Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Anyone's LO not much of a roller?

DS has been able to roll belly to back since 2 months.  He didn't roll back to belly until 5 months and still doesn't do it very often.  He has done it so I know he can do it but he just doesn't want to.  He prefers to be on his back and now that he sits well, he likes to sit up.  I just wonder how he is going to learn how to crawl if he is not developing his upper body strength by rolling.  We still do tummy time and he still hates it.  My first ds was rolling around the house at 4 months and DS2 has never rolled like that.  He is meeting every other milestone on time but he kind of skipped rolling.  Anyone else?

Re: Anyone's LO not much of a roller?

• DS is 9 months old and doesn't roll very often.  I had to bribe him to do it awhile ago, and only recently will he occasionally do it, so I know he CAN do it but I think he pretends he doesn't know how to. haha.  Sometmes he would rather be on his back crying for help, which totally confuses me....but the good news is, he is crawling like there is no tomorrow.  He is ALL over the place and has been since about 7.5-8 months old.  He is very close to walking and can pull himself up very well.  Maybe just practice with your DS occasionally.  It is still important that he gets his tummy time, but I don't think it is that big of a deal if he isn't rolling like crazy. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLaurenL977:
    DS is 9 months old and doesn't roll very often.  I had to bribe him to do it awhile ago, and only recently will he occasionally do it, so I know he CAN do it but I think he pretends he doesn't know how to. haha.  Sometmes he would rather be on his back crying for help, which totally confuses me....but the good news is, he is crawling like there is no tomorrow.  He is ALL over the place and has been since about 7.5-8 months old.  He is very close to walking and can pull himself up very well.  Maybe just practice with your DS occasionally.  It is still important that he gets his tummy time, but I don't think it is that big of a deal if he isn't rolling like crazy. :)

Good to know!  Did your LO start crawling from the sitting position?

• Loading the player...
  • DS rolled from tummy to back at 2 weeks. He finally rolled back to tummy at about 5 months. I thought for sure he'd figure out that he could move by rolling, but he hasn't. He loves sitting, and if he can't reach something, he "lays" down on his side (instead of falling) and then goes to his tummy to reach for it. And when he's ready to sit back up, he will roll onto his back and cry. (If he's getting tired, he won't roll back over - he'll just scream until I pick him up)

I honestly think part of the reason he doesn't roll is because all of the other babies in his room at daycare are either non-mobile or crawling. He doesn't have anyone to watch that is rolling. He wants to crawl - he gets on his tummy and will sometimes push his knees up under his tummy - he just doesn't have he coordination/strength to do it!

Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD can roll also, but mostly chooses not too. She also does this weird thing when on her belly where she can't roll to her back again because one of her arms is stretched out to the side preventing her from rolling back on to it. Don't know why she does it (if I move her arm out of the way for her she rolls like a champ).

If she wants a toy, she will roll to her side, and she rolls to her belly at night to sleep, but other than that, she just hangs out content. She sits up on her own, pushes up on to her arms, and is trying to pull up to standing. We work with Early Intervention because of some mild delays, and the therapist didn't seem to think it was an issue because she was able to do it, just chose not to.

• My LO is the same way. She was nearly rolling over from belly to back very young but she didn't quite get it until she was 4 months.... I don't remember exactly! But around 4 months. But, anyway, she is able to roll both ways, I have seen her do it. But she just doesn't want to. I worry about the crawling thing too, but when I asked the nurse about it she said they weren't worried and that crawling isn't even a necessity and its not on the chart of things they look for at any age because some go strait to walking. I have also heard some on here say they have or know babies who didn't crawl until up to a year old. So your LO might not even crawl or he might take a while longer. But I would try not to worry about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"