Nurseries and Baby Gear

Toy Mobile on Pack n Plays

I am trying to decide which pack n play to get. There are so many options.... newborn nappers, changing tables, toy mobiles... can anyone tell me which options they felt were actually necessary/helpful??? I am going mostly between Chicco Lullaby or Graco. 

Re: Toy Mobile on Pack n Plays

• When DS was little newborn nappers were not an option on PNPs, so I can't comment on that. 

We bought a top of the line Graco in 2005. The changers back then were a joke.  They bent very easily and once baby was about 10 lbs., he leaned so much I gave up using it.  Plus, I found I didn't really even use the changing station in his bedroom that much by that age.  I just changed him on a blanket/changing pad on the floor, bed or couch.  It was easier with a squirmy baby. 

Our mobile was used maybe twice.  It was so cheaply made it broke right away.

We are TTC baby #2 now, and if we are lucky enough to have another baby I think I'd buy a Graco again, but I probably would just go with the $80-$100 models that don't have all the bells and whistles.  I'd buy something like the Rock N Play to use as a bassinet for the first few months.  The one exception that might make me conisder the fancier model would be if I had bedrooms on one level of the house & the main living area on a different level.  Then I'd get a model that had the bassinet & changer for use for naps and changes during the day those first few months where all baby is ever doing is eating, sleeping, or being changed.  You don't want to have to haul baby and/or dirty diapers up and down the stairs every two to three hours!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Yes, our nursery is on the same floor as our living room/dining room. So I don't think the changing table on the pnp would be necessary for us. If we have a bassinet in our bedroom and a bouncer and full size swing in our living room would it even be helpful to have the pnp set up in our living room or is it a waste of space???
  • Loading the player...
  • IMO it'd be a waste of space.  We only used our PNP for traveling and occasionally as a safe place to put a toddler to keep him safe or out of the way for a few minutes while we did something like moved a piece of furniture.

image imageimageimage

• We don't have a lot of space in our living room so I'm not even sure where the pack n play would go. The nursery is right down the hallway so I don't see why I wouldn't just use the changing table in there. Plus he will probably nap a lot in the bounce and swing right? It's so hard to know what baby will like before he is actually here. I hate to waste money and have people buy me things that he won't ever use so I'm just trying to get what is good and useful.
  • It sounds to me like you are doing a good job thinking everything through.  You hit the nail on the head though, it really is hard to know what the "right" gear is until LO is here.  My DS hated his swing, but loved his bouncer. We passed both down to my little sister for her two kids.  One loved the swing, the other loved both. 

The good thing about newborns is that they sleep a lot a first.  Really you just need some place safe for them to sleep, a carseat, formula/breasmilk, diapers, and clothes the first few weeks.  The rest you can get later!  If it doesn't stress you out to not have everything right when baby gets here, you could just register for your favorite bouncer/PNP/swing/baby gym/etc. but not buy anything you don't get as a gift.  Then when baby is a few weeks old and and you know his/her personality better you could make a trip out to get the items you think will get used and return any gifts you think won't get used.  GL!

image imageimageimage

• imageCLLDLL:

IMO it'd be a waste of space.  We only used our PNP for traveling and occasionally as a safe place to put a toddler to keep him safe or out of the way for a few minutes while we did something like moved a piece of furniture.

this.  None of the bells and whistles on a pack and play are needed.  To me they are all a waste of space and money.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm going with the Chicco Lullaby XL because we do a lot of camping and it has a built in night light with remote.  If LO starts crying in the night I can turn the light on w/out getting out of bed to check on her.  It may seem silly but it's a major ordeal for me to get in and out of bed when camping (lots of sleeping bags/blankets to rearrange, dogs to move out of the way, etc)  The Chicco also seems heftier than the other models so I think it will with stand the rigors of camping better than some of the less expensive models.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"