April 2012 Moms
Options

Can you crochet? Help please!

I was given some baby yarn as a Christmas present so I bought a crochet hook and tried making a sleep sack. My friend claimed to know how to crochet and showed me how to do it and left. Well I now have a straight line and have no idea how to continue and actually make it into more than a long string. From what i've been reading online i should have started making "turns" right away? I'm completely lost & i would like to not have to start over. If anyone knows what they are doing and can help me safe this, i would be willing to make anything baby it doesn't have to be a sleep sack. And detailed step by step directions would be very appreciated (seriously speak to me like i'm slow it can only help).

Thanks so much! 

Re: Can you crochet? Help please!

• Options
    So you have a 'chain' (long string) done?  Did your friend teach you any stitches, single crochet, double crochet, anything?  What stitch is the pattern calling for?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    If you have a chain, you don't start turning and crocheting back until you're done chaining... so for example if the pattern says "chain 80", then you do the chain stitch 80 times until you have a long "string" (lol) and THEN you turn and do your actual stitch.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

MEASUREMENTS
    Cocoon: Approx circumference 24 ins [61 cm] x 24 ins [61 cm] deep unfolded.
    Hat: Approx circumference 16 ins [40.5 cm].

Materials
    Bernat? Pipsqueak (250 g/8.8 oz; 274 m/300 yds)
    Hat Cocoon
    58306 (Baby Baby Print) 1 2 ball(s)
    or Bernat? Pipsqueak (100 g/3.5 oz; 109 m/120 yds)
    Hat Cocoon
    59306 (Baby Baby Print) 1 ball(s)

Size 6 mm (U.S. J or 10) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge.

Gauge: 11 sc and 10 rows = 4 ins [10 cm].

Abbreviations: www.bernat.com/abbreviations

Instructions
    Note:
     Ch 3 at beg of rnd counts as dc.
    Cocoon
    **Ch 4. Join in ring with sl st in first ch.
    1st rnd: Ch 3. 11 dc in ring. Join with sl st to top of ch 3. 12 dc.
    2nd rnd: Ch 3. 1 dc in same sp as sl st. 2 dc in each dc around.
    Join with sl st to top of ch 3. 24 dc.**
    3rd rnd: Ch 3. 1 dc in same sp as sl st. *1 dc in each of next 2 dc. 2 dc in next dc. Rep from * to last 2 dc. 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. Join with sl st to top of ch 3. 32 dc.
    4th rnd: Ch 3. 1 dc in same sp as sl st. *1 dc in each of next 3 dc. 2 dc in next dc. Rep from * to last 3 dc. 1 dc in each of last 3 dc. Join with sl st to top of ch 3. 40 dc.
    5th rnd: Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as sl st. Ch 1. *1 sc in next dc. Ch 1.
    Rep from * around. Join with sl st to first sc. 80 sts. Place marker at end of rnd.
    6th rnd: Sl st in next ch-1 sp. Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as sl st. *Ch 1.
    Miss next sc. 1 sc in next ch-1 sp. Rep from * around. Ch 1. Miss last sc. Join with sl st to first sc.
    Rep last rnd for pat until work from marked rnd measures 24 ins [61 cm]. Fasten off.

Hat
    Rep from ** to ** as given for Cocoon.
    3rd rnd: Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as sl st. Ch 1. *1 sc in next dc. Ch 1. Rep from * around. Join with sl st to first sc. 48 sts. Place marker at end of rnd.
    4th rnd: Sl st in next ch-1 sp. Ch 1. 1 sc in same sp as sl st. *Ch 1. Miss next sc. 1 sc in next ch-1 sp. Rep from * around. Ch 1. Miss last sc. Join with sl st to first sc.
    Rep last rnd for pat until work from marked rnd measures 4 ins [10 cm]. Fasten off.

• Options

Oh! It's rounds! Yes, you definitely shouldn't have a long string.... :)

What, exactly, did your friend teach you? It might be easier for me to describe what to do then. Can you PIP it? 

• Options
    What i've got is basically a series of slip knots.
  • Options
    Oh my! Good for you for going at it! I started with scarves befofe graduating to anything complicated. I still can't follow directions, so I just search for stuff on youtube. There are a lot of helpful videos on there. Good luck!
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    The YouTube suggestion is a great one! Then at least you could actually see what they're doing! The pattern you posted isnt hard at all - you can definitely do it as a beginner! 

• Options

imagekdrake8:
    The YouTube suggestion is a great one! Then at least you could actually see what they're doing! The pattern you posted isnt hard at all - you can definitely do it as a beginner! 

This. I taught myself to knit continental and english style from YouTube and I also learned to crochet that way too.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I learned from Youtube, I'm working on my very first blanket right now and it's going great! You tube is my friend!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am in the process of learning and I started out with a blanket, pretty simple.  It is just a series of of 3 double crotchets and 2 chain stitches.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

There are tons of youtube videos that will show you step by step.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"