November 2011 Moms
Options

Questions from a soon-to-be 02/2012 FTM

Hello Ladies, and congrats on your preciouse new babies! As a soon-to-be new momma I was hoping I could get your opinions on a few simple things...

-For your hospital bag what did you find to be an absolute must have?

-What could you have done without in the bag? (again RE: hosp bag)

-What do you wish you would have thought of?  (again RE: hosp bag)

Also:

-For you first few weeks at home what was an absolute must have to survive the first few weeks?

-And is there anything that you wish you would have had?

Thanks so much for any advice, it is much appreciated Big Smile And a Happy New Year to you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Questions from a soon-to-be 02/2012 FTM

• Options
    imageslv0606:

-For your hospital bag what did you find to be an absolute must have? just a going home outfit for me and baby...and the camera i guess. it was more important for us to make sure DH had what he needed, the hospital had everything i needed. DH had clothes, bathroom supplies, his laptop and a bunch of snacks.

-What could you have done without in the bag? (again RE: hosp bag) i used almost nothing i packed...i wore the hospitals mesh panties for the first week and used their pads. i took extra clothes and my own nightgown and never used them.

-What do you wish you would have thought of?  (again RE: hosp bag) i think there's too much stress surrounding the hospital bag. they really have everything you need at the hospital. just take something to amuse yourself (computer, ipad, etc.) but you might not even have time to use it!

Also:

-For you first few weeks at home what was an absolute must have to survive the first few weeks?

a swing...definitely the swing! it was a lifesaver when DS wouldn't calm down or go to sleep. and the sleep sheep. he LOVES that thing!

ummm...a nanny?  Smile

stool softeners were a must. those first few BMs were torture.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree w kclear - unless you are very particular the hospital has everything you need for you and LO. Even stuff I forgot - like a hairbrush! They gave me a comb.

My DH was also going home to feed our dogs so he brought stuff we needed and hadn 't thought of. You will likely have visitors who can bring things too. Bottom line - don't stress about it.

That being said - here are the thing I was glad I had:

- My own pillows (didn't like hospital ones)

- Bobby breastfeeding pillow (Lactation consultants showed me good ways to use it)

- camera

- laptop

- chargers for camera, cell phone, laptop, etgc

- personal hygiene products

- flip flops for the shower

For the first few weeks at home the things I used the most were: burp cloths, receiving blankets, swaddle blanket, boppy pillow, moby wrap, things for my own entertainment while holding LO (laptop, a kindle, snacks, etc). My LO didn't really like any devices like a swing, bouncer, etc. All he wanted was to be held (and still does). So I have a lot of things that were a waste of money.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

-For your hospital bag what did you find to be an absolute must have? Personal items like deodorant hairbrush etc.

-What could you have done without in the bag? (again RE: hosp bag) iPad and other personal entertainment devices

-What do you wish you would have thought of?  (again RE: hosp bag) nothing really

Also:

-For you first few weeks at home what was an absolute must have to survive the first few weeks? Swaddled and boppy

-And is there anything that you wish you would have had? More time off from work before baby came. DS came two weeks early. I went to work on Friday and my water broke at 2am Saturday. So I had no time off before he was born 

• Options
    imageslv0606:

Hello Ladies, and congrats on your preciouse new babies! As a soon-to-be new momma I was hoping I could get your opinions on a few simple things...

-For your hospital bag what did you find to be an absolute must have? lip balm! snacks for dh

-What could you have done without in the bag? (again RE: hosp bag) breast pads, nursing bras

Also:

-For you first few weeks at home what was an absolute must have to survive the first few weeks? bouncer and or swing, and an extra set of hands Wink

-And is there anything that you wish you would have had? not really

Thanks so much for any advice, it is much appreciated Big Smile And a Happy New Year to you!

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options

If you plan to BF, definitely bring the boppy to the hospital.  It was a lifesaver on learning the different ways you can use it to help position baby.

And I would definitely invest in a RnP (Rock 'N' Play) if you don't have one.  My daughter still uses it for naps and to sleep in at night! 

