Austin Babies

Delicious recipe from last night!

Moroccan Beef Chili with Chickpeas and Raisinsfrom Slow Cooker Revolution (America?s Test Kitchen)1-2 slices good white sandwich bread torn into quarters2 tablespoon whole milk1 pound 85% lean ground beefsalt and pepper2 tablespoons cooking oil2 onions, minced2 tablespoons tomato paste3 garlic cloves, minced2 teaspoons sweet paprika2 teaspoons cumin1 ? teaspoons ground ginger? teaspoon cayenne pepper? teaspoon ground cinnamon1 15oz can tomato sauce1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes1 15oz can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)2 tablespoons soy sauce1 tablespoon brown sugar? cup raisins? teaspoon grated lemon zest2 teaspoons lemon juice

Directions:Mash bread and milk into a paste in a large bowl using fork. Mix in ground beef and ? tsp salt and pepper each using handsheat oil in skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions, tomato paste, garlic, paprika, cumin, ginger, cayenne, and cinnamon. Cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned 8-10 minutes.Stir in beef mixture and cook, breaking up any large pieces with wooden spoon until no longer pink ~ 3 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, scrape up any brown bits and transfer for slow cooker.Stir in diced tomatoes with juice, chickpeas, soy sauce and sugar into slow cooker. Cover and cook until beef is tender, 6-8 hours on low or 3-5 on high.Let chili settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface with large spoon. Break up any remaining large pieces of beef with spoon. Stir in raisins and let sit until heated through ~ 10 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and juice, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Magazine suggests serving with plain yoghurt, lime wedges and scallions.

**my notes**
I did the bread meat mixture in a baggie b/c I hate touching raw meat.
I was out of ground ginger and it tasted fine w/out it but I?m sure it?ll be good with it.
I hate chunks of hot tomatoes so I blitzed the dices tomatoes with the immersion blender to break em up.
I added a cup of raisins.
I served with jasmine rice.
H devoured it!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Delicious recipe from last night!

• It sounds great but that's a shitton of ingredients in this house!! It makes me dizzy just thinking about it. But good reason to buy fresh lemons and Jasmine rice. I think we'll try it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • It's all spices I had on hand :) but yeah, the list looks long. Seriously good, flavourful, but not too spicy so the kids should eat it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow. I actually have all of the ingredients for this on hand, so gonna try it tomorrow!! Think it would be ok with ground turkey instead of beef?
  • Turkey should work, I was thinking of trying it with ground chicken too :)

• Yum! Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"