Adoption
Options

SSn or Adoption Tax ID #?

So.....we finalized on December 14th and we wont get our Birth Cert until the end of February. And then the SSn I will apply for that week and then wait another 2 weeks to receive the number.  

My question is can we apply for the adoption tax ID number or because we are finalized we HAVE to wait until the BC and SSN come in the mail to file taxes.

Basically we want the quickest way for filing taxes for the tax credit.  

Any ideas??? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: SSn or Adoption Tax ID #?

• Options

I would apply for the tax ID#, as that will take a while to come too.  Sounds like you will be cutting really close to the filing deadline if you wait for SSN.  If the SSN happens to come, you can always file under that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My tax professional who specializes in foster and adoption taxes, said that you need to have the SSN to file and will have to send in adoption certificate as well.  So you may want to check with your tax person, I have never heard of this Adoption Tax ID you are referring to. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't see the issue with time, we got the new birth cert within weeks of finalization and then I went right to SS and changed DD's number and that only took 2 weeks to get her new number and card in the mail. I think you have plenty of time to wait for the new SS#.

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We got our Adoption Tax Id in 3 weeks. We have not finalized yet. We have one more post placement home visit then we can go to court.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Your adoption decree can also be used as a new birth certificate until the official one comes in. I *just* did DD's SSN today.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"