Minnesota Babies
Options

any tips on parenting? i have two children (6,&7) and my stepson is 9

I am freaking out!! Need any tips to settle the tension around here. There is constant battles when my stepson is here on the weekends. Everything turns into a competition, and there is jealousy oozing out of every wall in my house. I feel bad for all of the kids, and I just can't seem a good way to intervene

Re: any tips on parenting? i have two children (6,&7) and my stepson is 9

• Options
    Try the Blended Families board and the School-Aged Children board.  They'll probably be able to help you.
    Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I would try to make everything as even as possible between the kids, though of course it is reasonable to have different rules and expectations for 9 yr olds and 6 yr olds. The phrase we always emphasize is "fair does not always mean equal."

Have a family meeting and come up with some good family rules that apply to everyone. Be clear on expectations and consequences and follow through.

Maybe try to bring out the good side of being competetive - who can get ready for bed the fastest, who will be ready to leave first, etc. Winner gets to pick what is for dinner or snack.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"