Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Daycare practices

I notice the daycare was warming bottles by microwaving them. They also wrap the babies up in blankets for naps.

I thought you were not supposed to do either. 

DS 7/6/09
DD 9/4/11
EDD 9/1/15

Re: Daycare practices

• Options

The blankets would not bother me at our daycare- the cribs are around the perimeter of the room and the DCPs can see them at all times and move the blanket if they need to.

Microwaving bottles WOULD bother me. Hot spots that could burn my LO, ruining my breastmilk- not cool.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    They should know better.  I would say something.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have worked in daycare for a few years at 3 different centers and my son is 10 months old. Different places have different policies but it is pretty standard practice to NEVER microwave a bottle. The first place I worked at used a crockpot filled with water to warm up bottles. The second place used munchkin bottle warmers (I have also used one at home). The center I am at now just uses water warmed up in individual cups and puts the bottle in to warm it up.  Also 2 of the centers changed their blanket policy to either no blankets or sleep sacks if the parents wanted some type of a blanket.  It is important that you are comfortable with the care your child is receiving. If you have concerns don't be afraid to let your provider know. You can always request them to adapt practices for your child even if they don't change for everyone. Parents do this all the time.  If they are unwilling to consider these specific concerns I would highly recommend changing providers...if they are unaware of these basic practices who knows what else they may not be doing appropriately.  You are your child's main advocate and you have a right to ensuring they are receiving the type of care that meets your expectations. Speaking as a childcare professional...daycare providers do not always deserve the benefit of the doubt.
  • Options
    imagehonkytonk_kid:

The blankets would not bother me at our daycare- the cribs are around the perimeter of the room and the DCPs can see them at all times and move the blanket if they need to.

Microwaving bottles WOULD bother me. Hot spots that could burn my LO, ruining my breastmilk- not cool.

This! I'd be so pissed about the bottles (I'm assuming you're pumping and it's bm?). Microwaving basically nukes the nutritional value out of the milk. The Lazy as$es need to be spoken to.
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• Options

Were they actually microwaving the bottles or were they microwaving water to warm the bottles? 

Microwaving bottles = big no no.

Wrapping a baby in a blanket (as long as it is not loose or over their faces) is fine.  But, if you won't want your LO wrapped, say something. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    Yeah, they should not be microwaving the bottles.   I would definately say something about that.  As PPs said, it does zap the nutrients out of BM and create hot spots.  I would not be bothered by a light blanket, away from the face.  But you should always say something about things that make you in any way uncomfortable.  You are paying them to provide quality care for your child, simple as that.  Don't feel bad about speaking up about something that bothers you, and they need to adapt to your child, not the opposite.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I use drop ins so they heat water up from the sink and dip the bottle in a cup of water. However, I watched them microwave another kid's bottle. LO's the only one on BM. I usually give LO it cold to lukewarm.

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"