Pregnant after IF
Options

Silly IVF question...forgive me

Hopping over to this board for a min from 3T. I tried Googling this, but I don't think I'm wording it right to get the answer I want. I'm sure it's there, I just can't find it! And I know it's probably a silly question at that, but I didn't know who else to ask so here goes....

DH and I are moving on to IVF in February. We already know we are going to (hopefully) transfer 2 embies...assuming that everything goes according to plan. Is it possible for just one of them to stick? And if so, what happens to the other one that doesn't attach? How does it leave the ute then? Or is it an all or nothing sort of situation?

I feel like I'm a 5th grader again with my questions about the human body! And I know that this shouldn't be a pressing question for me with all of the other things running through my head, but it's something that I've been thinking about ever since we decided to go to IVF. I want them BOTH to stick! Ugh did this happened to any of you?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Silly IVF question...forgive me

• Options

I'm willing to admit that I have often wondered the same thing.  I transferred 3 embryos and am currently pregnant with one.  Good luck with your cycle.

• Options
    We transferred two, but only one stuck. That is more common than both sticking. The other one just gets absorbed by the body. Good luck. 
    TTC since 2006
    Me: 36 DH: 40
    DH dx azoospermia My dx: RA & AMA
    d-IUI's--6/10, 7/13 & 8/4: all BFN
    d-IVF#1--Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle/Novarel; mini-dose protocol
    ER: 10/25--18R; 14F; ET: 10/28--3dt of 2 embies; 3 blasts frozen
    + HPT 11/4; Beta #1--14dp3dt: 441; Beta #2--21dp3dt: 9298
    One beautiful jelly bean growing! Saw h/b on 11/28 and 12/5!!!
    P/SAIF welcome
    <a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/mandalinn/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am also pg with one after putting 2 back. The other one just breaks down and gets resorbed. GL!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Options
    Thank you for your responses! And thank you for not making me feel like an idiot for asking it Stick out tongue Hoping to move over to this board in March!
  • Options
    I transferred 4 and only 1 stuck. Embryos are tiny and your body will just absorb the ones that don't make it.

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

5 Day blastocysts are each smaller than Roosevelt's eye on the face of a U.S. dime! If it doesn't stick, it just gets absorbed in your body. 

I transferred 2 5-day blastocysts, and they both actually implanted.  We saw 2 gestational sacs at the u/s at 6w5d.  However, only one gestational sac had a baby in it--the other one was completely empty.  

I asked whether or not the gestational sac would cause a problem or anything to the baby that was in there, and my RE said that it wouldn't do anything and that my body would just reabsorb it.  I think that technically what I had was what they call a vanishing twin, even though there was no baby there.  

GL with your IVF this February! Hope to see you over here in March!

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We transferred two and were amazingly blessed that they both stuck! Best of luck to you in your IVF cycle!!  Hope to see you back around here soon!
  • Options
    We transferred two and both stuck and I've heard both their heartbeats. I actually accredit a few things to the two sticking, first RMA of NJ I am one of several friends this has happened to- all have twins, only one vanished. I think the doctor who did my transfer was so skilled on placement he spent close to 20 minutes putting them in the right place. RMA only does a 5 day transfer, I think this is key. The embryo quality/grading. Lying down with my knees up- even the car ride home! He said if they were gonna stick it would be in the next 24 hours. And then of course fate. But it was a combination of all that that led me to two. GL You will know if one doesn't stick, you bleed.
  • Options

Yes, I had two transferred and expecting a singleton. I had light bleeding around implant time. I think my 2nd implantation bleed may have been my body expelling #2. However, that is just my theory. 

