Babies on the Brain
Options

those crazies on 1st tri & their ER visits

They run to the darn ER constantly bc they are convinced they are m/c's with EVERY pink mucous or speck of blood. They must be broke from all those co-pays. Idk why they don't call the oncall Dr first & let them decide whether or not they need to be seen. Crazies
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.

Re: those crazies on 1st tri & their ER visits

• Options
    But there isn't much of anything the ER can do. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageScout2005:
    My doc sent me to the ER for bleeding when it was after hours. Are you sure they didn't call first?
    Yeah, the post I'm referring to she stated that she didn't.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageCabbageCabbage:
    Honestly, I am more worried about the women who tell the others that blood is normal and almost surely nothing.  I went to the ER when I started bleeding because I was miscarrying.  You do know one in six pregnancies ends in miscarriage, no?
    I'm a nurse, yes I know that, but pink mucous the day you had a transvaginal ultrasound is certainly not a reason to run to the ER ESPECIALLY after if you don't call the on call first
  • Options
    imageCabbageCabbage:
    Honestly, I am more worried about the women who tell the others that blood is normal and almost surely nothing.  I went to the ER when I started bleeding because I was miscarrying.  You do know one in six pregnancies ends in miscarriage, no?
    I'm a nurse, yes I know that, but pink mucous the day you had a transvaginal ultrasound is certainly not a reason to run to the ER ESPECIALLY after if you don't call the on call first
  • Options
    imageExcitedtostart:
    exactly. & honestly, I'd rather go to my OB to find out then the ER with a Dr I have no hx with.
  • Options
    imageScout2005:
    My doc sent me to the ER for bleeding when it was after hours. Are you sure they didn't call first?
    how are you feeling btw?
  • Options
    imageCabbageCabbage:

imageMee83shell:
    imageExcitedtostart:
    exactly. & honestly, I'd rather go to my OB to find out then the ER with a Dr I have no hx with.

Call me when you're bleeding heavily and then tell me you wouldn't go to the ER. Not to be mean or anything but a miscarriage is pretty traumatic.  I hope you've never had one I hope you never will.  Since having one, I don't judge anyone's reactions to blood and fear.   That sh!t's scary.  

Not everyone would go to the ER.  When I was pregnant with DS I felt a sudden gush of blood, followed by bleeding through three pads and numerous large clots in about 30 minutes.  I called my dr first.  They had me come in to their office.    Happily enough, DS was still in there and perfectly fine.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    imageCabbageCabbage:

imageMee83shell:
    imageExcitedtostart:

Call me when you're bleeding heavily and then tell me you wouldn't go to the ER. Not to be mean or anything but a miscarriage is pretty traumatic.  I hope you've never had one I hope you never will.  Since having one, I don't judge anyone's reactions to blood and fear.   That sh!t's scary.  

I would call the on call 1st. Even at 33w when I woke up at 2am contracting every 2 minutes & was terrified I waited to talk to the on call first.
    I'm not judging the legitimate trips to ER but the people who run there for EVERY little thing make me crazy. Maybe its bc I work in health care...
    & I am sorry for your previous loss. I hope this pregnancy is uneventful for you!!
  • Options
    imageAndreaR1983:
    imageCabbageCabbage:

imageMee83shell:
    imageExcitedtostart:

Not everyone would go to the ER.  When I was pregnant with DS I felt a sudden gush of blood, followed by bleeding through three pads and numerous large clots in about 30 minutes.  I called my dr first.  They had me come in to their office.    Happily enough, DS was still in there and perfectly fine.
    That's different...I'd still call 1st BUT the post I'm referring to was pink mucous after having a transvaginal ultrasound earlier in the day.
  • Options
    Bleeding is scary. I started bleeding with Kyndal but it stopped, and I was scared to death for the whole week until I finally had my U/S and everything was fine, then. I did go to the ER at 31 weeks for more bleeding. I was scared to death. I then did not go to the ER at the most important time. When/if I am ever pregnant again, I hope you ladies won't mind hearing about all the ER visits I am sure to take.
  • Options
    imageMee83shell:
    imageAndreaR1983:
    imageCabbageCabbage:

imageMee83shell:
    imageExcitedtostart:

That's different...I'd still call 1st BUT the post I'm referring to was pink mucous after having a transvaginal ultrasound earlier in the day.
    totally read that wrong, sorry lol
  • Options
    imageruthymusney:
    Bleeding is scary. I started bleeding with Kyndal but it stopped, and I was scared to death for the whole week until I finally had my U/S and everything was fine, then. I did go to the ER at 31 weeks for more bleeding. I was scared to death. I then did not go to the ER at the most important time. When/if I am ever pregnant again, I hope you ladies won't mind hearing about all the ER visits I am sure to take.
    Legitimate ER visits are one thing though
  • Options

imageMee83shell:
    imageruthymusney:

Lol I totally get what ur saying, but I don't think all of mine will be legit. 

