Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Genetic Testing after 2nd loss

Hello ladies,

I had my second loss (in a row) after seeing a fetal heart beat and 5 weeks 5 days. I had a D&C on December 13th and opted for testing to see if there were any genetic problems since this was my second loss after having a perfectly healthy baby girl the first time around. I did not want to know the sex as it would make the loss even more real but my doctor told me that it was a boy before I could even tell them I didnt want to know. I REALLY wanted this baby to be a boy although I would have been happy with a healthy girl too. Hearing that it was a boy made the sting that much worse. Anyhow, we found out that the baby had trisomy 4 which I guess was supposed to make me feel better but doesnt. Shortly after my appointment I had some blood drawn for genetic testing and my husband has an appointment next week for the same. My doctor tried to reassure me that this was most likely another fluke since I had one healthy live birth. Its hard to believe that or even be hopeful as they told me the same thing after my first loss. I am thankful for what I have but really want another child. I have never been so happy to see a year pass and am hoping that 2012 holds a much better future for me and my family. Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2012 with sweet little healthy take home babies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Baby #2 missed m/c and 8.5 weeks, blighted ovum with D&C. Baby #3, heartbeat at 5w5d, stopped growing at 6w3d. Rest peacefully my angels.

Re: Genetic Testing after 2nd loss

• So sorry for your loss and the difficult news. Here's to a much better new year for all of us!
    BFP#1 - 11/13/11, Natural MC - 12/24/11 at 12 weeks
    BFP#2 - 10/2/12, Please be our rainbow.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm sorry for your loss.  Right now your loss is so fresh that no matter what the news it would sting and be painful to hear.  I think in a little while you may take some comfort in having an answer as to why you lost your baby.  Having an answer doesn't make the loss easier or harder, but I think it eliminate the forever wondering why.

I would agree with your doctor that the trisomy is most likely a fluke, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have the testing done to just be certain.  I had two living children and then two losses and it was very hard for me to keep pushing forward and believing I would have another.  Only you know what you can take but right now I think you just need to take the time to grieve and then you'll know in time if and when you're ready to try again.

And, you don't need to ever say that you are thankful for what you have, of course you are.  For so many women, having a child brings so much love and joy into their life that it's only natural to want more of that love and joy.  Don't ever apologize for wanting that.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Loading the player...
  • I don't know much of the condition but I am sorry. Hopefully you can find comfort in knowing later on in the future. 

• I am so sorry your are having a difficult time with your news. I found out I had a girl. I wanted a girl sooooo very bad. The good thing that came from it for me though is I was able to name her, Grace. I hated saying it all the time. T&P's to you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so sorry. Hope you get your healthy baby boy in 2012!

It was a rough road, but Arlo Daniel was born April 1, 2013—and our second rainbow is due October 12, 2014.
  • I'm sure hearing the results didn't make you feel better, but at least you are getting them done to help you in the future.  Hope 2012 gives you your BFP! :]
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.  I just had my 2nd loss after having a healthy baby and also opted for genetic testing.  I'm terrified to find out what the results say, for fear that it won't give me a little piece of mind.
    Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"