High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Didn't make it through 3 hour glucose test

So I failed the 1 hour with a cut-off of 140 and I was at 144. I didn't eat after 9pm last night for an 8 am test. I drank water this morning and that was all. After drinking the orange glucola (didn't taste bad) I felt very nauseous & asked if this was normal because I felt fine for the 1 hour. She said yes but if you throw up the test is stopped. After about 40 minutes it all came back up. My blood was checked & I was sent home. Anyone else have this experience? Will the doctor likely force me to try this again? I am so stressed!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Didn't make it through 3 hour glucose test

• Options
    That sucks :( Sad to say the Dr. will probably want you to try again. Maybe try asking for a 2 hour test instead of the 3? It's shown to be just as effective as a test and would be less glucola on your system.
  • Options
    ugh...so sorry that happened :(  I did the three hour three times. Each time I felt like I was going to throw up, but luckily I never did. I brought water and took very small sips and that seemed to help. The first hour was the worst, but it gets better after that if you can hang in there that long. If you don't want to take it again, maybe you can ask your doctor if you can just check your blood sugar levels after meals (like those with GD have to do). You'd have to pay for the supplies since insurance won't cover them without a diagnosis and they can be pretty expensive, but it is one alternative. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Another poster on the Feb 2012 momma board had this same issue, twice.  Her OB ended up having her just test her sugars, 4 times a day after eating, as if she had it and then looked at those numbers.  If you are concerned, maybe check with your OB about doing it this way.

"When the world says, 'Give up,' Hope whispers, 'Try one more time.'" -Anonymous

• Options
    I just had mine today....they laid me down (mostly because I tend to pass out while I am having blood drawn) which really helped with the nausea.  I kept telling them I felt sick and they just told me to try and keep it down, otherwise I would have to come back tomorrow and do it all over again!  I made it through the first and second times they drew my blood ok, but passed out after the third and fourth!  Fortunately, I didn't get sick until after they drew my blood the last time...I hope they don't make you do it again....especially since you were only over by 4 points! (I was at 164!)
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"