• Options
    imageslv0606:

-For your hospital bag what did you find to be an absolute must have? Yoga pants/jogging pants, a large hoodie, warm socks, my own cosmetics and bathroom supplies (made me feel "normal"), flip flops, slippers, bathrobe (my baby was unexpectantly in NICU, so this helped me stay covered and warm when I visited him).   Also, I'm super glad we brought our laptop.

-What could you have done without in the bag? (again RE: hosp bag) I did not pack these things, but I was thinking about it: Tucks pads, maxi pads and nursing pads.  The hospital has EVERYTHING you would need for post-partum healing so these are not necessary to pack.  You'll want them when you get home.  

-What do you wish you would have thought of?  (again RE: hosp bag) I wish I had thought of bringing snacks.  My hospital was awesome at providing great meals and snacks during the day, but when I woke in the night completely famished, it would have been easier to have something bedside.  I also wish we had brought our own pillows.  The hospital gave me as many as I requested, but they are thin, plastic-y and I needed about seven.  Had I brought one or two of mine, I would have been more comfortable.

Also:

-For you first few weeks at home what was an absolute must have to survive the first few weeks? Lanolin and supportive sports/sleeping bras (if you're breastfeeding), water, snacks (quick, one-handed items), support from DH, meals provided or already prepared, a clean, organized house (I'm super glad I tackled major cleaning and organizing prior to baby because when we came home it made functioning a lot easier).

-And is there anything that you wish you would have had? I cannot think of anything else I wish I had, but I wish I had gotten around to  washing/sanitizing my breastpump and had read up on how the thing works.  It was the last thing I had to do, but was induced early due to high blood pressure, so I had to scramble when I got home to figure it out.  Get your "list of things to do" done early!

Best wishes for a happy, healthy delivery!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Good luck to you! :) I hope you have a nice quick delivery! Now, some answers to yoru questions..

-For your hospital bag what did you find to be an absolute must have? Must have was my own pajamas. That made me feel like a human being. And flip flops. I used my flip flops as slippers and they were a lot easier than actually having real slippers, since my feet were so absurdedly swollen. 

-What could you have done without in the bag? (again RE: hosp bag) I didn't need to bring my own pads. I thought I would hate the mesh underwear and the pads supplied but they were great. I got a bunch to take home. 

-What do you wish you would have thought of?  (again RE: hosp bag) A blanket for LO when we went home. We had to have my mom come and bring us one because we didn't pack one and we had a huge snow storm in October when I had the baby, after it was 70 degrees the few days before. 

Also:

-For you first few weeks at home what was an absolute must have to survive the first few weeks? Snacks I can eat with one hand and stool softener. 

-And is there anything that you wish you would have had? I wish I would have DVR'd some more stuff to watch. Late night feedings were really dull because I went through everything really quickly. But, on the plus side, I've become addicted to Friends as a result. 

• Options

One more thought - a little unrelated to your questions but still applies

The one thing I didn't plan for at all but wish I would have was the possibility of a c-section. I was in complete denial that I might have one. I know a lot of moms on this board had unplanned c-sections as well. We had to do a lot of re-arranging at my house because we had not considered that I wouldn't be able to go upstairs or drive.

So, have people in your life ready to help you (at least as a back-up). It was also completely awesome when someone would bring us food. I wish I had more of that!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageslv0606:

Comfy shoes... we walked, and walked, and walked, and having a decent pair of walking shoes was a must. Also, we had honey sticks which were a life saver for me when they cut off food during labor, it gave me at least a little bit of energy.

And nursing tanks (if you plan to BF)

-What could you have done without in the bag? (again RE: hosp bag) So many clothes for me, I didn't wear my own until the day I left. I was surprised how willing I was to be in the mesh panties and the hospital gown.

Oh, and my SIL brought me a bag of snacks that were a lifesaver! They might not have food for you when you've delivered, and chances are you will be STARVING after delivery. Also, you will be hungry at night... granola bars, trail mix, etc are really nice to have.   

