Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Not Sleeping/Belly Sleeping

Our LO has done a really good job of STTN starting at 3 months with the exception of being up a few nights due to teething. He's now 7 1/2 months and had his first fever on Monday night/all day Tuesday. Because of that, I have been cuddling him like crazy and letting him sleep on my chest. He started feeling better Tuesday night and is almost back to being 100% today. Since his fever, he has NOT STTN at all. I think he got pretty comfy falling asleep on my chest. Every time DH or I put him in his crib, he wakes up screaming almost immediately. I'm about to go crazy!

So tonight, like every night this week, I've rocked him, nursed him, and put him in his crib. He wakes up screaming. We let him cry it out for as long as we can take, then DH goes in, comforts him, puts him back in his crib, LO cries it out... etc.  LO fell asleep pretty quickly tonight (meaning after 30 minutes of cio), so I went in to check on him, and he rolled over to his stomach! He's sound asleep and I even put my hand on his back to make sure he's still breathing. He has never rolled over in his crib like that. Should I roll him back over? Should I be worried? I keep checking on him because I'm so paranoid. Have your doctors ever said anything like if they roll over on their own, they're okay? Obviously if I had been asleep, I wouldn't have known that he had rolled over. What would you do? Leave him? Put him on his back again? He also has bumpers on his crib, so I worry about him suffocating. Ahh... so much worrying... I need a glass of wine. :o)

TIA and Happy New Year, Mommas!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Not Sleeping/Belly Sleeping

• Reese has been belly sleeping since she was able to roll at 4.5 months. There is no stopping her.  I still get worried every night though.  
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Does Reese start on her back or do you put her on her belly? This makes me feel better, though. Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one worrying. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • DS started fighting his sleep at 6.5 months or so. It was terrible. He would cry for over an hour (with us checking in on him every 10 minutes or so). I would put him on his back but he would curl up on his side most of the time. Now when I put him in he just rolls straight to his tummy. It has really helped him get to sleep without fussing so when I put him to bed now I just put him on his tummy. He is really strong and he pushes his upper body up with no problem. I think at this age it is fine. 

DD started sleeping on her tummy at 7 months as well and as soon as she started doing it she started STTN from 7pm to 7am. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Originally we put her on her back, but in about 5 minutes at 4.5 she would roll to her stomach. Now as soon as we place her in the crib, she flips right to her stomach. She LOVES being on her stomach during playtime and night. She gets super mad if she is on her back (like during a diaper change)
    My daughter is my hero.
  • My LO has been consistently sleeping on his stomach since around 5 months. Originally, we laid him flat on his back and he rolled from there. Now, I actually lay him on his side and he usually rolls to his stomach immediately. MANY babies (and older kids/adults) prefer belly sleeping. My LO actually sleeps far better on his belly. Our pediatrician told us at his 4 month appointment to anticipate this behavior, and that if LO was consistently getting himself onto his stomach, we should take that as an indicator that he was strong enough to do so safely. I would only have gotten really worried if he was still unable to roll stomach to back when he started doing this. Also, make sure there really is nothing soft in the crib w/ LO.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If they are able to roll over to sleep, it is fine! My little guy sleeps sooo much better on his tummy!
  • Thank you for all of the responses. That makes me feel much better. I know that I can't control it, and honestly, I'd rather he sleep on his belly if he is more comfortable. I am also a belly sleeper, so it's unnatural for me to sleep on my back; I get his frustration! haha

The only thing soft we have in his crib are the bumpers, and we make sure he is sleeping in the center of his crib when we put him down. He is a pretty strong baby, but could care less about rolling from his belly to his back. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"