Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Mirena removal and early miscarriage link?

I am wondering if my Mirena had anything to do with my miscarriage. I had it take out in October, had one mini period and the got pregnant immediately. After an emergecy u/s due to bleeding and cramping at t 5 weeks 6 days, nothing showed up on the u/s so it looks like nothing ever implanted. I started to research and it seems there are ALOT of cases like mine where woman get the IUD out, immediately get pg and then lose it in the first trimester. I was reading that the uterus may not have had time to re-build up the lining to be thick enough to hold onto a pregnancy. And that even though you CAN get pg right after getting the IUD out  maybe you SHOULD be waiting several cycles to get your body back to normal. If this is the case, I sure would have like to have been informed! I did not have a period for the entire 5 years I had Mirena so this theory totally makes sense to me.
Jen
Mom to Ava 12.21.04 and Austin 10.22.06
BFP 12/5/11...natural m/c 12/23/11 Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Mirena removal and early miscarriage link?

• I have never heard of that.  I would talk to your doctor.  I'm sorry for your loss.  **Hugs**
  • While I have never have heard of it, it makes sense. I had the copper IUD, got pregnant immediately (using protection), then mc. I often wonder if the IUD had something to do with it. I did have a period since mine was non-hormonal. I did ask the Dr at the ER, he said it wouldn't have caused it. I guess it will be one of those things I'll never know the answer too.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, my Dr told me to wait until I had a period before starting TTC when I had Mirena removed in Nov.  She did say to give the uterus a chance to build up a good lining again.  Though, like you, I had a "mini period" after it was removed and then got pregnant right away.  I think I am/did miscarry because I have had light to heavy spotting and bleeding for the past couple of days.  I talked to my Dr on Friday and she said it was too soon to know for sure and to "sit tight" through the weekend.  I will call again tomorrow, but am losing hope that I am still pregnant. 
  • I had the paragard non hormonal IUD, had it out in October, got pregnant after my first period and also miscarried about 2 weeks after my BFP.  I like to think that the IUD didn't have anything to do with it, because there are quite a few people who get pregnant while using it, and have a healthy pregnancy.  I guess we will never know.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"