December 2010 Moms
Options

DS is underweight!

any tips to sneak some fat/high calorie foods into DS diet. We were a bit slow in introducing solids- he is sick at least once a month from daycare and he had acid reflux since he was 2 months old.

He didn't like eggs much and we were a miss with cheese (although he did like gruyere pieces at a friend's home last week). Yogurt he loves but we go through phases where we don't give it to him when he is congested- which is every other week lately! he will eat pieces of asian bakery raisin bread which is i'm sure is laden with butter. any advice?

Re: DS is underweight!

• Options

Any kind of beans and avocado are great choices. Also if you feel comfortable starting peanut butter, that's a good choice too. Did you pedi suggest carnation instant breakfast or anything similar to add to his milk? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Is he severly underweight? If so, I would seek the advice of your pedi about good ways to increase calories. A friend of mine had a LO with SEVERE reflux and had to do drastic things like feed her LO mayo and other high fat / calorie foods. I'm not sure if you're looking to go that drastic or not though.

Have you tried ice cream?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hey, A is also on the low side of the curve, so we are trying to increase calories as well.  He eats a yogurt for breakfast everyday.  You may want to try thinning it out with some formula or milk so it is less likely to congest him, plus that also adds calories!

No more puffs or anything, give things that are denser and high calorie like cubes of cheese, or cut up meatballs, or jammy sammies.

Also buy purees with DHA bc they have about 30 extra calories in them.

We spike his bottles with a shot of cream.  We are not doing pediasure yet...I want to get his bloodwork back to see if he actually has a nutritional deficiency. If he is just small I wont' do anything like pediasure.

Honestly, I have been doing all this and I got A to gain 2 lbs in 3 months, but the dr. still wasn't satisfied. We have been trying though! How big is your LO?

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options
    If your pedi is concerned, ask for a referral to a pediatric nutritionist. We use carnation instant breakfast to boost calories. We found out LO likes Vienna sausages which are nice and high in calories. Don't give up on the cheese yet, just keep trying it. I believe research shows that it can take up to 30-40 times of trying a food in order to develop a preference for it.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

What about stuffed pastas, like ravioli, tortellini or gnocchi (can you tell I'm Italian, lol?)? or even pierogis with Parmesan cheese & butter?

Have you tried cream cheese sandwiches?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I've started making baby meatloaves with cheese, bread crumbs, rice cereal, some pureed veggies, pureed chicken, and an egg. LO seems to like them ok and they have lots of protein and fat.

We also do full fat greek yogurt which is very calorie dense, and avocado.

• Options
    thanks everyone. our pedi recommended we give 6-8 oz of pediasure a day...we usually add 1-2  with his formula throughout the day. i haven't given it to him straight yet. He was 18.8lbs 2 weeks ago then 19.0 last week but he was 18.6 yesterday. Last week DS had a really high fever and had to go to the ER.Our pedi basically said red meat, cheese, carbs and butter. and to give him 2 yogurts a day. we only give him one now. i bought a tub of the full fat fage and he vomited it out (but it could have been his sickness at the time) i'm not sure i want to introduce peanut butter but maybe cream cheese is a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"