2nd Trimester
Options

hand falling asleep. Ouch!

I'm 26 wks along and this past week I've been waking up in the middle of the night multiple times with my left hand asleep and tingling so bad that I have to get up out of bed to get it back to normal...but then its only a matter of time before it happens again. Once I am up out of bed each morning, my knuckles and fingers are hurting a bit still. I've read a bit about this being "normal" but the pain & number of times it happens each night have me wondering how "normal" it is......?

I'd LOVE some relief when I sleep!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: hand falling asleep. Ouch!

• Options
    I get this now at 19 weeks. Try sleeping in a reclined chair? That way you're not sleeping on either shoulder and not straight up on your back which is probably why you don't already. I just wake up and roll over atm.
  • Options
    You mean that's "normal"? That has been happening to me on and off since the end of the first tri and it drives me crazy. Also, when I sleep all night on my left side, my left leg sometimes falls asleep!! That can't be good for whatever vein or artery I'm supposed to be helping!!
    Julia ~ six miscarriages ~ our sweet miracle baby, Jack, due 5/3/12, was born at 29w1d on February 17, 2012, weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This happens to me too!! It drives me crazy!!!!
    Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

• Options
    This has been happening to me for weeks now. It's very annoying and uncomfortable. If i had a recliner I would be sleeping on it. 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    My hands started falling asleep with DS in the 20-some week. I had to get braces to wear at night. They were uncomfortable at first but they worked wonders! Just a walmart or cvs one works fine!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think this is actually very normal/common. It's pregnancy induced carpal tunnel. As the PP mentioned, wearing a brace at night will help! This is the one I have and it works wonders.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I find if my hand is on my stomach when I fall asleep- in still sleeping on my back sometimes, my arms falls asleep. Maybe pay attention to ur position when u wake up. Hopefully it's something easy to change.  

• Options
    It's called carpal tunnel syndrome. It happens to some pregnant women. I was in the hospital last week, and it was the only time that the pain was tolerable. the doctor said there isn't really anything you can do. i dont know if it had to do with sleeping in a slightly reclined position, or staying hydrated because I was on constant fluids, or the dilaudid. I would only have numbness feeling in my hand instead of the extreme burning pain. Now that I am home, Im trying to stay sleeping in an upright position, and I'm trying like hell to stay hydrated and drink enough water. The first night home I was ok, now the pain is back, as bad as ever. Ive tried everything from the brace, to keeping my hand elevated, to hanging my arm off the bed. The only thing that makes it go away is running warm water on my hand/ wrist. Good luck, but I'm thinking we will be stuck with this until birth.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"