December 2011 Moms

Birth story of Aubree Elise (great induction)

I don't post on here much, I mostly just lurk. But I wanted to post my birth story because it was an awesome induction experience. Sorry this is so long!

I should start by saying that I opted to be induced at 39 weeks. I was 2-3 cm, no effacement and no contractions when I went into the hospital.

We were told to be at the hospital at 11:50 pm on December 5th to start admissions paperwork. So DH and I got there at 11:50, did all of our paperwork and got back to a room at about 12:30 am. By the time I changed, my nurse checked me and started my IV it was about 2:00 am. She then inserted the first round of Cytotec on my cervix and we went to sleep. She came back at about 4:30 am to check me and insert the next round of Cytotec. I hadn't had much change at this point.

We went back to sleep until 7:00 am when a new nurse came to check me again. Let me just say that she was awesome. I had her all day until DD was born and I absolutely loved her. She said my cervix was a little softer, but still not much change. I started to get a little worried at this point and in the back of my mind wondered if this was really going to work. She suggested that I go ahead and get my epi before the OB came to break my water and started the pit, I agreed.

At 7:30 am they came to insert my epi and I was so nervous about this! Of course my DH had just gone to get breakfast, so my nurse was the only one there to support me. I actually think this was a good thing because she knew exactly what he was doing, how long it would take and how it would feel. So she was a great coach during this. Just as he was finishing up my epi, my OB came in to break my water. So he had to wait around for a few minutes for them to finish. My epi had not had time to kick in yet, so breaking my water was probably the worst part of my entire L&D experience. It hurt so bad and was completely awful. But they finally got it broke about 8:00 am. My nurse said she would be back in a few minutes to start the pit.

At 8:30 am my pitocin was finally started. I had consistant contractions all day but didn't feel a thing. I wasn't checked again until 11:00 am and I was 4 cm and things were moving along slowly. My nurse guessed I would have a baby by the time her shift ended at 7:00 pm that night. She came in about every 45 minutes to up my pit dose. She came back at 1:00 pm to check me and I was 6 cm. Then again at 2:00 pm I was 8 cm. I started feeling so much pressure in my bottom, so I called my nurse and she came to check me at 2:30 and I was complete. My epi was great. I didn't feel pain, but I could feel all the pressure. I could feel the contractions building and knew when to push.

I did a few practice pushes while we waited on my OB to come from his office across the street. My mom, MIL and DH were all in the room with me and watched the entire thing. I pushed for an hour and was feeling so tired. The pressure at the end there was so intense. I never imagined that it would feel like THAT! So the OB asked if he could help me out a little and I said yes! So he put a little suction cup on DD's head and out she came on the next push at 3:29 pm on December 6th! They put her on my chest while DH cut the cord. She was 7 pounds 13 ounces and 21 inches long. She scored an 8 on the APGAR. I delivered the placenta and got stitched up from my 2nd degree tear. She got to spend the next hour with us until it was time for her to go to the nursery for her bath.

We did try to BF for the first week, but I have flat nipples and she wouldn't latch well even with a nipple shield. She lost a pound and was jaundiced. She ended up on the billi lights for two days. It was so much on me and I felt like I was starving my child. By the end of the first week she would just cry when I tried to feed her and I would usually end up in tears too. So now we FF and it is just whats best for us.

If you are still reading this you deserve a cookie! Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Birth story of Aubree Elise (great induction)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"