Health & Exercise

Tea?

TTC, missed period on 10/23, took test on 10/25 neg?

I know that it's a good idea to stay away from caffeine but what about Herbal Tea? I have a ton of it and I love to drink it on a blustery day, like today, should I stay away from it or not worry about it and drink to my hearts desire?

Re: Tea?

• Even when preggo they say 2 cups of caffeine a day is okay. I would stick with that... bsts.
  • The American Academy of Pediatrics advises against use of >2 c herbal teas during pregnancy due to unknown safety/efficacy during pregnancy.  They also recommend only using tea from filtered tea bags. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Herbal tea has lots of antioxidants that are great for you!! I would say caffeine free herbal tea is great, but I would stay away from other teas that do have caffeine in them.
  • I think it reall depends on which herbs are in the tea.  If it's something that has been thoroughly tested as safe (like peppermint tea), then it's probably fine to drink to your heart's content.  But if it's some weird chinese herb rarely found in US teas, I'd advise caution.  The point is, not all herbal teas are the same, so you can assume all are safe or all are dangerous.  If you are uncertain, talk to your doc.  I go by the theory that variety is the best so that you can get a wide range of nutrients/antioxidants, but aren't riskingtoo much of one possibly-unknown adverse effect.  I mostly drink mint, chamomile, and fruit herb teas.
  • My doula told me that the caffeine in tea is fine, but stay away from coffee and soda.
  • Herbal tea is not tea; there is no caffeine at all in "herbal tea", so you should be fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just make sure you know what herbs you are drinking.  Some are not good for you... Peppermint is good.

• I believe most recommendations are to drink less than 150-300mg of caffeine per day. Tea is good for you b/c of the antioxidants, but there are some herbal teas that your are supposed to stay away from (ie chamomile and a couple of others).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"