Houston Babies

Walker-gate '08 (long)

When I was pregnant, my aunt asked me why I didn't register for a walker and I told her that I think they're dangerous and don't like them.  Fortunately, her response was short and she mentioned how my cousin loved hers as a baby (of course, that was 19 years ago).

Fast-forward to about a month ago: my step mom tells me that she, my aunt, and my grandmother are all thinking of going in together and buying Esm? a walker so that they have something "to put her in" when they watch her.  This pisses me off and I tell her, tactfully, that we don't have a walker for Esm? because we don't like them.  She proceeds to make excuses about how they're only dangerous when people leave babies in them without watching them - blahblahblah.  I do the "uh-huh" thing because I'm irritated and want to get off the phone. 

I then see my aunt a few days later and she asks me if I let the baby "just crawl around everywhere" when we're at home.  Mmmm, yes, I do.  She's a mobile baby and it's her house.  Seriously?!

Fast-forward again about a week later and I'm told that my grandmother has bought the baby a $50 walker and is bringing it over to my aunt's who watches E on Tuesdays when I have class.  I doubt that E will like being in the walker, so I put her in and she cries (atta, girl!).  Also, the dumb thing is too tall for her to even have her feet touching the floor.  When the hubs picks her up that evening, my aunt insists he take it to our house, even though I told her that we would not use it.

Today: My aunt is sick, so I'm taking E to my grandmother's house.  She asks me to bring the walker so that she and my grandfather have something to put the baby in so that they "don't have to hold her and put her on the floor".  Huh?! She's nearly 10 months old, for crying out loud! Not to mention, I thought I made my feelings clear about the dadgum walker!

Ugh...I thought about conveniently "forgetting" to bring it, but I think I'll take it along in hopes that E will make her feelings about it known.  And maybe we can just leave it there.

Thanks to you if you've read this far! This has really bothered me; I don't get why people, especially family members, can't just respect your wishes as a parent.  And why not spend $50 on diapers or winter clothes?!!

Re: Walker-gate '08 (long)

• Ugh, sorry :( So they get something you're against, then make you cart it home, then want you to bring it with the baby? Yeah, I'd be tweaked, too...
  • ugh. i'm so sorry. we were given a walker as well and never used it. i finally sold it at a yard sale. when it comes down to it, i think family is the worst with the pushy parenting.
  • Loading the player...
  • Dh's grandma did the same thing, but I wasn't tactful and told her to take him out of the damn thing.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ugh, that sucks. ?Do you have an exersaucer (sp?)? ?Maybe you could bring that along instead. ?
  • I'm right there with you and I just don't get it.  It is the most irksome thing in the world when people don't repsect decisions regarding the care and feeding of your child.  Regardless of whether or not  they think they know better, your wishes should be respected.  I too would rather have the diapers and clothes!

• I had the same conversation with my mother..  Apparently my brother loved it and she insisted on buying one for her house (we were there after the hurricane)...  Anyway, I was wrong..  Luca loved it..  He had an absolute ball and it hasn't harmed him in any way..  I've thought about buying one for our house...  It does have a height adjustment and a lot of toys like an exersaucer... 
  • That would make me really mad.  I hate it when people don't respect my parenting choices.
    Mom to Alex - 8.29.06, Foster - 1.22.09, Emily - 6.24.11 imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm right there with you and I just don't get it.  It is the most irksome thing in the world when people don't repsect decisions regarding the care and feeding of your child.  Regardless of whether or not  they think they know better, your wishes should be respected.  I too would rather have the diapers and clothes!

• Joe has a walker and LOVES it! I put him in it while I am cooking in the kitchen bc I don't want him crawling around my feet when I am holding knives & hot pans etc. I haven't really ever thought of them as dangerous.

But, I would definitely be annoyed about family not respecting boundaries.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My pediatrician told us that they're bad for their development, try that one on them.  In all seriousness my pedi did say that.  It can impact their leg growth and delay their ability to walk. 
  • imageKelleyA:
    My pediatrician told us that they're bad for their development, try that one on them.  In all seriousness my pedi did say that.  It can impact their leg growth and delay their ability to walk. 

Ditto, My pedi said the same thing!  See what they have to say if you tell them that.

Sorry, it sucks when family is set in their ways

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"