Also:

Colace (stool softener), I was terrified of that first post partum BM, it made it bearable. Ibuprofen.

One-handed snacks.

Always Infinity Overnight pads.

And lots and lots of friends and family to bring you food and let you sleep. Honestly, any time someone offers to let you sleep while they watch the baby, take them up on it!

More sleep (see above!)

• Options

After LO had arrived I was so, so happy that I had something to wear other than the hospital gowns they provide, I brought a black (to avoid stains) light slip hospital gown that was easy to breastfeed in and felt like heaven (and no, it didn't get ruined). Other things:  Lanolin, Notepad (to write down my birth story while it was still fresh in my head), slippers, camera, Chap stick, 2 changes of COMFORTABLE clothes)

-What could you have done without in the bag? 

I didn't read the book I brought at all (which surprised me because I'm an avid reader) or listen to my iPod

Hmm, my hospital really had EVERYTHING I could have needed. So, really nothing. 

Lanolin, my mom (haha, seriously though having her around for the first week and half was SUCH a lifesaver - she cooked, cleaned and just plain made my life so, so much easier), Bouncer, and a stockpile of diapers and wipes 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

-toiletries are absolute must haves.  hair brush, deodorant, chap stick.  I was glad to have my own comfie clothes.  I wore the hospital gown for about an hour and then was ready for my own clothes

-I think I actually used everything I packed except powdered gatorade and my hypnobabies stuff.  that was for laboring at the hospital which I didn't do

-the things dh went back home for were laptops and shampoo.  we also forgot the camera, but borrowed my mom's

-for the first few weeks make sure you have lots of easy food on hand

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with most of the above.  Snacks saved my life as well as the lanolin, I think I used up half the tube but I never had sore or cracked nipples and BF has been easier than I thought.  Good luck!
    "Read the books, don
  • Options
    I looked at Smileari's list and packed most of what she had on hers.
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options

I had an emergency c-section and was in the hospital for 4 days.  During labor the only thing I really had much use for was my iPhone, which I use for everything all day anyway--communication, entertainment, web surfing, etc.  I needed the charger for that too because I used it so much.  After he was born I was very glad to have my own PJ's/comfy clothes, slippers, chapstick, lotion, shampoo, toothbrush etc.

I actually can't think of anything, but I'm a pretty light packer.

More clothes for LO.  Once he was off the heart monitor (after about a day) I was allowed to dress him in whatever I wanted, and it was fun to do so :) I made DH go home and get some of the outfits we had received as gifts so I could dress up LO!

Also:

Diapers, wipes, bottles, formula, baby clothes, big comfy clothes for myself, Rock N Play sleeper (easy to move around so I could put LO in whatever room I was in and keep an eye on him), gigantic postpartum pads, remedies for constipation and 'roids (I had them really really bad), Percocet for the c-section pain, books to read on my Kindle while feeding LO, the car seat since we couldn't leave the hospital without it (LO came early and DH had to go out and buy one while we were in the hospital, ack!), well stocked diaper bag which made me less nervous the first few times we took LO out to the pediatrician and to Grandma's house. 

Also I thought we had a ridiculous number of receiving blankets, but we use them as burp cloths, under him for quick diaper changes, and various other things so we really have needed a lot of those too.

Before he was born I bought bottles, a bottle drying rack and a bottle brush.  Those have gotten a LOT of use and were an excellent purchase.  Even if you plan on EBF it wouldn't hurt to have a few bottles on hand (and it turned out my milk never came in and I was unable to BF at all).  Get a dishwasher basket for washing them if you have a dishwasher, or a drying rack and bottle brush if you will hand wash.

There were definitely things I wanted more of.  A lot more baby clothes for sure.  I was sure we had way more than enough newborn outfits, but actually we had like 10 which is NOT enough unless you do laundry every day, which we can't because we don't have the machines in our apartment.  We finally have enough newborn stuff now, probably at least 30 outfits, but he goes through them so fast between spitting up and diaper leaks, it's ridiculous!