• Options
    imageCabbageCabbage:
    imageMee83shell:
    imageCabbageCabbage:

imageMee83shell:
    imageExcitedtostart:

I would call the on call 1st. Even at 33w when I woke up at 2am contracting every 2 minutes & was terrified I waited to talk to the on call first.
    I'm not judging the legitimate trips to ER but the people who run there for EVERY little thing make me crazy. Maybe its bc I work in health care...
    & I am sorry for your previous loss. I hope this pregnancy is uneventful for you!!

I appreciate your kind words.  Obviously, this is a bit of a hot button issue for me but it's also one where I deeply sympathize with the scared women. I won't argue that it must be annoying for health care workers. I am sure it is. 

Annoying in a sense that 75% of the time a phone call to your OB would keep you home, save you a copay, & ease your fears for the night. I have NOOO problem with people who go to ER for legitimate reasons...or if OB sends them....But to run to ER for everything is silly to me.
  • Options
    Plus she said the "bleeding" stopped after 15 mins. Totally an unnecessary trip.
    Mrs. 5/03*DD 2/07*DS1 5/09*DS2 7/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMee83shell:
    imageAndreaR1983:
    imageCabbageCabbage:

imageMee83shell:
    imageExcitedtostart:

I completely agree with you about the post you're referring to, but after my m/c, I'm not side eyeing much. In my case, I had light bleeding and freaked the F out. I called the doc, but it was lunch. I waited around 20 minutes for a call back, and then finally decided to take my DD and head to Urgent Care 5 minutes away (ER is over 30 minutes from me). I don't regret going, even though there was nothing they or I could have done. If I bleed like that when I get pg again, I'm not waiting 20 minutes for a call back for the sake of my own sanity.

It was many and many a year ago, In a kingdom by the sea, That a maiden there lived whom you may know By the name of ANNABEL LEE; And this maiden she lived with no other thought Than to love and be loved by me. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image BFP: 9/24/11 EDD: 6/5/12 Natural MC: 11/6/11
  • Options
    imageruthymusney:

imageMee83shell:
    imageruthymusney:

Lol I totally get what ur saying, but I don't think all of mine will be legit. 

Yes they will bc of your hx...and after 28w you'll go to L&D instead of ER. Which you will call your OB about first & she will bring you in. :-)
  • Options

I get what both of you are saying.  Sometimes if you are having legit symptoms yes, you need to go to ER.  But come on, those girls run to the ER all the time for nothing.  They demand u/s they don't need b/c they are all convinced they are having m/c's.

Yes, there is a time and a place for the ER, but seriously call the on-call person first, that is what they are there for.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imageSmileyIsMe:
    imageMee83shell:
    imageAndreaR1983:
    imageCabbageCabbage:

imageMee83shell:
    imageExcitedtostart:

I completely agree with you about the post you're referring to, but after my m/c, I'm not side eyeing much. In my case, I had light bleeding and freaked the F out. I called the doc, but it was lunch. I waited around 20 minutes for a call back, and then finally decided to take my DD and head to Urgent Care 5 minutes away (ER is over 30 minutes from me). I don't regret going, even though there was nothing they or I could have done. If I bleed like that when I get pg again, I'm not waiting 20 minutes for a call back for the sake of my own sanity.

I'm sorry for your loss. At least you called 1st though. & honestly there is nothing the ER can do...hopefully your next pg will be uneventful!!!
    & the post I'm talking about she "bled" for
  • Options

I think there are legitimate reasons to go to the ER, and also that it is overused. It's a too common suggestion on the tri boards for sure.

When I m/c, I woke up in the middle of the night bleeding. I knew there was nothing the ER or my doc could do. I waited until 7:30 to even call the on-call doc because there was no point in waking anybody up. I had an u/s that afternoon at my doctor's office. 

Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers imageimage image

Photo courtesy of mrs_b

• Options
    imageMee83shell:
    imageSmileyIsMe:
    imageMee83shell:
    imageAndreaR1983:
    imageCabbageCabbage:

imageMee83shell:
    imageExcitedtostart:

I'm sorry for your loss. At least you called 1st though. & honestly there is nothing the ER can do...hopefully your next pg will be uneventful!!!
    & the post I'm talking about she "bled" for <15 minutes & didn't even fill a liner...unnecessary trip.

Thank you. I agree in her case that was unnecessary. I don't read anything on 1st tri, but bleeding is definitely scary. I called right away when I noticed, and there wasn't a whole lot at the time. Since it's happened to me, I can understand the panic that happens. However, if this girl had an exam the day before (I think that's what I read in this thread), she should have known better. EVERY time I have an exam, they always tell me there could be light bleeding.

If it was a case where the was no exam and red spotting/bleeding, I would never side eye someone calling and asking to be checked. But to just up and go to the ER over that is ridiculous. That's what the OB is for.

It was many and many a year ago, In a kingdom by the sea, That a maiden there lived whom you may know By the name of ANNABEL LEE; And this maiden she lived with no other thought Than to love and be loved by me. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image BFP: 9/24/11 EDD: 6/5/12 Natural MC: 11/6/11
  • Options
    I am literally steps away from an ER and when I started bleeding around 8ish weeks, who did I call?  My dr.  Sorry, but if it's during the day time and I'm in the first trimester, unless it's drastic (soaking a pad within an hour or less) or accompanied by other drastic symptoms (massive swelling, fever, extreme nausea, dizziness, etc) I'm not going to rush off to the ER and honestly, I side-eye most of the people that do.  If it's after-hours, I'll call the o/c OB and explain the situation to him/her and follow their advice. 

There are circumstances in which an immediate visit to the ER is necessary and appropriate and there are a lot more in which they are not.  There are more than just pregnancy related ER abuse stories that color my opinion on this matter.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    imageScout2005:

Sounds like the poster in question may have overreacted. I think in general, it's just that people panic. That's not a good reason, but it isn't that they are trying to abuse the system.They should call first, but sometimes you just react.

I knew there was nothing a doc could do, but I also needed to know what was happening. If the pregnancy was over, I needed to know and I needed to know right then.

Again, I did call first and was told by the OB to go in, so I feel that I followed the right protocol. But I get it. I do. It's not logical, and it may not be the "right" thing to do - but sometimes you just panic.

Mee83 - tired and pukey. Which I welcome as a sign that maybe things are moving forward as normal, and also dread because I know what's coming. Oh well. Thank you for asking!

Totally understandable...this chic has made like 3 ER visits...in your case with your hx, I'd freak too!!! Glad you're pukey & tired :-)
  • Options

imageMee83shell:
    They run to the darn ER constantly bc they are convinced they are m/c's with EVERY pink mucous or speck of blood. They must be broke from all those co-pays. Idk why they don't call the oncall Dr first & let them decide whether or not they need to be seen. Crazies

From my experience on BMBs, usually they go to the ER hoping that they'll get an ultrasound done and won't have to wait until their 8-10 week appointment to have one done because they are jealous of the ultrasound pics on their board already.

imageMee83shell:

From my experience on BMBs, usually they go to the ER hoping that they'll get an ultrasound done and won't have to wait until their 8-10 week appointment to have one done because they are jealous of the ultrasound pics on their board already.

And you can thank these women for the rising cost of health care.  

• Options
    imageShayliz:

imageMee83shell:

That really pisses me off.  

• Options

Unless I was bleeding excessively from the leg that I accidentally amputated with a chainsaw, I'm probably not going to head to the ER.

And I've had quite a few m/c's. The ER isn't going to do squat. 

• Options
    imageScout2005:
    imageShayliz:

imageMee83shell:

If jealousy is truly the motivation, then that's crap. 

In almost every one of these "zomg--I'm going to the er' posts I've ever seen, it is apparently the case.  

He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    I had two episodes of spotting during my pregnancy with Lucas and both were on Friday nights when I saw the blood. I didn't rush to the ER because I knew if I was losing the pregnancy, nothing could be done. Now if there had been a lot of blood or excessive pain I would have gone. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

imagemagdalina.h:
    I had two episodes of spotting during my pregnancy with Lucas and both were on Friday nights when I saw the blood. I didn't rush to the ER because I knew if I was losing the pregnancy, nothing could be done. Now if there had been a lot of blood or excessive pain I would have gone. 

This is exactly my p.o.v.   Excessive (filling a pad within an hour) bleeding or pain = big problems.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"