October 2011 Moms

If you pump or will pump at work

My friend gave me her double pump today so that will hopefully save me time away from my desk.  Someone else suggested I get one of those bustiers to stick the pumps in so I can be hands-free.  That seems like a lot of work to take off my shirt and bra and put on the contraption.  However, I've never used a double pump before so I don't know yet.  Are any of y'all investing in the bustier?  Are you going to try to work on the pump breaks or just sit and pump?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: If you pump or will pump at work

• no need for a bustier unless you are going to do work while pumping. I'm just going to take pump breaks. You are going to love the double electric pump, so fast and easy
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
  • I think Cantalopes posted before about buying a cheap sports bra and just cutting 2 small holes in it for a pumping bra. 
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • I pumped for 6 mo and plan on doing it again when I go back to work. I personally would not bother with the special bra. It would take even longer than necessary. I prefer to keep pumping time to minimum bc I have a very stressful and busy job. I also don't have a private office and need to go to another location at the other end of the building. Mind you, it's better than my previous office where I had to go to another FLOOR.

I always found setting up and washing after took longer than actually pumping.

I didn't find it too boring- I just sat and looked at how much milk I was getting and that entertained me, I guess. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecrystalbaby:

I got the hands-free Medela bra and plan on using it when I pump at work. TBO, I think it would be more work to hold-up both bottles while you're pumping. I plan on getting some more nursing camis and wearing them to work under cardigans. Then when I pump I can just undo both sides of the cami and put the bra on w/o taking off the cami.

I would tryout the double pump before you go back to work and see if you feel okay sitting there for 15 min. or so while just sitting there staring at the wall. I would get really bored and uncomfortable.

I agree with this, completely.  I am already back at work and I have a hands free bra and use it so I can pump while working.  You wouldn't have to take everything off, you can just put it on over your nursing bra/cami when it's time to pump.  It is really boring, otherwise, to just sit there holding the pump to my chest and stare at the wall.  Even if I'm not actually working being hands free allows me to do other things like check e-mail, my phone, the bump, etc.

• imagepennysuedog:
    I think Cantalopes posted before about buying a cheap sports bra and just cutting 2 small holes in it for a pumping bra. 

Yup! And I use it work. You can also use hair ties to attach the pump to a regular nursing bra. I just bought a $12 sports bra from Target and I stick nursing pads over the holes. 

• imageSuperDeDuper:
    Guess I have a different opinion...as an exclusive pumper I can't imagine not having the hands free bra! I would have given up on pumping long ago without it.

I never take off my nursing bra or cami to use the pumping bra, I just unlatch and fold the bra and/or cami fabric up or down like I would if I were breastfeeding, put the pumping bra around me, attach the pump and go. It takes about 5 seconds. Even if I'm not working or holding LO or anything at least my hand are free to play on my iPad (as I'm doing now), eat some lunch, scratch my nose...whatever.

I pump for 15-25 minutes 6 or more times a day, so not being able to multitask during pump sessions would really add up. Modifying a sports bra is a good idea too, but I'm not sure if you'd have to take that off and on each time. If you want fast and efficient get the hands free bra! Again, just my opinion but it is 100% money well spent.
    This! Best $30 bucks ever spent, and I don't ep, but it makes me hate pumping all that much, and I HATED pumping before!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just finished my first week pumping at week and I loved having the hands free bra.  I just put it on over what I was wearing and started pumping.  Even though I haven't worked while pumping yet, I have found the hands free set up allows me to scroll through pictures of my LO which helps my milk let down.  It also allows me to entertain myself and sort of relax - taking my boobs out at work is going to take some getting used to.
    Photobucket

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

William born 7/12/2000
    Andrew born 10/30/2011 (9lb 4oz at 37 weeks)
  • I'm buying a bustier.  I don't have 45-60 minutes in my workday to spend screwing around.
  • I got the pumping bra. I don't take my bra off. I just wear a nursing bra and open the flaps and put the bra over that. I like that it covers me up more in case I get walked in on. 
  • I have been pumping for a while, but I never bought a special bra. I wear a regular nursing bra, unhook the flaps, put on one side of the pump, and then turn the pump on to help it "stick" to my boob. Then I fasten the bra, and there is enough fabric on the bra to hold the pump tight to my boob. Once one side is on, I do the same on the other side. It takes just a few seconds to get it set up, and then I'm hands free - no special bras or equipment necessary. Sometimes, if I pump enough to fill a 5oz bottle, the bottle will get a bit heavy at the end and I will have to hold it for the last few seconds. But I've been doing this the whole time and it works for me, with any nursing bra I've worn (even the thinner sports-bra types). I hope this helps you, and saves you some money!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemabst196:
    I got the pumping bra. I don't take my bra off. I just wear a nursing bra and open the flaps and put the bra over that. I like that it covers me up more in case I get walked in on. 