I wanted more bottles and more diapers.  Those are the only other things I can think of.

Good luck!

• Options

-For your hospital bag what did you find to be an absolute must have? A good pajama set, slippers, and robe!

-What could you have done without in the bag? (again RE: hosp bag) All the baby clothes!!!

-What do you wish you would have thought of?  (again RE: hosp bag) I had pretty much everything I needed!

Also:

-For you first few weeks at home what was an absolute must have to survive the first few weeks? Stool softeners, Preparation H, Dermoplast Spray, Gripe Water for LO and gas drops, PADS!!!!

-And is there anything that you wish you would have had? A chef, housekeeper, MORE SLEEP!!!!

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Options

-For your hospital bag what did you find to be an absolute must have? My own pillows, my own toiletries

-What could you have done without in the bag? (again RE: hosp bag) I didn't need so many clothes - hospital gowns were all I wanted for a couple of days. I didn't need the underwear or pads - the hospital's work fine. Plus anything for LO - diapers, wipes, clothes, etc - the hospital provides all of this.

-What do you wish you would have thought of?  (again RE: hosp bag) I had a ton of trouble breastfeeding starting out, and wish I had brought a My Breast Friend pillow. It straps around you and stays in place so that your LO can eat, rest, eat, etc up against you without exhausting your arms. I didn't have the muscles and was sore from a c-section birth - if I had had the Breast Friend, I believe that the breastfeeding process would have been much less frustrating for me. When I finally bought the pillow was when we really rounded a corner and started having success with BF. (Also, the Boppy never worked for me with LO as a newborn. She was too small and would keep rolling down into the space between the pillow and me).

Also:

-For you first few weeks at home what was an absolute must have to survive the first few weeks? Comfy clothes. Netflix/DVR to keep me awake during the middle of the night feedings. 

Good luck!!!!

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • Options
    forgive my format and typos. im on my phone and LO wont let me pit her downhosp bag- these items were helpful to me-snacks (you WILL get hungry in the middle of the night)old undies (i didnt like the mesh ones, im plus size and they didnt fit right )camera and batteriesdrinkscomfy clothes (i hated the hosp gown and was able yo showered rigjt away after giving birth and was in the hosp a couple days)slippers (my feet were too swollen for the slipper socks i brought)clothes for LO -is our swaddlers and jammieas. not a must have but helpful to us. a baby nail kit (lo's nails were So long and the hosp does not provide them.)hygeine stuff for me and Fiphone cordchange of clothes for Fi- even though Fi went home for the dogs my mom stayed with the dogs the first night. si Fi needes at least 1 change od clothesi thought id want/need my kindle fire so i could go online and read but used it once for a half hour.at home needs- tucks wipesover night padsalways regular flow pads (i only bled bas the first few days. theae were much more active comfy)night gowns for LO. i had jammies but no night gownsmore newborn size clothesmore newborn diapers(our hosp did not send any home woth us)burp clothesmy LO did not like the swing until she was 2 weeks. she still isnt in love with the rock n play.good luck with your LO. remember to maintain patiencealso lanolin and breast pads- the lanolon can stain so uae the pad
  • Options

I would say that the PP mommies covered just about everything.

The best thing I took to the hospital were comfy slippers. I don't like to wear socks and I was not about to walk around with out anything on my feet. 

A must to take to the hospital would be personal toiletries. I would highly recommend a travel pack of face wipes. I took one with me and used almost the entire package. After napping in the hospital I just felt icky and it was nice to be able to get a quick clean face. 

What I took that I didn't need were so many clothes for myself. The day I delivered I wore the hospital gown for the rest of the day and the rest of my stay I wore yoga pants and a nursing shirt from Old Navy. It was great to be comfy and not have to struggle when visitors were there to nurse DS. 

In the first few weeks I wish I would have had a moby wrap baby carrier. I got one for Christmas and I've used it every day since. It is awesome and DS loves it, emphasis on loves!