ME: 30 DH: 30
    TTC #1 since 3/2010
    DX: Unclear-potential MF (low motility, borderline count); currently unexplained
    Ultrasound/HSG- Feb 2011
    Lap: May 2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #1: 6/2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #2: 7/2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #3: 8/2011
    9/2011 Switched REs...and more testing
    DX: Unexplained- borderline MFI
    IVF #1: 11/09/2011- BFP!!
    Beta #1: 241; Beta #2: 666
    Ultrasound scheduled for 5w6d
    Baby girl born 8.14.12
  • Options
    We transferred 3.  3 stuck.  It totally varies from person-to-person! GL!
    38. DH 40. TTC since 2005.
    Earlier m/c. DX (finally) 10/10: abnormal acrosome.
    ICSI #1 3dt 11/20/11 HPT BFP 11/30 Our beautiful daughters were born July 28, 2012.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic ** All welcome. **
  • Options

We transferred two and are now expecting a singleton (which is exactly what we were hoping for!).  Sometimes all embies will implant, sometimes just one, sometimes none.  It varies from cycle to cycle.

Best of luck and we hope to see you here in March!

TTC since August 2009
    June/July 2011 - IVF #1 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS
    23 perfect embryos. All 23 made it to freezing!
    September/October - FET #1 - October 12th - 2 Grade A embies
    October 20th - BFP??! EDD - July 1, 2012
    Beta #1 = 154, Beta #2 = 352 Beta #3 = 3,800
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
    Baby Sweets born on her due date!
  • Options

We transferred 2 on day 5 the first round and neither stuck.  We transferred 2 on day 3 the second round and I have one baby boy growing and kicking! :)

Best of luck to you!!

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagewife07mom09:

imageReilly626:
    We transferred two and both stuck and I've heard both their heartbeats. I actually accredit a few things to the two sticking, first RMA of NJ I am one of several friends this has happened to- all have twins, only one vanished. I think the doctor who did my transfer was so skilled on placement he spent close to 20 minutes putting them in the right place. RMA only does a 5 day transfer, I think this is key. The embryo quality/grading. Lying down with my knees up- even the car ride home! He said if they were gonna stick it would be in the next 24 hours. And then of course fate. But it was a combination of all that that led me to two. GL You will know if one doesn't stick, you bleed.

you dont always bleed-I didnt at all 

I haven't had a drop of blood either since my ER and only one stuck.  So that is not always true.  No spotting at all for me.

TTC since 2006
    Me: 36 DH: 40
    DH dx azoospermia My dx: RA & AMA
    d-IUI's--6/10, 7/13 & 8/4: all BFN
    d-IVF#1--Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle/Novarel; mini-dose protocol
    ER: 10/25--18R; 14F; ET: 10/28--3dt of 2 embies; 3 blasts frozen
    + HPT 11/4; Beta #1--14dp3dt: 441; Beta #2--21dp3dt: 9298
    One beautiful jelly bean growing! Saw h/b on 11/28 and 12/5!!!
    P/SAIF welcome
    <a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/mandalinn/?action=view
  • Options
    imageReilly626:

I never bled with any of my failed cycles until I stopped my PIO.
    Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I dont EXACTLY know what happens, but with me, I transferred 2 and became pg with a singleton. I had brown spotting in between my first and second beta and I just assumed it was my other embie. With some people, I think it jjust absorbs, Im not 100% though.

Married November 2007
    DH became a double above knee amputee with traumatic brain injury (TBI) - July 2009
    TTC - August 2009 DX: Severe MFI & TF due to TBI
    DH SA 0 count, started clomid therapy - November 2010
    DH SA 0 count, increased clomid dosage - January 2011
    DH SA 75 million with 60% motility!! - May 2011
    IVF with ICSI ONLY OPTION - May 2011
    3dt of 2 Grade A 8&7 cell embryos May 19, 2011
    +HPT May 30 2011 -- Memorial Day!
    Beta #1 = 34 Beta #2 = 101.8 Beta #3 = 603!
    Expecting beautiful Eden Grace February 7, 2012!
    I don't believe that God ever tells us "no". he has three options. Yes, not right now, or I have something better in mind. We just have to wait & see. BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Same for me: transferred 2, 1 stuck and no bleeding at any point.  For some reason I think I've read more twin mommas having bleeding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"