Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

can a 9 month old have a "tantrum"?

So I have noticed my 9 month old LO throwing herself on the floor and screaming ( not necessarily crying although sometimes it leads to crying) when she doesn't get what she wants ( ie: to chew on the remote control or something).

I usually pick her up and distract but am noticing it especially now that she is understanding " no " more.

I thought it was too young for tantrums.. thoughts?

What do you do?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image

Re: can a 9 month old have a "tantrum"?

• Options

Certianly. Ellie started throwing her head back and screaming and kicking a few months ago when I'd interupt her for stupid things like eating or changing a diaper. Toys are much more important.

ETA: Now she tries to bite or claw my face and neck during these tantrums. She can be a mean little twatwaffle.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think there is anything we can do. If LO is into something she shouldnt be, I try to redirect her and she will throw her head back and kick her legs. Its nuts!  Hopefully as she gets older she will be able to verbalize her issue with her mean mom ;-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's funny b/c I'm sure DS got upset over toys getting taken away and stuff, but it is nothing like the display that DD puts on when she doesn't get her way.  I'm scared for what the future holds!  :)  Although she's much more smiley and has a bigger personality in positive ways as well. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My lo throws her head back as hard as she can when I take something away from her. I just continue to tell her no and try to distract her with something else. It started at about 9 months and has gotten a bit worse now... 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My DD definitely has tantrums, and I think it started around this age with DS too. As soon as they can understand that they aren't getting what they want, they will express that frustration. Just wait until they're three. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

alrighty then. Tantrums for everyone!

so now.. how do you all handle these at this age? I am thinking let her scream it out on her own? This is new for me. I have tried to distract which works but i'm tired and sometimes that feels dare i say mean?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options

Sure.  They don't last long, but they happen.

DD turns her face into a big ol scowl and CRIES crocodile tears if I take something she REALLY wants away.  Most of the time we ignore it, sometimes we redirect.  Just depends on how patient we're feeling.

• Options

Yep. I usually ignore him and eventually (a minute at most) he'll move on to a new and different thing-he-shouldn't-be-playing-with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Our Iphone's cause the worst tantrum's out of Madison.  She throws herself and screams, and melts into the ground all hunched over.  The other day she laid flat on the ground, screamed and kicked her feet.  I stepped over her and went into the kitchen.  This upset her even more since I was not paying attention to her tantrum.  Just this week we are starting to have them with nap time.  The other day I laid her cranky butt down with a bottle.  She was up in five minutes jumping up and down.  I went back in laid her down, five minutes later up again.  After 2-3 more attempts she hunched over and screamed for 15 minutes eventually falling asleep. 

Our solutions is to ignore or redirect.  If its a complete meltdown we ignore, if its a wimper I find something else for her to do or pick her up and move her to something else. 

2nd EDD 02/01/13 - MC 5 1/2 weeks 6/5/12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagemeheron80:

Our Iphone's cause the worst tantrum's out of Madison.  She throws herself and screams, and melts into the ground all hunched over.  The other day she laid flat on the ground, screamed and kicked her feet.  I stepped over her and went into the kitchen.  This upset her even more since I was not paying attention to her tantrum.  Just this week we are starting to have them with nap time.  The other day I laid her cranky butt down with a bottle.  She was up in five minutes jumping up and down.  I went back in laid her down, five minutes later up again.  After 2-3 more attempts she hunched over and screamed for 15 minutes eventually falling asleep. 

Our solutions is to ignore or redirect.  If its a complete meltdown we ignore, if its a wimper I find something else for her to do or pick her up and move her to something else. 

The iphone, my macbook and the tv remote. The minute he sees any of these things light up he HAS to have them. Then proceeds to shake his fists and scream and throw his head back if I don't let him have them. I just sort of ignore and hand him another toy ( which he usually just throws at me) 

• Options

Yeah, DD has started screaming when I take something away that she can't have.

But even better, if I try to pick her up or hold her when she doesn't want to be held, she does this awesome thing where her legs go limp and she throws her entire upper body backwards. I love it.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We ignore it, and he usually stops within a minute!  It takes a lot of patients to ignore it, but I choose to not give him any attention for throwing a fit!  Sometimes I just redirect him and that usually works as well.  If he is getting into something that could cause him harm (i.e. dog dishes) and he just won't listen, then he goes into the playpen for 1min!  This is our spot for time out right now until he is old enough to have a chair or something in the corner....at first when we would put him in the playpen he thought it was fun and he would babble and play with the sides....now he knows why he goes in there and starts to cry. After 1min, I pick him up and talk to him as if he can talk back and tell him why he was in there and that he needs to listen to mommy...then he gets a hug and directed to a toy and he is fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"