Nurseries and Baby Gear

Registry Question

I am trying to finish up my registry for my shower. I am a first time mom so it's hard to know what I will actual need and use for the baby. I registered for a bassinet for our bedroom, a bouncer, a full size swing, and a pack n play. Is it all necessary? If I have the bassinet in our bedroom and plenty of places to put him during the day like the bouncer and swing, is a nice pack n play like the Chicco Lullaby with a bassinet, sturdy changing table, and toy mobile necessary? I've heard that the Chicco pack n play is heavy and not as portable as the Graco's. I will definitely be traveling with the pack n play but I'm not so sure I'm going to even use it daily at my house.

Re: Registry Question

• I HIGHLY recommend the Rock and Play.  This took the place of the bassinet for us and is also great for traveling with.  Also - if your LO has reflux like our, the incline from the RNP will be quite helpful.  We have the RNP and a pack n play with the changing table attached.  It is good quality and very useful although she hasn't gone in the crib portion of it much.  We got an expensive swing and LO HATED it.  It really all depends on the child.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Totally agree with the PP.  Our LO HATED the bassinet and loved the RnP.    She slept in the RnP in our room and then we moved it to the living room during the day for naps. 

We do have a pack-n-play, but our LO is 5 months old and is yet to use it.  Thinking it will be handy when she's mobile and too big for RnP. 

We've never had a bouncer, use the RnP instead.   We do have a swing and our LO loved it for about 2 months and now hates it.  

Hardest part is knowing what your LO will like.   IMO, skip the bouncer and bassinet and go for the RNP and PNP.   A swing is the third option and could come in handy.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I checked out the rock n play in the store and it seemed kind of flimsy. Is it nice and sturdy with the baby in it? Also, isn't it better for them to sleep flat or no???
  • I'm a FTM and so many people recommended the rock n play.  I was clueless and thought it looked flimsy too.   It has been a miracle!  It's not flimsy at all....our LO is 5 months and still naps in it.   Plus, it's light and can be moved around the house.

I think babies like it because it's suggly and almost wraps around them.   Babies actually prefer it because it's at an incline instead of flat....especially if you have a reflux baby.    That's why many babies don't like the crib or bassinet but love the rock-n-play.   

• Does everyone suggest the rock n play over Carters bassinet????
  • imagecherylanne1012:
    Does everyone suggest the rock n play over Carters bassinet????

I'm nor sure if "everyone" does.....but we had a bassinet that we planned on using for LO in our room.   Then someone got us the RnP for my shower.   We tried using the bassinet and our LO hated it.  We brought up the RnP and she loved it. 

Since then I've recommended it to several friends and they've regretted buying a bassinet.  

I'm in no way affiliated with Fisher Price and have no reason to promote the RnP, it's just what has worked really well for us :).  

If you do a search on the boards you'll see that most people promote the RnP.  

• The RNP is by far the best purchase we made.  Our LO still sleeps in it some nights.  As for the incline - It's the only thing that worked for our LO due to reflux.  If she laid flat the she would projectile vomit all over the crib.  I dont think it's flimsy and I love how portable it is.  I actually have the boucer too since LO hated the swing.  I got it for 25 bucks and dont know that I would spend much more on one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I loved having my Pack n Play because we have a 2-story house, so it was good for naps and changing downstairs when the crib and changing table are upstairs.  We also had a bassinet in our room, but only used it for about a month.  The swing was a lifesaver for us, especially during the time when our son had day/night confusion.  He would want to be awake all night, so we would put him in the swing and it would keep him happy.  Some babies hate the swings, though, so as PP said, you need to figure out what your baby likes best.  The bouncers are nice because they are easily moveable from room to room when you don't want to lay your baby on the floor.  I would say leave all that stuff on your registry, and if people buy it for you, great!  If not, then you can decide which of those items you think would be most beneficial to you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • We used the crib from day one.  I don't understand the point of a bassinet. PNP we use for travel and right now it's at grandma's house.  We had a bouncy seat that was good for naps on the fly, as well as traveling to a friend/family members house for short visits.  We love our swing and still use it.  We didn't use the swing as much when LO was under 4 months.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Bassinet and a pack and play w/ a bassinet attachment seems like it might be overkill to me. We used a basic graco pnp w/ a bassinet insert in our bedroom when LO slept in our room early on. Now that he's older, I use it for travel and occasionally as a play yard. A good thing to consider is if you have any friends who might be able to loan you some of these items at least long enough to test and see what your LO likes. Our LO isn't a big fan of the swing. I'm very glad I discovered that while trying out a friend's for a couple weeks rather than after shelling out money for one.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"