April 2012 Moms

baby shower + house guests + still need to get work done

I am already dreading the weekend of my shower because we will be having at least 2 house guests, possibly 3, that whole weekend. I live oot and I don't want family or friends to stay in hotels, especially when we have 2 free rooms.

My mom totally understands that I will need to set aside at least 4-6 hours one day to do work on the weekend. As a HS English teacher, weekend work (whether it be grading, planning curriculum, or making materials) is always a given. My friend staying with us already does not get it. She is trying to be nice by saying she can help, but she can't.

Also, she is already trying to make plans with me to go out at night to bars, go to the beach, and do touristy So Cal things Friday night after I get done with work, Saturday after the shower, and Sunday day. I feel guilty because she is coming here for my shower, but I know I won't be able to give her the attention the rest of the weekend that she wants. To complicate it more, I will have oot family visiting that will also want some time with me. 

Is it unreasonable/mean of me to lock myself in my room for several hours to get done what needs to be done?  

How would you handle the other requests? I just feel like I am already being stretched in many different directions.

Sorry that was a bit long :( Thanks for reading.  

imageimageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: baby shower + house guests + still need to get work done

• imageChristina_Diane:

I am already dreading the weekend of my shower because we will be having at least 2 house guests, possibly 3, that whole weekend. I live oot and I don't want family or friends to stay in hotels, especially when we have 2 free rooms.

My mom totally understands that I will need to set aside at least 4-6 hours one day to do work on the weekend. As a HS English teacher, weekend work (whether it be grading, planning curriculum, or making materials) is always a given. My friend staying with us already does not get it. She is trying to be nice by saying she can help, but she can't.

Also, she is already trying to make plans with me to go out at night to bars, go to the beach, and do touristy So Cal things Friday night after I get done with work, Saturday after the shower, and Sunday day. I feel guilty because she is coming here for my shower, but I know I won't be able to give her the attention the rest of the weekend that she wants. To complicate it more, I will have oot family visiting that will also want some time with me. 

Is it unreasonable/mean of me to lock myself in my room for several hours to get done what needs to be done?  

How would you handle the other requests? I just feel like I am already being stretched in many different directions.

Sorry that was a bit long :( Thanks for reading.  

They are going JUST for your shower, I would make some room somehow. I wouldn't go out to bars and things like that because i'd have no business there to begin with but I would def go do some things that don't end too late in the night. I would have DH help a lot with showing them around too. It will be a busy weekend. Good luck

• I would make the effort to get your teaching related prep work done before the weekend and then play catch up after the weekend.  You have people coming in from out of town to celebrate with you, then you want to spend a significant portion of their time visiting doing work.  I can't see why you can't rearrange how you do your prep work to try to accommodate your loved ones going way out of their way to be there for you that weekend.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Can you plan on staying at school Thursday night to prep/get a jump start on grading and then maybe also staying late on Monday night to catch up on what you didn't finish over the weekend?  You might also want to try to get up an hour earlier or so on Sat. and Sun. and get some stuff done while your guests are still sleeping.  It will be busy, but the students will survive if their papers are returned a little late!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree, try to get as much done in advance as you can to free up your weekend. But I'm sure if you have things to get done, people would understand.....I would understand anyways.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am going to try to get as much done beforehand as possible, but there will probably be at least a few hours I will need to set aside.

I'm just worried about being pulled in a bunch of different directions by family and friends. I don't want to go out at night, and I am already feeling pressure by my single friends that I'll need to go out to a bar or club and entertain them that way. I'm also feeling pressure to go out and do things during the day of the shower and the next day (marathon shopping sessions and other activities that require me to be up, out, and about) when I know I would much rather rent some movies and hang out at my house or something.  

imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"