April 2012 Moms
Options

Changing table ques

For those that have used those ones that is just a piece that can attach to the top of a dresser and you put the pad in it and then you can remove it later......do they damage the dresser or is it easy to take off? We are trying to save money on buying a changing table and I told Tim about those. So we are gonna look into them. Just wondered if anyone has used them and if they've liked them. I told him we could just use the pack n play if we left it set up but he didn't like that idea.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Changing table ques

• Options
    I never used a changing table because we didn't have room. We just changed her on the floor.
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options
    I said that too Gisa. But no. He wants a designated place. So I'm trying to figure out a good budget option.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just used a changing pad on top of a regular dresser (it's a short, wide dresser) until DS started getting too squirmy. Since then, we've just changed him on the floor/bed since I was afraid of him squirming off the pad and falling (he could get out from under the strap and my hand if I only had one hand on him while reaching for a diaper/cream/wipe).
  • Options

Most people just put the pad right on the dresser, no need to buy an extra piece.  It has a little tab that screws into the back of the dresser if you're concerned.  That tray thing doesn't really add anything in terms of safety anyway so you might as well save your money and your dresser.  I put a piece of grippy shelf liner under ours and didn't screw it in.  We haven't had any problems with it sliding around.

It's good to have somewhere elevated to change LO because you won't want to use the floor at first.  Your stomach muscles are really stretched out and it makes your back sore very easily.  Plus if you end up with stitches, kneeling, squatting, or sitting on the floor probably wouldn't be all that comfortable.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

we had a specific dresser with the changer on top, and it was removable (like a wooden rim around the dresser, screwed in the back). We didn't have any issues, we used it for almost every diaper change for 2 years when we made him a big boy room.

You could also just use a regular dresser (the short long ones) with the changing pad on top, most of them can be screwed in the back or you can put a peice of shelf liner to keep it from slipping. He's still in diapers and I change him on his bed now but I really miss the changer! I liked having on disgnated spot with all my "needs" there i had diapers, wipes, diaper cream, a pump hand sanitizer, the diaper pail beside it, all his clothes right there, etc.

• Options
    I'm really glad you asked this. We got the dresser/changer combo with our nursery set, and that's the only piece that we'll be setting up before the baby comes (we want to move shortly after). It's essentially a short, wide dresser.  I was hoping to just put a changing pad on top of it and keep all of the supplies on top as well with clothes in the drawers so we have one designated spot where those things will live. I wondered about scratching as well, so I like the idea of putting a shelf liner below it.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We just put DS1's changing pad on top of the dresser - we put one of those rubbery shelf liner things under it (like you put in cabinets under glasses) to keep it from slipping. It worked perfectly.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!! This was very helpful and will def save us some money!!
  • Options
    I also just put the pad on top of a dresser. I got the contour pad from Target (Munchkin maybe) and the pad itself actually has rubber grippy things on the bottom already.
  • Options
    Same here as everyone else! We put the pad right on top of the dresser. Though we are receiving a gifted changing table this time, so we'll move the dresser to DS's "big boy" room to hold his clothes (his clothes are already in the dresser drawers as it is, so we can change his diapers and clothes all in one place without running upstairs to his nursery to get stuff then back down)

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was planning on just putting the pad on the dresser. But then the dresser came today and it's too short for me. I'm not super tall, but it would kill my back. So we're going to be looking for something else.
  • Options
    i had an old used one for my girls when they were little and I did find one to be useful, but given that we are going on a budget, I would rather have more cute decos than have a changing table (Does that make me selfish?  Or even crazy?)  I found a dresser for free that we are painting black to match the nursery furniture, and luckily it's a short dresser.  I plan on getting a changing pad for the top and using the nonslip rug material (also used in kitchen drawers) so that it doesn't slip around and doesn't damage the paint job.  I hope that works, if not my hubby told me he can use glue/cement on the top but it would damage both the pad and the paint (we would need to re-paint).  Either way, I think it will safe space in the room and I can save money that way.  I decided on getting a book shelf to store things like the lamp and cute themey things for the nursery and forget using the dresser for decor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Our pad came with a strap that we screwed to the back of the dresser. I think just one screw. Since we'll probably never have the back of the dresser showing I don't consider it damaged at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"