I think we were typing this at the same time! Ditto!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I caved and bought a hands-free bra last week (simple wishes). Seriously one of the best BF-ing related purchases I've made. I can confidently state to ny bosses that I'll be able to work while I pump. It's really supportive of the flanges/bottles. I can't imagine a sports bra working as well, and I know for a fact that it works far better than the hands-free system that came with my Freestyle.

My BFP Chart

Becoming a better role model for my daughter, one day at a time

• imagecrystalbaby:
    I guess because of my broken boobs, it takes me longer to pump than most. It's not fun to watch how much milk I'm pumping just discouraging. I guess I am a special snowflake and you should disregard my previous advice.

Or maybe I am just easily entertained LOL!!!!! 

• i pump once a day and i bought the hands free bra!  i need to be able to pump in the living room and be hands free to attend to DS or stop DD from doing anything crazy while i pump if DH is already at work.  it is totally worth the $30--just zip it on and off over your nursing bra or cami, it takes 2 seconds.
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • i love mine and i also EP. i went without it for awhile but i could never do it now without it!
  • i hold  the pump on both boobs. theres no chance on getting walked in on though, my pumping room is under key card access. i dont get bored cause i facebook while pumping. im skeptical about a hands free bra for me since my breasts are so large. no bra fits me, so i doubt this would be worth thr investment for me.  i wear a nursing bra everyday and either pull my shirt up, or unbutton it to get to the goods.
    BFP 11/2/10! First Dr's appt 11/30/10, shows Blighted Ovum measuring~ 5.9w @ 7w5d Natural Miscarraige 12/10/10 TTA unitl Feb, waiting BARE minimum before hopping back in the saddle So ready to try again, but I will never forget my first baby. BFP#2 02/06/11!!!! *stick baby, stick!* Team Green turn Team PINK 10/09/11 BFP #3 02/23/13...SURPRISE! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all the tips gals!  I think since I saved myself at least $250 by borrowing a pump, I'll go ahead and get one of these bras.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagepennysuedog:
    I think Cantalopes posted before about buying a cheap sports bra and just cutting 2 small holes in it for a pumping bra. 

I did this too. Spending money on something that can easily be made for free is something I can't justify.

• I use an old sports bra with holes cut in it. I wear a nursing tank over my sports bra and use nursing pads to keep the holes covererd. It works well fopr me. That way I can do paperwork while I pump.
  • imagejpeazybreezy:
    i hold  the pump on both boobs. theres no chance on getting walked in on though, my pumping room is under key card access. i dont get bored cause i facebook while pumping. im skeptical about a hands free bra for me since my breasts are so large. no bra fits me, so i doubt this would be worth thr investment for me.  i wear a nursing bra everyday and either pull my shirt up, or unbutton it to get to the goods.
    Seriously, the L, XL XXL Simple wishes bra truly osfa, I'm 46E and it fits, it's got a super strong velcro back thats adjustable on both sides and a zipper you can put in the middle in front if you need more space between your boobs, it's seriously worth it, check it out on amazon, I'm sure you can return it if it doesn't fit, but I highly recommend it.

• imagejpeazybreezy:
    i hold  the pump on both boobs. theres no chance on getting walked in on though, my pumping room is under key card access. i dont get bored cause i facebook while pumping. im skeptical about a hands free bra for me since my breasts are so large. no bra fits me, so i doubt this would be worth thr investment for me.  i wear a nursing bra everyday and either pull my shirt up, or unbutton it to get to the goods.
    Seriously, the L, XL XXL Simple wishes bra truly osfa, I'm 46E and it fits, it's got a super strong velcro back thats adjustable on both sides and a zipper you can put in the middle in front if you need more space between your boobs, it's seriously worth it, check it out on amazon, I'm sure you can return it if it doesn't fit, but I highly recommend it.

• I don't know how to quote on my phone, but ditto the PP re simple wishes. I'm a 34GG and have no problems with it. GL!

My BFP Chart

Becoming a better role model for my daughter, one day at a time

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"