High-Risk Pregnancy

Pregnant again too soon after D&C

I had my D&C Oct.20, then only had one cycle and got pg again! My first doctors appointment my doctor ran a pg test on me and it came out positive :). The only thing is she told me my pg is at risk, because my uterus is still trying to heal and may decide to cancel the pg. That day my doctor sent me to the lab to get blood work done to see how high my hcg level is. My next appointment is january 6th. im vary worried about my hcg levels because i have been having no pg symptoms at all. Has anyone ever been through this? if so can you tell me your story?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
CafeMom Tickers
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pregnant again too soon after D&C

• well, several things are "stacked against" you - your uterine lining was stripped away with that D&C. For it to rebuild itself into a plush "garden of goodness" embryos need to implant well, in that short of time, could be questionable.  Gals (like me) who go thru IVF, etc have ultrasounds to look at the endo lining, take meds to help it, etc. but in your case, it is what it is. They can test estrogen levels, and check that lining via u/s, but nothing can really be done at this point. Depending on ovulation, your progesterone levels could be adequate, or compromised. Again, blood tests can tell that.

And one hcg won't tell the whole story, you need 2-3, spaced about 48 hrs apart, to see if they're rising. Depending on how far along you are, the numbers slow down, but typically you look for them to double in 48-72 hours. Once they're past about 2000, you can see things on ultrasound, which is by far the best indicator of what's going on in there right at the moment.

Sometimes moms have symptoms, sometimes they don't. Or they come and go. So you'll just have to do that waiting game, and see what the tests (and future) hold. Most docs will say to wait 3 months after a D&C to try again, some have a differing opinion on that.

Good luck, and congrats on the pregnancy.

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • My doctor had told me that after 1 natural cycle, that we could start trying again.  And with a little help from clomid...I did get pregnant right away.  After going through everything with my D&C, I was very pushy at the beginning about going in for multiple blood orders.  (something my office normally didn't do)  I also made a point about being very nervous about everything as well and was able to go in for ultrasounds at the beginning.  I am now 32 weeks pregnant and besides my GD, everything else is going smoothly.  Best of luck and congratulations!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have experience with getting pregnant right away after D&C, but I will chime in that with my second son I had NO symptoms AT ALL before third tri (no sore boobs, nothing) other than a growing baby bump. =)  I do remember remember that after my miscarriage there were several women on the miscarriage board who got pregnant the cycle after their D&C and miscarriages and they had their babies just fine, so hopefully that will be the case with you. Best of luck and congrats!
  • I had one AF between my D&C and this pregnancy. My doctor knows better at this point to tell me to wait, he told me before I went in for surgery I was fine to start immediately.

Married August 9, 2008
    TTC Since September 2009

1st   BFP | EDD 10/23/10 | Natural M/C 03/27/10 | 10w 0d
    2nd BFP 06/26/10 | EDD 02/25/11 | Natural  M/C 07/17/10 | 8w 1d
    3rd  BFP 12/17/10 | EDD 08/24/11 | Natural M/C 12/31/10 | 7w 4d
    4th  BFP 06/22/11 | EDD 02/25/12 | M/C D&C on 07/27/11 | 9w4d
    5th  BFP 09/17/11 | DD Paige Lily born 05/16/12
    6th  BFP 08/11/12 | EDD 04/11/13 | CP
    7th  BFP 09/29/13 | EDD 06/04/14 | Natural M/C 10/27/13 | 8w1d
    8th  BFP 12/16/13 | EDD 09/01/14

DX: Pericentric Inversion of Chromosome 8 & compound heterozygous for MTHFR mutations
    RX: Lovenox/Heparin & Folgard

• Thank you all very much for your encouraging words! I will be sure to keep you guys posted :).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    CafeMom Tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I want to add to what PPs have said. I have a friend who had a D&C and got pregnant in the next cycle (not even a period in between!). She had fluctuating hcg levels throughout her pregnancies (this was her third try), so she had to give herself progesterone shots daily.

If your dr is only willing to "cancel" the pg, I'd suggest asking for a second opinion. Unless you are in danger, there is always something that can be done to help it along.

It took me weeks to feel pregnancy symptoms; some women don't feel them at all, so don't worry about that. if baby's healthy and you're healthy, that's all that matters.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my dd I did not even have one regular cycle before we got pregnant after a D&C at 10 weeks (she was a wonderful healing surprise). My doctors were not worried about that fact at all.  They tested my HCG levels three times and were more worried about why I miscarried twice in a row (running blood clotting tests because they found blood clots in the umbilical cord of my previous).  GL with your pregnancy and let this pregnancy help you heal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Thanks for this post.... I just got a BFP after one period after a D&C, and I'm kind of freaking out that it is too soon (although my OB gave us the green light to try after one period, so it's not like I went against my doc's orders...). It's pretty nerve-wrecking right now.

Best of luck to us both! 

BFP 9/27/11, EDD 6/3/12, Missed MC 9w3d BFP 1/1/12 EDD 9/7/12 Natural MC 6w3d BFP 5/8/12, EDD 1/15/13 IT'S A GIRL :)Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"