Best of luck for a easy labor and delivery!!! :o)  

• Options

Everything pp said. For hospital I made sure and have two types of pjs, pants and a gown in case of a csection. I bought the tanks from Target and live in them so great for BF. make sure you have socks or house shoes with rubber bottoms the floor gave me the willies. Nursing cover for when you have guests. 

I only packed what I needed and one outfit for me and baby. Don't pack anything else.

At home make sure you have mom or a friend stay with you it was so very helpful. We took care of baby and mom took care of house and food.

Also make sure you have a nail file for those little nails or onsies that have the hand covers. We bought tons of those.

Best advise I wish I had was not to stock pile on anything because you don't know if you LO will like/use it. I bought tons of Huggies and now I can't use them because they didn't work for him.  

• Options
    imageslv0606:

Very little.  Cell phone charger, baby clothes (but we had a preemie and they kept telling us he needed to be warmer), toiletries.  I enjoyed having sweatpants/shirt so that at a certain point I could feel normal.

Almost everything...don't haul it in and you don't have to haul it out. 

Packing it and having it ready to go sooner so that we didn't end up with a whole bunch of crap we didn't need when DH had to finish packing. 

Also:

disposable dinnerware--avoid dishes!, lots of clothes available for constant changes, sleep sheep or noise machine, caffeine (LOL), gas drops

A velcro swaddleme (I was very anxious over swaddle breaking because DS was masterful), battery operated breastpump (but I was an EPer), more help--don't turn it down!!

• Options

-For your hospital bag what did you find to be an absolute must have? Honestly I didn't even touch it until it was time to go home so just clothes for me and baby. I would've worn the hospital gown home if I could have.

-What could you have done without in the bag? (again RE: hosp bag) Everything else.

-What do you wish you would have thought of?  (again RE: hosp bag) Nothing.

Also:

-For you first few weeks at home what was an absolute must have to survive the first few weeks? Family to help lol. I don't think we would have made it without them.

-And is there anything that you wish you would have had? More pain meds. I broke my tailbone and had two second degree tears so I had quite a bit of pain but I thought I'd be okay with just ibuprofen but I wish I'd gotten prescription pain meds.

• Options

-For your hospital bag what did you find to be an absolute must have? I loved having my robe and warm slippers.  I also am glad I brought my own shower toiletries, as the bathroom didn't have anything but a cheap bar of soap.  It felt sooo good to shower with nice bath products.  Also, make sure to bring your camera and charger and a computer if you want something to entertain yourself.

-What could you have done without in the bag? (again RE: hosp bag)  I didn't need most of what I packed for DD's bag... extra outfits, paci's, blankets, since the hospital had everything we needed.

-What do you wish you would have thought of?  (again RE: hosp bag) I didn't have any nursing tops or tanks, and I really would have liked to have that. 

Also:

-For you first few weeks at home what was an absolute must have to survive the first few weeks? Swaddle blankets.  I still can't live without them.  Also, have lots of snacks and meals that are easy for you to eat/cook on your own.

-And is there anything that you wish you would have had? One thing I did before the baby came was stock up on toiletries, paper towels, TP, dish soap, etc. which was great because I didn't have to worry about running out of anything and having to go to the store.  There isn't really anything I wish I would have had.

Good luck with your new baby!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

Wow, you have received a lot of great advice already. I didn't' read every response, so I hope this isn't repeditive.

My own pillows.  This was absolute must for me since I didn't have any pain meds to help me manage the pain and labor in different positions.  If you are going straight for the epi, you may not need this.

-What could you have done without in the bag?

All of my extra clothes.  I basically only needed an outfit to go home in since I wore the hospital gowns for my entire stay.

-What do you wish you would have thought of? (again RE: hosp bag)

Nothing.  I ended up needing a lot less than I thought. Mostly nursing tanks and toiletries.

Sleep! My parents were lifesavers in terms of doing dishes and cooking.  DH and I were absoutely wiped out just taking care of her in that first week.  Also, pads, tucks pads and 800mg motrin were lifesavers in those first 2 weeks post delivery.   

Toddler Turtle - November 2011
    Baby Turtle - November 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"