Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Gas remedy recommendation?

DD has reflux, and tends to latch, unlatch & relatch herself when she's BFing, I think the combination of the two means she's getting a TON of air when she eats, I burp her as gently as I can, because if I burp her too rough she throws up all over me ( We don't have her on meds, the Rantadine made her miserable).  We give her gripe water pretty much as often as the label says we can, but she still seems miserable, the label says every 4 hours as needed, come hour 3 she's fussy, and farting - she cries every time she farts, and her belly gets really hard, whenever she gets that way I try bicycling her legs & holding her facing out and pulling up on her legs - which seems to help a little as long as she's not red-faced screaming :(

Like I've said, we've tried Gripe Water, Mylicon, I've eliminated corn, soy, milk, & fruit sugars from my diet (We took her to a chiropractor that tested her for food intolerances, that's what he said she was having trouble with), i also stopped eating many gassy veggies, and I also take an enzyme after each meal to help break all the food down further.

My Pedi suggested Biogaia - a probiotic drop for her, I need to order it online and haven't yet, Does anyone have any experience with it? or does anyone have any other suggestions as to what else we can try? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Gas remedy recommendation?

• Just wanted to say that we use BioGia - I ordered it online from Walgreens.com and it does come in an insulated package (it has to be kept refrigerated). If you have a local Walgreens they may carry it in the pharmacy area behind the counter as well. I understand it can take a month to have it's full effect but it is one of the few things that has been clinically shown to be effective. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not sure if your child takes a bottle at all but my pedi recommended an ounce of chamomile tea 2 times a day (I give it to my daughter in her morning bottle and before bed) and it has been working for her.  Of course ask your pedi what he/she thinks.  Other people recommended a peppermint melted in some water as working.  I asked my pedi but they said no, not sure what others will think.  Good luck, it is horrible seeing your little one like that.  They say it will pass in time, which may be happening with my daughter now.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageb.heather:
    Just wanted to say that we use BioGia - I ordered it online from Walgreens.com and it does come in an insulated package (it has to be kept refrigerated). If you have a local Walgreens they may carry it in the pharmacy area behind the counter as well. I understand it can take a month to have it's full effect but it is one of the few things that has been clinically shown to be effective. Good luck!

Good to know! I've had it in my walgreens.com cart for a few days now. was waiting for payday,  How long does the bottle last?  It's 5 drops per day right? 

• We have been using the bio gaia drops for over a week now. LO is still gassy and I have no idea if it's actually working. Doesn't seem to be doing much of anything, to be honest. However, I have heard it takes awhile to kick in so we will continue giving it to him until we run out... if it works then we will order more if not we will stop using it then. Since it's only 5 drops per day it does last awhile (thank god since the price is so high for such a small bottle of oil!).

As far as storage goes... it doesn't have to be refrigerated depending on how warm you keep your house. It says 25 degrees C/ 77 degrees F.... our house is kept at roughly 70 degrees so we keep it out on the counter next to his bottles. Its an easy reminder to put it in his morning bottle. 

• Also... what kind of gripe water are you using? We purchased Colic Calm just two days ago and love it already! Yes it can get a little messy but it's definitely worth it. We don't use the full dose either...... the nice thing is that its the only FDA approved gripe water that's natural. Because of that you can give up to 6 doses a day. If it doesnt appear to be working you can give a dose every 1/2 an hour. When we first tried it the first dose didnt work (we gave a half dose) but once we gave him the second dose he stopped crying and was out cold in 5 mins! Apparently it tastes pretty good b/c LO loves to gulp it down!
  • imagemama&baby:
    Also... what kind of gripe water are you using? We purchased Colic Calm just two days ago and love it already! Yes it can get a little messy but it's definitely worth it. We don't use the full dose either...... the nice thing is that its the only FDA approved gripe water that's natural. Because of that you can give up to 6 doses a day. If it doesnt appear to be working you can give a dose every 1/2 an hour. When we first tried it the first dose didnt work (we gave a half dose) but once we gave him the second dose he stopped crying and was out cold in 5 mins! Apparently it tastes pretty good b/c LO loves to gulp it down!

Yes  This is working for us, and milicon drops.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We use mommy's bliss gripe water, it works better than the little tummy's kind we got at walmart. Thanks for the suggestions, we're giving the gripe water every 4 his and if she gets gassy between we're giving her mylicon, I'm going to order the biogia tonight, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"