June 2012 Moms

Poll: RE "sleep training"

Are you going to "sleep train" your child? If so, what method are you using and when will you think about starting?

We did Ferber when DD was around 8 months old. Yes, it was hard at first and I felt guilty....but, it was a serious lifesaver. After about a week, she was falling asleep on her own within a few minutes and continues to be a terrific sleeper.  We plan on doing the same with this one.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Poll: RE "sleep training"

• Can you explain this method of sleep training? Sounds interesting.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLoveBug0516:
    Can you explain this method of sleep training? Sounds interesting.

There is a book called "Solving your child's sleeping problems" by Dr. Richard Ferber.  You should really read the whole book before making up your mind.  If anything you could learn about sleep cycles in children and adults.  It will also teach you about sleep associations that we all have. 

It is kind of controversial among different message boards because it involves a level of crying from an infant.  Read the book before you make up your mind either way.

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, we will probably use the Ferber method on the new baby.  My main concern is if this baby has colic like the last. 
  • It depends on the baby.  And not before 6 months.

image   image

• Yes, and earlier than we did with #2. We did it earlier with my first and later with my second and it was way easier on all of us when it was done earlier.

Of course I do think that they baby's personality plays a roll in how well it goes. My older son was colicky and a horrible sleeper from birth to about 4 months, but then took right to sleep training when we did it. My younger has never needed as much sleep and has always been really attached to me, so it was harder. But still worth it. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagepickle82:

imageLoveBug0516:
    Can you explain this method of sleep training? Sounds interesting.

There is a book called "Solving your child's sleeping problems" by Dr. Richard Ferber.  You should really read the whole book before making up your mind.  If anything you could learn about sleep cycles in children and adults.  It will also teach you about sleep associations that we all have. 

I have that book and also Weissbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child. Ferber was much easier to read and digest IMO but I thought they both provided very good info.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I've done a modified Ferber with my first two, and will again with this one. I usually do it around 8-9 months but I might do it earlier this time. It'll depend on how BFing is going and their personality and how well they sleep.
    DC1 (2.5) | DC2 (1) | #3 due 6.1.2012
  • I seriously don't have the spine for it, I caved after about 45 seconds with my bad sleeping son.  But I am also willing to deal with being a little extra tired for a while.  They both sleep great now, so it all works out in the end :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I will not sleep train. This may be an UO bur I hate the idea of my sweet baby in their crib crying by themselves! I believe that he needs to know that mommy will come when he needs her and don't want him to feel abdoned at night. We did not sleep train DS and he was not a good sleeper as a baby. He is 13 months now and we have no issues, he sleeps 12 hours every night and has since 8 months. I still have to rock him to sleep most nights but I enjoy the extra snuggle time with my baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We didn't really sleep train our boys but they were both on schedules from the time we came home which I think helped in their sleeping. I feed every 3 hours from the time they wake up until 7pm bedtime. We follow the EASY method mostly during the day then do a bedtime routine starting at 630pm from the day we come home form the hospital. We put them down awake but sleepy.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We broke down and did the Sleep Lady Shuffle when DD was 15 months.  I just couldn't take anymore- she took forever to go to sleep and was still waking up 3 times a night.  I couldn't bring myself to CIO, so this was the perfect method for us.  I would probably consider it a little bit sooner for this LO, it needed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, we will. We sleep trained our daughter and it worked great for us. We also found that we regularly had to go back and re-train after a bad cold or teething, which usually disrupted her sleeping. But, after a day or two of sleep training, she was back to sleeping through again.

I'll probably wait longer before sleep training with this one though. When I had DD, I was adamant I wanted her sleeping through right from the beginning so we started when she was only about 3 mo. With this one, I'll probably wait until 4-5 months.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageDaisy22:

We didn't really sleep train our boys but they were both on schedules from the time we came home which I think helped in their sleeping. I feed every 3 hours from the time they wake up until 7pm bedtime. We follow the EASY method mostly during the day then do a bedtime routine starting at 630pm from the day we come home form the hospital. We put them down awake but sleepy.

We did this with DD2.  I started too late with DD1 and she had bad sleep habits until she was almost 3, however there was alot going on with her and my life then too that played into it.

DD2 was always put down awake but sleepy and always fed right after waking up so no chance of falling asleep nursing.  She's been a great sleeper and everyone comments on how easily she goes to bed.  It's been a blessing and made our lives immensely easier.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageDaisy22:

We didn't really sleep train our boys but they were both on schedules from the time we came home which I think helped in their sleeping. I feed every 3 hours from the time they wake up until 7pm bedtime. We follow the EASY method mostly during the day then do a bedtime routine starting at 630pm from the day we come home form the hospital. We put them down awake but sleepy.

We did EASY also, I really liked it.   

image   image

• Probably not. I haven't slept in the last 9 years, what's a few more?! Lol!

DS#1- 7/2002

DS#2- 6/2004

DS#3- 9/2007

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Never before 6 months.  I plan to do the same as I did for DD.  Wait until I feel it is best for her if she needed it.  We did CIO at 11 months after her horrible sleep actually started affecting her and not just me.  She was totally fine and happy waking up every 3 hours forever, but after a tough bit with teething and waking every hour every night for 7 weeks and not being able to sleep anymore she was miserable (as was I).  So I don't really have a plan, but will go with the flow and see what this baby needs (or doesn't).  I'm hoping since I got such an awful sleeper for #1, I get a good sleeper this go around :)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am too lazy to really sleep train..........it takes alot of commitment.

I tend to pick and choose things that might work, and modify as needed - best thing I would suggest is reading the books now and then deciding as you get there what you want to do and when.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did not do any kind of "let-cry" thing when DS was a baby because he had horrible reflux.  He did a lot of crying in arms, crying in bed with us, etc. 

Around 14 months, we did the Sleep Lady Shuffle.  It was gentle but effective.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • We did a combo of Ferber and Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child- it worked wonders for our daughter. We will definitley do it again.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes

Our son was a decent sleeper but I did a lot of the techniques early of putting him down awake, not using crutches to sleep, putting him to bed super early etc etc. We did ferber when he got off track from his sleep pattern once in awhile as well.

He is still an excellent sleeper.  I rarely rarely get up in the night with him and it has always been this way. Very sound happy sleeper. Obviously our next kid could be completely different but I will do all of the same things I did with #1.

• We did the No Cry Sleep Solution to some degree. I think most of it was common sense for us, really. I'm not a fan of CIO. It was not an option for us. I also rocked and/or nursed DD to sleep until she decided she didn't need it anymore (stopped nursing to sleep around 8-9 mo and didn't want to be rocked anymore around 10-11 mo).  She's always been a fabulous sleeper and I knew this phase would pass oh do quickly. I miss those evenings with her.  I'll do the same with #2. 
    ~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"