Infertility

**Mrs. McIrish**

I was reading through posts from when I was out of town and say yours about sharing a sharps container with your kitty who gets sub-q fluids. Is he/she in kidney failure??? My baby kitty went into kidney failure at 4 1/2. She spent 4 days in the kitty hospital and they weren't able to figure out what caused it so young. She pulled through though, and is still purring away 5 years later. Sub-q fluids every 3 days, an appetite stimulant each night and an acid reducer in her wet food every day. Hope your kitty is doing well! Here's my baby:imageimage" mce_src="image">

ETA: No idea why it's so HUGE or why there's two, but it won't let me edit, or delete to repost. Oh well!

2/11 Diagnosis: DOR-AMH .62, LPD and MFI-4% Morph
IVF #1-July 2011 7/9/11-Started Stims
7/20/11-ER:No eggs in 4/5 follicles. Left the 5th follie intact and converted to an IUI
8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
Nov, 2011 BFP #1=m/c at 7 wks 3 days
11/11-AMH .47, IVF #2 March 2012...or not!! Surprise BFP on 2/19. Beta #1=161. Beta #2 305 Our little miracle girl is on her way! Due Oct 29, 2012
<a href="http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb461/andersenspics/?action=view

Re: **Mrs. McIrish**

• Your kitty is soo pretty!  Thanks for your post. My Riley is almost 20 yrs old so there's only so long we will have together. He is in end stage kidney failure.  2 yrs ago he wasn't doing well and I took him to the vet. His BUN and creatine were really high and we thought we had a few months left. We put him on special food that is low in protein that is easier for the kidneys to process.  He did amazingly well for 2 yrs and 2 weeks. He crashed this past week and I brought him to the vet on Monday morning. They retested his blood and he was off the charts- so high on creatine that the machine wouldn't read it. They gave him fluids and sent us home for 24 hrs to say goodbye.  I was hysterical all day Monday and just laid with him on the floor. On Tues morning his eyes were brighter and the vet called me at 8am to ask what I wanted to do. I remembered that last time we gave him an antibiotic shot for a possible infection. I asked them to do that again and teach me to give fluids. I wanted to give him a few days to see if he bounced back.  

It's been 5 days of fluids (3 at home) and he is eating on his own(I started spoon feeding him the other day and it worked), trying to groom himself, walking around (a little unsteady) but can climb stairs, sleeping in comfortable positions and letting me give fluids. I don't know how much time we have left but he's doing well enough that I can't put him down yet. He's my baby afterall.  We are taking each day at a time and I giving him foods he likes at this point.

I will have to ask about the acid reducer and appetite stimulant. Glad your baby is doing well. Does she tolerate the sub q fluids well? He tries to escape so DH definitely has to hold him down for me. But I figure the fact that he has fight left in him is good:-)

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Oh, I am so sorry to hear it's been such a rough week!!!! But I love his name! My kitty above is Tess, but my other baby is Riley-he's a grey tabby cat!

So glad to hear the fluids seem to be helping. It sounds like where he was early this week is where my kitty was when she first went into failure. Luckily, because she was so young she was able to stabilize some. She does okay with the fluids. She's pretty used to it at this point. If DH is home, he will help, but I can do it on my own. As long as I keep a hand on her she sits still!

She is on cyproheptadine for the appetite stimulant, and sodium bicarbonate (basically baking soda) that is in a pill form. I crush it and mix it with her wet food. She also eats the Hills Prescription Diet, Renal Diet  KD wet and dry food.

I hope your Riley continues to respond well to the fluids. If nothing else, I am glad you have some quality time with him!

2/11 Diagnosis: DOR-AMH .62, LPD and MFI-4% Morph
    IVF #1-July 2011 7/9/11-Started Stims
    7/20/11-ER:No eggs in 4/5 follicles. Left the 5th follie intact and converted to an IUI
    8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
    Nov, 2011 BFP #1=m/c at 7 wks 3 days
    11/11-AMH .47, IVF #2 March 2012...or not!! Surprise BFP on 2/19. Beta #1=161. Beta #2 305 Our little miracle girl is on her way! Due Oct 29, 2012
    <a href="http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb461/andersenspics/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrs.McIrish:

Your kitty is soo pretty!  Thanks for your post. My Riley is almost 20 yrs old so there's only so long we will have together. He is in end stage kidney failure.  2 yrs ago he wasn't doing well and I took him to the vet. His BUN and creatine were really high and we thought we had a few months left. We put him on special food that is low in protein that is easier for the kidneys to process.  He did amazingly well for 2 yrs and 2 weeks. He crashed this past week and I brought him to the vet on Monday morning. They retested his blood and he was off the charts- so high on creatine that the machine wouldn't read it. They gave him fluids and sent us home for 24 hrs to say goodbye.  I was hysterical all day Monday and just laid with him on the floor. On Tues morning his eyes were brighter and the vet called me at 8am to ask what I wanted to do. I remembered that last time we gave him an antibiotic shot for a possible infection. I asked them to do that again and teach me to give fluids. I wanted to give him a few days to see if he bounced back.  

