April 2012 Moms
Options

Do you have a will?

If not when are you going to make one? I am gonna talk to C about making our with our tax return. We know that if something were to happen my mom would be the guardian of our kids, but we need to make it official. 

If yes, about how much did it cost and what did you put in it?  

i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.

Re: Do you have a will?

• Options
    We don't, but we should.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options
    No, and we definitely need to get it done ASAP.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    no, we need to. We need to really figure out our guardianship too. My mom and MIL will probably fight to the death for custody if we don't have a specific split-custody agreement.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We're drawing one up before the baby comes.  In the event of our untimely death there are certain people who can NOT be responsible for our child. That's my motivation.
  • Options

I don't think my ILs would fight my mom, but I do want specific visitation for my ILs because I don't think my mom would share well.  

i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options
    We do not currently have one but plan on having one put together before the baby comes. We know who would take the baby but I want to have something in place so our assets don't get tied up in court for years should something happen to us.
    aka- DavidsBride2Be
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Since it was just me and H, I just had him as beneficiary on all my accounts and insurance policies and my brother as a secondary beneficiary if something happened to Tim.

I guess it's a good thought to put a plan in place for baby.

• Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!  We have guardians chosen for our daughter and they know who they are, but I really need to get our will done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

we did have one right after we got married but they are only good for each state and we moved from CO 2 years ago.

It's on my to-do list before the baby comes- or at least to have it started/meet with someone. I just printed out info for advanced directives from my hospital and I guess we'll work on that first.

• Options

We don't currently but I want one before LO is born. We don't have much as far as assets, but I want it clearly stated who Hannah will live with in the event of something awful.

Instead of a living will for L&D, I am leaving all medical decisions up to DH. We have talked and if it were ever a decision of who to save, it would be me. 

Other than that we have some life INS and anything else would go to Hannah, my sister and her husband (they would be her guardians).

Not sure of the cost, luckily DH is an attorney and is going to write ours up this week. It seems pretty cut and dry depending on assets. Just depends on the attorney's hourly rate. 

• Options

I signed up for the lawyer plan as a part of my benefits in 2012, we will be using that for our will. I want to make sure that my sis and BIL get the baby, and all of our life insurance should something happen.

I doubt anyone would fight, but money makes people crazy.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am actually an estate planning attorney, so I have a Trust, a power of attorney for finances and health care, etc.

Like a PP said, the cost will depend on the attorney's hourly rate, and if it is something they do all the time (some people say they do wills, but it's not their main practice area).  You can typically name your estate administrators, and specify your preferences for guardian for your kids.  

Please, please, please go see an attorney to make sure your documents are done right.  Online and "bookstore" forms have so many issues with the forms themselves, not to mention the fact that often, people don't execute the documents correctly.  If it's not done right, it may not be valid at all.  

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLittlesven:

I am actually an estate planning attorney, so I have a Trust, a power of attorney for finances and health care, etc.

Like a PP said, the cost will depend on the attorney's hourly rate, and if it is something they do all the time (some people say they do wills, but it's not their main practice area).  You can typically name your estate administrators, and specify your preferences for guardian for your kids.  

Please, please, please go see an attorney to make sure your documents are done right.  Online and "bookstore" forms have so many issues with the forms themselves, not to mention the fact that often, people don't execute the documents correctly.  If it's not done right, it may not be valid at all.  

I have been wondering about online and didn't know if I could trust it or not

• Options
    We have wills, trusts, powers of attorney and advance directives.  We had it done before we had #2. Cost about $1100 and worth every penny for that peace of mind. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

We probably should get that stuff done. I know both my H and I would prefer that, should something happen, my parents take our child. I doubt my ILs would try to get custody of her, but we don't want my MIL raising our child, she's horribly unreliable.

As far as wills go I just don't know. I personally have no assets, aside from a crappy car, and since we don't live in a community property state, the house is only my H's. We should probably figure that out.

-------------------------------------
  • Options
    imageLittlesven:

Also you need to get these wills notarized and it's almost impossible to find someone willing to notarize a will that was prepared by a third party. 

OP: 

My mom works for an attorney so fortunately they didn't charge us since she's worked there for 15 years.

Main things in our wills (if something happens to just DH, everything goes to me and vice versa)  

-  who would get our kids plus a second choice.

- who would be in charge of settling our assets (selling our cars and houses, closing our accounts, etc),

- who would be the beneficiaries of our assets if something were to happen to all of us (if it's just DH and I, our kids get everything)

- we also said that our life insurance money would be in an account where our kids will have to go through my brother to access to it until they are 25. 

Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • Options
    imagesoftskate31:

We spent $1800 on an estate planning lawyer to help us draw up a will, living will, and a trust for our children. 

In the event of a work related accident for DH, there would be a large payout, so we wanted to make sure our money would be protected appropriately for the long term care of me and the kids.

EEEK Surprise, I had no idea it would be that costly....I've been dragging my feet on this for years Embarrassed.  Wow, I know it is money well spent but wow!!!!

• Options
    We don't, just beneficiciaries for insurance policies. We need to draw something up when Lillian is here. We have talked about it recently. 

Lillian April 17, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"