Food Allergy

Flying with an epi pen?

Is security going to give me grief about this? I have an allergy 'kit' that has Benadryl and my daughter's epi pen in it. We fly out of O'Hare on Friday.

Re: Flying with an epi pen?

• It needs to be in its original packaging, and last year the airline (don't remember which one) required a doctors note stating that benadryl and the epi-pen were medically necessary.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Wow, thanks for posting this.  We're flying in Feb and I hadn't even thought of it being a concern. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I just flew out of DC and Boston with Benadryl and an epi pen with no problems.  They didn't ask for a doctor's note.  I just had to declare them ahead of time, and they took out the meds and did a separate screening.  The TSA agents were very nice.

ETA: The epi pen was in it's original packaging with my DD's name on it, and the Benadryl was a new unopened bottle.

• Thank you! I lost the original packaging when we moved a few weeks ago, so I just called the pharmacy and they printed a new label for me to bring with.

Also, I checked on the Epi Pen website, and they recommend declaring it to the TSA agents and having it manually inspected instead of being x-rayed, as the effects of x-ray on epinephrine are unknown. 

Their website also gives some advice on flying with allergies, if anyone is interested. It's not super concerning with my daughter's allergy, as she is allergic to shellfish, but I think it would be if she were allergic to peanuts or something similar.

Oh, and at the advice of another person, I picked up the Benadryl perfect measure spoons to avoid any issues with having a bottle of liquid Benadryl. 

• imageTapDancingLlamas:
    It needs to be in its original packaging, and last year the airline (don't remember which one) required a doctors note stating that benadryl and the epi-pen were medically necessary.

i have never done this.  i have flown over a dozen times with DS and his epi pen and benadryl, tylenol and advil.  they are not in original packaging and i do not have an RX.  i have them in the plastic bag container that came with our diaper bag and just put that plastic bag with the rest of my liquids.  no one has ever said anything at all.  i doubt they would give a mom a problem if they are told that a kid has allergies.  

DS1 10/5/09 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We flown with DHs for many years in many US and nonUS airports. We've never had a dr note and always just pulled it out and set it on top of everything going into the scanner. Often I've pointed it out but never any problems.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"