Babies: 6 - 9 Months

How to give your baby medicine?

Normal 0 false false false EN-ZA X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} Hi ladies

I really need your advice.

On Friday my daughter (8months old) was diagnosed with Hypotonic Epilepsy. So she has been put on chronic medication Epilim.

My daughter puts up such a fight to take the medicine. I normally give her her medicine with a dropper. She is now clever she now stores it in her mouth for a few minutes until I look somewhere else and then she will let her jaw drop and let the medicine fall out.

I even put it the meds in a small bottle of milk, which worked for 2 days. So now I?m back at square one...

I don?t know what she puts up such a fight its Cherry flavour...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: How to give your baby medicine?

• I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis - I hope the meds help.  DS will also leave meds in his mouth.  It sounds mean, but sometimes it's the only thing that works: after we put the meds in with a dropper, we blow on his face.  It startles him into swallowing. 
    PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This sounds like torture and feels mean while you do it but what I'm about to describe lasts 3 seconds.  When DS was 4 months old he got his first ear infection and was not having the meds.  We had to hold his nose and mouth shut.  Again, I'm talking about 3 seconds only!!  But he swallowed.  With that said, I'd try a different flavoring, that made all the difference in the world for his 2nd & 3rd ear infections!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We dispense the medicine that's in the syringe into a clean nipple and have it suck it out of there. It's the best idea my mom gave me and works like a charm. He just sucks it down!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When we give DS medicine, we lay him on his back and squirt the medicine into the side of his mouth. He's usually fine with it, but if he's being difficult, then we squirt in the back of his mouth and he'll usually swallow involuntarily. Gravity helps.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • I agree with PP's about blowing in their face after putting it in their mouth...DD is also on a daily antibiotic for kidney reflux and when she was in the hospital the nurse told us to do that to ensure she swallows it.  Also, you might try changing flavors...DD hates the grape antibiotic, but loves bubble gum.  Give that a try!
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBabalonia:

We dispense the medicine that's in the syringe into a clean nipple and have it suck it out of there.

This is what we do with DD's reflux medication.  It is super nasty, so we also have them add grape flavoring.

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

• imageBeetleLinz1125:
    I agree with PP's about blowing in their face after putting it in their mouth...DD is also on a daily antibiotic for kidney reflux and when she was in the hospital the nurse told us to do that to ensure she swallows it.  Also, you might try changing flavors...DD hates the grape antibiotic, but loves bubble gum.  Give that a try!

Wow that is a great idea thank you. 

By the way I love your photo!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"