August 2011 Moms

It needs to stop...please help.

DD was diagnosed with an ear infection on Monday so of course she was put on amoxicillin. Since Tuesday she's had diahrrea from it. It's so bad that I'm close to doing a load of clothes for her everyday. No matter what I do it always comes out of the diaper soiling EVERYTHING! Not to mention the terrible diaper rash she now has from it. I'm so close to just taking her off the meds. The pedi said it should stop within the next day or two but it feels like it never will. It also concerns me that A. She failed to mention this would happen. B. She really doesnt seem too alarmed about it. Anybody go through this? Is this right to have the runs this long? Also she prescribed diaper rash cream and says to use 3x a day. What do I use with all the other diaper changes?

Re: It needs to stop...please help.

• Oh no! I am so sorry. I really don't have any experience with this but maybe check online and see what is said or get a second opinion. Also to help with the rash maybe use warm washcloths to wipe her bum and I used Boudreaux's Butt Paste (When our LO was changing formula and was having a hard time w/pooping and a lil rash) It cleared up within a day! Again I am sorry. Good Luck.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Her flora in her intestines have been depleted.  You should get a lactobacillus acidphilus made for infants.

• Loading the player...
  • I use Aquaphor at every diaper change and goop in on everywhere
    imageimage

BFP #1 EDD 08/07/11 DS born 07/27/11 Welcome Mr. Smiley!
    BFP #2 05/28/12 EDD 02/03/13 Natural M/C 07/14/12 10w6d
    BFP #3 10/02/12 EDD 06/11/13 Please stick baby! Stick!

Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Try giving her a bath with a little baking soda for the diaper rash.  We also use A&D ointment.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • I second the idea of giving her a probiotic - baby probiotics are totally safe to give every day and our pedi recommends it whenever he prescribes and antibiotic.

GL!!  I know it can't be easy.  Hugs to you and LO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_20130228_133645
  • Feel better soon LO!
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • DS1 was on antibiotics this year, and had diarrhea pretty badly.  It gave him diaper rash.  
    DO NOT STOP the antiobiotics prematurely.  It is a common side-effect, and either your pedi or the pharmacist could've told you that.  
    Talk to your pedi about your concerns and get suggestions... ask about the probiotics.
    Use a barrier cream like aquaphor at every diaper change...  put it on at every dipe change until the antibiotics are over. 
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Thanks everyone. I just feel so bad for her. On the upside it doesn't seem to bug her that much. I will call pedi and ask about the probiotics. Sheesh I talk to her more than DH, I feel like her and I should be FB friends or something. I don't plan on stopping the antibiotics I was just talking out of desperation. I'm on my way out now to get the aquaphor. Fingers crossed.
  • Second on the probiotics. Don't stop those pills or she won't get better. Also, my DH when he was little had an ear infection that his parents didn't take care of and now he is deaf in that ear...so ear infections are no joke! Take those pills as directed!
  • Yes, it really is normal. Use aquaphor during the other diaper changes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • definitely normal. Just try to keep the rash under control--DS was on a form of amoxicillin (a stronger form) for a dbl ear infection in Feb. and it tore his butt so bad that it blistered and he cried whenever he went to the bathroom. I had to get a new antibiotic, and prescription diaper rash cream. Balmex works really well for us now. Ditto also about probiotics--Bio Gaia is really good, although a tad pricey. I get it at Walgreens, it's about $25-30 for a month's supply.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"