December 2011 Moms
Options

Throwing up

DS has had a few bouts of throwing up over the past few days that have me freaked out. At his weight check Friday the pedi said to keep an eye on it because it could indicate pyloric stenosis.

On Thursday he had a feeding where he threw up (a lot at once, and forceful enough to hit just beyond his feet while sitting up) each time he came off the breast (3x) to burp. Then today he has thrown up (same amount of projectile) what appears to be most or all of a feeding twice and both were from the second feeding of a cluster feeding, so maybe it was just too much milk?

The pedi said we would just know if it was enough throwing up to call her regarding concern of pyloric stenosis, but I know babies throw up sometimes too. He spits up a bit with many of his other feedings, but nothing significant. 

So, question is - does your LO throw up? What are your thresholds on when you would call the pedi? We do have another appointment on Tuesday, so hoping we don't have any more incidents before then and I can just mention it then. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Throwing up

• Options
    Most babies spit up, but what you are describing sounds like projectile vomit. I would call your pedi and talk about a diet change for you, possibly eliminating dairy to see if that helps. He could be refluxy.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options

My LO has projectile vomited twice, what I have read is that it can happen from them over eating, and/or reflux. We try to keep our LO upright while eating and for 20-30 minutes after eating and it seems to have helped quite a bit even with her minor spit ups. It also can be a sign to call the pedi if they are hungry sooner than their next feeding after they vomit multiple times because that means they aren't keeping enough to get their nutrients. 

Definitely talk to your pedi when you are there, but I would give those things a try, see how your LO reacts. Good luck.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

DS throws up on occation too. It doesn't travel too far projectile wise, but it is a fair amount of undigested milk. It happens once or twice in a day if it happens.  We're pretty sure it is because the little guy nurses SO much..he over-fills his tummy and as soon as I adjust how he's laying or try to burp him...*barf!*

I may ask our Dr. about it though if it keeps up. He's done it probably 4 or 5 times total since we got him home. (he's 3 weeks old) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"