February 2012 Moms

Starting to freak out

Ok, is anyone else really starting to freak out about their post baby body? I am already stressed about what I am going to look like after LO is here. I know I am going to have to hit the gym but I am not sure what to realistically expect. I mean I know its not just going to go away as soon as he is out but I just read that you can expect to look like you did at 8 months after delivery. I CANNOT IMAGINE! Is that true?!?! I know I have gained a little too much so I am fine with busting my rump afterwards but I didnt think I would still look like I do now for a while after!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Starting to freak out

• I read a post the other day on how much weight 2+ moms lost with their first. Most seemed to lose the majority of the weight within the first couple months. 

Im trying not to stress too much about it. I know it won't come off instantly but as long as you've gained a healthy amount of weight it really shouldn't be too difficult to to lose it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've heard that basically when you leave the hospital you'll still look about 6 months. I think it really depends on how much you gained though, and where you gained it. Try not to worry, i think if you're conscious about your diet post-pregnancy and stay as active as possible you're going to be fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am trying not to add that to my plate of worries.

Right after delivery my sister looked about 4 months pregnant, within about 2 weeks she was down to prebaby look (even though she said really was 15 lbs heavier, you couldnt tell by looking at her) Now 3 months later she has lost all of it through BF alone.

the nurse at the doctor's office said that most moms lose it all within 6-8 months, and cut that time in half if BF.

I plan to have to work the weight off afterwards, losing weight doesnt come easily for me...but I know with work I can do it so I am not to worried.

• I haven't gained much.  I'm all baby, so I'm not super worried.

Slightly concerned about some extra skin but I'll deal with it.  Since I'm BFing I think that will help get the extra lbs off a little faster. 

It is what it is.   Took 9 months to put on, should take about that long to take off.  

• I think there are two factors to consider, weight vs. toning.  I lost all my weight fairly quickly, but just because the weight was gone didn't mean I looked like I did before pregnancy. 

About 4 months after delivery I was back to my normal weight.  At 6 months I figured I had done everything I could on my own, so I chose to start seeing a trainer to help me target my "problem areas".  Still even with a trainer, I'm pretty convinced that no amount of exercise will ever get your body to EXACTLY what it was like before baby.  Your bone structure physically changes and that doesn't necessarily go back to what it was. 

• imagewigirl2007:

I think there are two factors to consider, weight vs. toning.  I lost all my weight fairly quickly, but just because the weight was gone didn't mean I looked like I did before pregnancy. 

About 4 months after delivery I was back to my normal weight.  At 6 months I figured I had done everything I could on my own, so I chose to start seeing a trainer to help me target my "problem areas".  Still even with a trainer, I'm pretty convinced that no amount of exercise will ever get your body to EXACTLY what it was like before baby.  Your bone structure physically changes and that doesn't necessarily go back to what it was. 

this exactly. My body is totally different. Even 10 pounds under my pre-pg weight clothes didn't fit the same on me, and I was never able to get my abs back between pregnancies (18 months time). I did lose weight very quickly after dd, but the biggest misconception I had was how much I'd lose right off the bat. I lost 1-2 pounds after having a 9 lb baby. That's it! Talk about a bummer! It took me 4-5 days to lose all those fluids I had retained in the last week and then what was pumped into me for induction and group b. 
  • They do say "9 months up and 9 months down" so I'm just making that my goal.  I was actually on a very strict diet/exercise program beforehand to try and lose weight and still had a ways to go to my goal weight - so that's what I'll continue to do.  As long as you're working hard at it, you need to give yourself a break and not be so hard on yourself.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm stressing too. I have to remind myself that it took 9 months to put this weight on, so it's not going to come off in a few weeks. We're going home, to my husband's home country in South America, about 12 weeks after this baby arrives. I would love to be the size I was when we got married (last time his family saw me) but that's not going to happen. I've already told hubby that I'll probably need clothes for the trip. I 'm doubtful that I'll be in my regular summer clothes and I didn't buy any summer maternity clothes. I hope people are cooing over the baby and not focused on my post-baby body when we're there! :-)
  • You know, they say breastfeeding requires more calories than carrying the baby, so I'm trying not to worry about it. I've also read that exercising too much too soon can cause a lot of problems and it's best to take it slow at first. I'm going to wait til 12 weeks PP and then start with gentle exercise like walking and some easy stretches. I've gained a LOT of weight, and it's just going to take some time for it to come off. That's just the way it is.

Can you tell I'm trying to stay positive about this? LOL.

Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • A lot of it is that your uterus is still so big, it takes a while for it to go back to its normal size- not the weight gain itself. and think of the 8- 9 pounds no longer weighing on your back!!  Thats right away :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"