It's been 5 days of fluids (3 at home) and he is eating on his own(I started spoon feeding him the other day and it worked), trying to groom himself, walking around (a little unsteady) but can climb stairs, sleeping in comfortable positions and letting me give fluids. I don't know how much time we have left but he's doing well enough that I can't put him down yet. He's my baby afterall.  We are taking each day at a time and I giving him foods he likes at this point.

I will have to ask about the acid reducer and appetite stimulant. Glad your baby is doing well. Does she tolerate the sub q fluids well? He tries to escape so DH definitely has to hold him down for me. But I figure the fact that he has fight left in him is good:-)

I am sorry you are going through this with your kitty. I do animal rescue (and have a load of permanents in my home myself) and wanted to let you know that cats can be very adaptive to treatments. I had an 18 year old that had the same situation going on as your kitty and she survived 3 and a half years on fluids. The only thing she really couldn't do in the last half year was regulate her body temp (she was always cold) so I purchased a heater that went under her blanket to keep her warm.

Good luck with kitty! 

TTC 1/2010 DH Dx - Azoospermia 2/2011
    Hysteroscopy 3/2011 2 Polyps removed 4/2011
    DH on Clomid / Arimidex to address hormonal issues - Sperm found July 2011!
    IVF #1 September 2011 - ER 9/8/2011- 8R, 5M - icsi - 1 made it to transfer - BFFN :-(
    IVF #2 Lucky November 2011 - ER 11/25/2011 - 15 eggs!, 13 mature, 10 fertilized with isci - 7 made it to transfer! Transferred 1 - 8 cell and 2 - 7 cell. BFP!!!!
    1st U/S - Twins! 2nd U/S - 3 heartbeats!!! - HOLY COW!!!
    Prayers for our take home babies!
    2 babies born on 3/27/12 and lost. Last baby born on 3/29/12 and lost at 20 weeks.
    My angels grew wings shortly after birth.
    Ahava Raisel, Matisyahu Nissim & Zev Chaim - Mommy and Daddy will always love you.
    IVF #3 July 2012 - ER 7/17/2012 - 10 R. 5 F. 4 made it to ET
    Transferred 2 on 7/20/2012 no snow babies :-(
    Beta on 7/31/2012 = BFMFN
    A miracle gift expected to come to us through adoption around 9/2012
    Baby girl adopted - Birth Mother changed her mind and took the baby back
    IVF #4 October 2012 - New RE. Doing PGD Testing. 8 R, 7F, 2 made it to 5 day blast for PDG testing. Both Normal (Thank you G-d!!!) 1 boy and 1 girl
    transferred one beautiful 5day blast (girl)
    Please G-d the almighty one - let this be our take home baby!
    Beta #1 158, Beta #2 318, 1 Absolutely magnificent HB at 175! Thank you G-d!!!
    Baby Girl born August 5th. Thank you G-d for our precious miracle.
    AMA. PAIF & SAIF always welcome - I need all the prayers I can get!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Too funny about our Rileys!  My neighbor has a 3 yr old daughter Riley and it makes me laugh how popular it has become. No one had it when I named my cat all those years ago!

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

• imagePrettyAccountant:
    imageMrs.McIrish:

Your kitty is soo pretty!  Thanks for your post. My Riley is almost 20 yrs old so there's only so long we will have together. He is in end stage kidney failure.  2 yrs ago he wasn't doing well and I took him to the vet. His BUN and creatine were really high and we thought we had a few months left. We put him on special food that is low in protein that is easier for the kidneys to process.  He did amazingly well for 2 yrs and 2 weeks. He crashed this past week and I brought him to the vet on Monday morning. They retested his blood and he was off the charts- so high on creatine that the machine wouldn't read it. They gave him fluids and sent us home for 24 hrs to say goodbye.  I was hysterical all day Monday and just laid with him on the floor. On Tues morning his eyes were brighter and the vet called me at 8am to ask what I wanted to do. I remembered that last time we gave him an antibiotic shot for a possible infection. I asked them to do that again and teach me to give fluids. I wanted to give him a few days to see if he bounced back.  

I am sorry you are going through this with your kitty. I do animal rescue (and have a load of permanents in my home myself) and wanted to let you know that cats can be very adaptive to treatments. I had an 18 year old that had the same situation going on as your kitty and she survived 3 and a half years on fluids. The only thing she really couldn't do in the last half year was regulate her body temp (she was always cold) so I purchased a heater that went under her blanket to keep her warm.

Good luck with kitty! 

Thanks sweetie!!

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

• imageMrs.McIrish:

I am so sorry to hear that he wasn't doing so well, it is so scary.  Putting Tiger down was the hardest decision of my life.  So glad Riley is starting to bounce back.  Enjoy every minute you have with him.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"