Food Allergy

New to this board

Hi ladies,

I was pretty regular on TB during my pregnancy but since having LO I haven't been as active. So when this came up I knew right where to go to look for support.

On Christmas Eve we were all having cookies so I gave LO a piece to gnaw on. His face, neck and arm/hand where he was tyring to itch his face and neck erupted in hives within a minute. I realized that it was a peanut butter cookie and after calling the nurse line headed to the ER. I had wiped his face and neck with a wet paper towel before we left and that seemed to help a little bit. At the ER they gave him Benedryl and watched him for a while. I am thankful that it was a skin reaction and not a respiratory reaction this time.

We have an appointment on Friday with the allergist for skin testing and I'm not sure what else. I'm nervous that it's going to hurt LO but I know in the long run it's good to know exactly what he is allergic to.

He has had excema (sp?) since he was just a month or two old so I'm not overly surprised that he has allergies. I guess it's only a matter of time until the asthma starts. But I sure hope it doesn't progress to that.

It's pretty scary to think that for the rest of his life he is going to have to be so careful with what he eats. I picture the peanut free signs on his classroom doors and worrying that he will go some where and accidentally eat something he's allergic to. He's such a sweet precious little guy, it makes me sad to think of how allergies can change someone's life but I know that it could be worse.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to getting to know you ladies.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New to this board

• Welcome. I just found out this week DS is allergic to a few different things. He's getting an endoscopy on Tuesday and having the skin test done the following week. The doctors are hopeful and say most kids grow out of their allergies by age 5 so I'm just hoping that's our case. I had extreme allergies and asthma when I was his age and I grew out of most of them by 5 with the exception of asthma. I broke down in tears today just worrying and my husband reminded me that until we know what we're dealing with it's not worth thinking about worst case. I know easier said than done but it's true.

GL at the testing on Friday. I look forward to getting to know you.

• Welcome and good luck at the blood test.  Dealing with food allergies is overwhelming at first, sometimes sad and often stressful.  But you do what you have to in order to keep your LO safe.  You will find a new routine and see that you CAN manage this.

Good luck and keep us updated.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"