Baby Showers

Yes, it's a girl. No, we don't want pink!

2»

Re: Yes, it's a girl. No, we don't want pink!

• imageJaiMacreiberts:

Wow, a lot of you are really taking this personally.  First of all, I'm hardly having a meltdown over pink things.  I'm not "in a tizzy" or getting "puffed up" over these things but merely ranting online which I figured was a safe place to vent some hormones so that no one actually involved would know I was irritated.

Also, if you'll read the post, I'm less upset about pink and more about the IL's deliberately lying to people just to annoy me and DH.  I never said I'd be rude to anyone who bought a gift, it would just be nice if the ILs would say (if asked only) "they want a lot of colors for the LO so they aren't stuck with too much pink" instead of "Oh, they want her in pink frilly things -- just can't wait to make her a princess!" 

It has to do with the nursery because some people buy toys, blankets and other nursery gifts that will look just silly in my nursery.  I had to buy a diaper bag because MIL wouldn't hear of buying one that wasn't pink and I couldn't bear the thought of making DH carry that silly thing around.  We bought a much more neutral version that he also feels comfortable carrying.

MIL has also told me that she'll be putting the giant flowers and bows on DD's head whenever she's around "so she'll feel pretty."  I hate them because I've seen them cause babies PAIN and won't have them on my child.  Honestly, I'm hoping the dogs will chew them all up.  MIL loves the dogs so much that she'd never be mad.

And I have requested that there be no baby shower, but I've been told that it's rude to request such a thing.  So I get to go guess the candy bar in the diaper and measuring mommy's tummy (which I have been informed WILL happen) with a smile on my face so as not to be rude.  

So, forgive me for coming on here to vent a little steam and say things that I can't say in real life.  I'll be sure to stay away from now on because obviously there are too many hormones around here to keep you all from being judgmental witches.

(To those of you who agree with me that pink is annoying, I'm glad you understand.  Yes, I don't doubt that the kid will wear pink at different points and that she'll be doing very gross things to them so there will be some justice. Also, to the lady with the Harry Potter nursery, I'm very jealous of that idea!  It sounds amazing and I may do that if there's ever another time around.)

I think that your concerns are valid:  you've expressed YOUR wishes about YOUR child and you expect that those wishes are respected.  This is less about "pink" than it is about respecting what you as parents desire for your kid!  Simply put, it will start off with the simple issue of now wanting pink and will end up as a much larger issue of in-law disrespect as the child gets older.  If you've made it clear that you don't want a shower & it's insisted on, then that's not your problem anymore.  You absolutely should have a problem with anyone who can't respect what you do/do not want...even if it is as simple as pink! 

Coming August 2012...Baby Braxton Sebastian Grant!
  • imageSDeniseLandry:
    imageJaiMacreiberts:

Wow, a lot of you are really taking this personally.  First of all, I'm hardly having a meltdown over pink things.  I'm not "in a tizzy" or getting "puffed up" over these things but merely ranting online which I figured was a safe place to vent some hormones so that no one actually involved would know I was irritated.

Also, if you'll read the post, I'm less upset about pink and more about the IL's deliberately lying to people just to annoy me and DH.  I never said I'd be rude to anyone who bought a gift, it would just be nice if the ILs would say (if asked only) "they want a lot of colors for the LO so they aren't stuck with too much pink" instead of "Oh, they want her in pink frilly things -- just can't wait to make her a princess!" 

It has to do with the nursery because some people buy toys, blankets and other nursery gifts that will look just silly in my nursery.  I had to buy a diaper bag because MIL wouldn't hear of buying one that wasn't pink and I couldn't bear the thought of making DH carry that silly thing around.  We bought a much more neutral version that he also feels comfortable carrying.

MIL has also told me that she'll be putting the giant flowers and bows on DD's head whenever she's around "so she'll feel pretty."  I hate them because I've seen them cause babies PAIN and won't have them on my child.  Honestly, I'm hoping the dogs will chew them all up.  MIL loves the dogs so much that she'd never be mad.

And I have requested that there be no baby shower, but I've been told that it's rude to request such a thing.  So I get to go guess the candy bar in the diaper and measuring mommy's tummy (which I have been informed WILL happen) with a smile on my face so as not to be rude.  

So, forgive me for coming on here to vent a little steam and say things that I can't say in real life.  I'll be sure to stay away from now on because obviously there are too many hormones around here to keep you all from being judgmental witches.

(To those of you who agree with me that pink is annoying, I'm glad you understand.  Yes, I don't doubt that the kid will wear pink at different points and that she'll be doing very gross things to them so there will be some justice. Also, to the lady with the Harry Potter nursery, I'm very jealous of that idea!  It sounds amazing and I may do that if there's ever another time around.)

I think that your concerns are valid:  you've expressed YOUR wishes about YOUR child and you expect that those wishes are respected.  This is less about "pink" than it is about respecting what you as parents desire for your kid!  Simply put, it will start off with the simple issue of now wanting pink and will end up as a much larger issue of in-law disrespect as the child gets older.  If you've made it clear that you don't want a shower & it's insisted on, then that's not your problem anymore.  You absolutely should have a problem with anyone who can't respect what you do/do not want...even if it is as simple as pink! 

I think our point is, you have to pick your battles.  This simply isn't the hill to die on.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"