Took Boodle into convenient care today to check for an ear infection since our pedi isn't open until Tuesday and she slept badly again last night and is SUPER congested with weird colored snot.
NP said right ear looked fine, left one she looked at twice and then, still with equivocation, said it was looking a little red/dull, and would probably be infected by Monday. She prescribed amoxicillin.
I'm not crazy about giving antibiotics generally because I think they can tend to be overused and if not needed can lead to developing harder to fight infections due to more resistant bacteria. But I also don't want my baby girl to be in pain if she DOES develop the infection - and if she definitely had an ear infection I wouldn't think twice, but I don't think it's obvious that she has one based on the NP's advice. Another wrinkle is I'm concerned about maintaining our nursing relationship, she already is worse each day, I'm on antibiotics which worries me re: thrush (also taking probiotics but I'm not comfortable giving them to her) and I feel like if we give them to her too is a perfect cocktail for thrush and ending our ability to nurse/pump.
Thoughts? I was thinking wait till Monday by which time this tooth will almost certainly have broken through, and see if she's better or not and if not, it's probably safe to assume the ears are bugging her too. DH says maybe take her back to her regular doc next week (but that's super hard to coordinate with work schedules and the like esp. since I already have doc appts the following week that will make me miss some work and have to rearrange my and nanny's schedule). I could have the nanny take her but it's SO difficult to do that kind of stuff with both kids and I hate to give her tasks that I wouldn't want to do myself...