Baby Showers

2nd hand gift baby shower

We trying to reduce our carbon footprint, and save everyone money by encouraging people to bring gently used items instead of new.  I found a great website/registry that allows you to list things you want used and also put links for traditional registries to get some new things too.

We are registering for new cloth diapers, car seat and some other things you can't/shouldn't get used. I figure this registry for new things might work better for some of our friends who prefer to buy new stuff anyways.

I am stuck though on how to word it on the invite.

Should I just list the website on the invite and have it all explained to them when they go to it?

Or should I put on the invite "2nd hand baby shower" and make a side note that we are also registered at Target for some things too?

Or just write on the invite that we are registered at this particular website and that used gifts are preferred/encouraged?

Re: 2nd hand gift baby shower

• I wouldn't try to explain anything on the invite, just list the places where you are registered. If people go to the 2nd hand site, they will get the idea. No explanation needed. Hopefully the people invited to your shower will know you well enough to know your preferences. 

Your hostess can always mention to gusts when they RSVP that you will always appreciate items that have been gently loved. (Please don't say used). But, otherwise, you cannot and should not dictate the kinds of gifts your guests should buy you.  If they want to buy new, let them buy new.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • As for the invitations, let the hostess worry about it.

In regards to used items, don't be surprised if you don't get many at your shower.  I'd be happy to stop by a friend's house with gently used items I know she wants, but I'd feel very awkward giving them as a shower gift.

• Loading the player...
  • imageMelleTX:

I wouldn't try to explain anything on the invite, just list the places where you are registered. If people go to the 2nd hand site, they will get the idea. No explanation needed. Hopefully the people invited to your shower will know you well enough to know your preferences. 

Your hostess can always mention to gusts when they RSVP that you will always appreciate items that have been gently loved. (Please don't say used). But, otherwise, you cannot and should not dictate the kinds of gifts your guests should buy you.  If they want to buy new, let them buy new.

What she said. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This might be one time I really think creative poetry would come in handy. If you could write something cute up saying your goal is to reduce your carbon footprint and so on. The bottom of the invite could say something about "mom is also registered at Target" or something.
  • Let the website and the hostess explain it to people. Also, like PP said, don't be surprised if most people still bring you a new gift. I would feel awkward just bringing used stuff. I would probably get a small item off your registry even if I was bringing a bunch of hand-me-downs.
  • imageSVAQ11:
    Let the website and the hostess explain it to people. Also, like PP said, don't be surprised if most people still bring you a new gift. I would feel awkward just bringing used stuff. I would probably get a small item off your registry even if I was bringing a bunch of hand-me-downs.

Ditto. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am also hoping to receive hand-me-down items, but that's not going on the invite or registry.  I've told MIL (who's chomping at the bit to host a shower) that when the time comes, I'd appreciate her passing the word along that we'd be thrilled with hand-me-down toys, swing, bouncer, clothes, books, etc.  I told her I'll give her the password to the registry so she can delete items from it if she knows someone's found a used item that will suffice.

My husband doesn't think it'll work, but I really hope it does!

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • On my Target registry, there is a space to write a message, so I put in there for people to please use this is a wish list for us, but to feel free to purchase things used, or elsewhere if they are cheaper.  I also put that we love hand-me-downs.  People can choose to buy second hand or not.  We aren't too particular on everything matching or being a specific style/color, so people can find something similar.

I've already had my sisters call and tell me to mark something as purchased on my registry because they got one for me already (like craigslist, rummage sale, hand-me-down).  Yes, I know that kind of ruins the surpise, but I don't actually get the item or get to see what it actually looks like until the shower.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Ok, so I'm in the mood for a nice poem.

Roses are red, 

Violets are blue

Please let the baby

Be the only thing new!

New toys, swings and such are really quite swell

But already loved is awesome as well

It's not so bad, it's not so wrong

To find some used things and pass them along

There are a few things, such as diapers and wipes

Must be bought new, they can't be used twice

For those things and others, we must find them new

We've started a registry if you'd like to view! 

.......and a fun one.

Some people like new things

Some people like old

We like them both

If they're clean with no mold

Feel free to buy old stuff

Feel free to buy new

Whichever is fine

It's all up to you

So clean out your closets,

Garage Sales, and more

Don't rush off to Babies R US

or some pricey store!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Ballsox, you never disappoint!  The part about the mold made me giggle...
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageLiz4444:
    Ballsox, you never disappoint!  The part about the mold made me giggle...

Glad I could assist.  I forgot to add, however, I think poems are stupid and it should be word of mouth.  Or you could do like I did, spend the 30-odd weeks before your shower buying the your own stuff when you find it used. Then you only put what you haven't gotten (which for us, was actually very little) on your registry and let your hostess spread the word of mouth that comparable items (used or new) were more than welcome.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Actually you can get second hand cloth diapers. Just wash them properly, obviously.
  • imagePunkyBooster:
    Actually you can get second hand cloth diapers. Just wash them properly, obviously.

Yes 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone! I especially like the poetry=) .
  • Gift registry info. and any special requests should be done by word of mouth only.
  • I feel the second option would be a good one and you are doing a great thing, I must say.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"