February 2012 Moms

Chewing ice

I've been chewing on ice like crazy the past couple weeks. Anyone else? I'm wondering if it's a pregnancy thing or maybe the lack of sex in my life?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Chewing ice

• I don't remember for sure, but I think a craving for ice can indicate low iron.
    BabyFetus Ticker 1 year old and another on the way!!
  • My Dr. said craving ice is a sign your iron is low and that actually eating ice lowers your iron (I'm not sure how that works, but that's what she said).  You definitely need to mention your craving to your doc.  You need your iron to be built up before you have LO.  Plus, getting your iron up (assuming it is low) will help you not feel so fatigued.

• Loading the player...
  • The only time I chew ice like a fiend is about half way through my pregnancies, which is also about the time I was diagnosed with low iron (both pregnancies). I've heard they are correlated and they seemed to be for me. Definitely ask your doctor to check your iron. It drives DH crazy, but it's like an obsession for me when I'm pregnant. 
    Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Frosted Mini Wheats have a ton of iron, like 90% of the daily requirement if you aren't into red meat, etc.
  • so weird, Ive been doing the SAME THING! and that used to make my skin crawl lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow thanks for the responses! I had no idea about the low iron thing but I'll definitely mention it to my doc. Thanks ladies!
  • Although chewing ice is a sign of low iron some people just chew ice. I know I have always been borderline anemic and have always chewed ice. But I actually enjoy it. Its not something I crave but its such a nice way to stay cool when I feel warm and I do not like drinking tons of water so at least I am getting it that way. I think it depends on if this is something really new ( which is sounds like) so like PP said I would definately mention it to your doctor.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Yes Ice and cold water.  I figure its my sinus infection and soar throat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, definitely a sign of anemia. If it helps, I was not anemic the entire pregnancy until 2 weeks ago when my hemoglobin dropped pretty significantly. Thought it would have happened earlier. Hope it works out for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"