject your dog to rough treatment, and you certainly don't want it escalating to a situation where your dog feels that the only way to protect themself is with a real bite.

Good luck!  We struggle with this as well, as I like to say, Everett loves the cat & dog a little too hard.  =) 

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"